Author Topic: Headlamp Tilt Adjustment Mechanism  (Read 4143 times)

Rob Vespa

• Scooter
on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:48 pm
This is my second casualty of vibration (the first being the horn bracket).  Yesterday while pulling away from a stoplight, I thought I heard a light metallic ting (I did).  The bike didn't fall apart, so I continued riding.  Later that day, on the ride home, the large screw* on top of the headlamp began spinning in circles (*which I now know allegedly adjusts the tilt (thanks, other threads!).  My light adjuster must not have been connected properly as it did nothing).  This is where I realized that I did, in fact, hear something fall off of the bike.

Several questions:

• What parts do I need?  I have a screw.
  • Do I actually need these parts?
  • How are the parts in question put back together?  Having recently replaced several bulbs with LEDs (thanks, others!), I know there is a triangular bracket of sorts attached to the screw.  That was it.  On my bike, the bracket wasn't connected to anything (which I wondered about).  My two-cent guess is that this piece is supposed to act like a wedge that pushes the headlight forward (and the spring pushes it back).
  • Why do you have to pay for an exploded parts list?  You know, that you'll then order parts from.  Note: This is a rhetorical question.  I find the process of finding parts (and instructions for installing the aforementioned parts) frustrating.  I think it is in the best interests of RE USA to (actually) list everything they sell... in an intuitive manner... with good descriptions... and with instructions.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
| 2009 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe AVL
| 2004 Triumph Speedmaster

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:23:55 pm
If something fell off inside the headlight, it should still be there. Did the headlight fall out? When I hear that little "ting" up front and see the screw spinning, the tinging is the headlight bouncing off the fender, hanging by the wires!  If you're talking about the top screw, there is a flat piece of strap steel clip with turned up ends and a threaded hole in the middle for the screw that catches on to the lip in the casquette. It is possible that it fell out of the the back of the casquette.
Since my whole headlight fell out and the clip had unscrewed and fill out with the headlight. I tried to find another one and ended up getting one from a vintage Triumph parts store. But it's real purpose isn't adjustment, although that is the secondary use of the slot, it's really used to keep the headlight in if you get the optional ones that have a separate trim ring ahead of the one that is one piece on the stock version. If there was anything else on the headlight up there, I don't remember it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Rob Vespa

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:13 pm
Thanks for the response.  The headlight didn't fall out, just the clip that was attached to the top screw.  There is no back to the headlamp assembly (casquette?), so the clip fell out and onto the ground.

To my knowledge, the clip wasn't holding anything.  When I replaced bulbs with LEDs, I saw it hanging there and wondered what it's purpose was.  I tried to connect it to -anything- with no success.  Granted, that's while the headlight was out, so if it was supposed to be tightened to a rim, that didn't happen (and it wasn't holding anything on).  After reading your response again, perhaps it doesn't do anything with the stock light?

If I recall correctly, on my bike (AVL) the outer headlight ring has a lip on top that rests on a small ridge (holding it in place).  The bottom of the ring has a hole and is attached by a small screw (which can be a bit of a bear to get back in).  There are two other small screws on the outside that hold on the inner rim.  There are three screws on the inner rim that can be loosened and it then turns and can be pulled off, freeing the headlight.

The front of the outside rim has two open holes.  I'm not sure what their purpose is.

Rob

If something fell off inside the headlight, it should still be there. Did the headlight fall out? Since my whole headlight fell out and the clip had unscrewed and fill out with the headlight. I tried to find another one and ended up getting one from a vintage Triumph parts store. But it's real purpose isn't adjustment, although that is the secondary use of the slot, it's really used to keep the headlight in if you get the optional ones that have a separate trim ring ahead of the one that is one piece on the stock version.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:36:01 pm by Rob Vespa »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:47:27 pm
If you have the original casquette there should be a phillips screw in each hole to adjust the headlight.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:48:38 pm
After reading your response again, perhaps it doesn't do anything with the stock light?

The top screw and the little clamping clip that you have lost should be tightened to to hold the top of the ring. It may have fallen off previous to you ever having taken the headlight off initially. The slot in the casquette will allow some fore and aft (vertical) adjsutment in the headlight beam, but it doesn't look very good with the gap it leaves.
The two holes in the front of the stock rim has screws behind it that are also solely for adjustment. These are the ones that make that puny headlight "legal" for DOT. There are two more in the bottom ring that hold the whole assembly on. These are the ones that kept your headlight from  falling out.
If you get most of the optional 7" headlight assys, they have two rings, one that screws to the casquette using the two bottom holes and the top on goes through that inot the casquette with the clip on it The front  ring holds the headlight and has a tab on the bottom that goes into a slot on the aforementioned back ring. Then you pivot that up to make it flush and tighten the top screw in the rear ring that pulls the clip with the little bent tip that catches the flange on the front ring. That screw had a habit of unscrewing which released the clip from the front ring flange. The headlight would Then fall forward and slip out of the tab and slot on the bottom. The stock ring doesn't have the same problem as it is one piece and only uses the clip to hold it tight against the casquette. The bottom screws will help hold it, too. However it should still be in there or the top screw is doing nothing the the headlight is not quite as secure as it should be. Those bottom screws can come out, too! I lost those, too. Here is a spot where a little blue loctite does wonders! I haven't had any more problems since the application!
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Rob Vespa

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:34:50 am
Thanks - I'll track down the part number for the clip and put it back on (with a little loctite, which I'll use on the other screws, too).