Author Topic: 350cc UCE launched in India  (Read 14196 times)

rochitsen

• Scooter
  • At 13,500 feet on Rohtang Pass
on: May 20, 2008, 02:03:11 am
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share this with you guys. The 350cc UCE has been launched in India in certain dealerships.
The new engine has found room in the current model - THUNDERBIRD that is sold in India with a 350cc AVL Lean Burn motor.

http://www.cubiccapacity.com/royal-enfield-thunderbird-twin-spark-finally-in-showrooms/

The company will officially launch this in sometime i guess.

happy thumping,

Rochit

prof_stack

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 04:52:05 am
I'm surprised no one has replied to this as of yet. 

If the UCE motor is polished up it will make a much better impression on the US market.  I don't like the flat metal look to it in the photo.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:36:07 am
I don't like the sheet metal shifter;  looks cheesy and Honda-like.  I don't like the kick start lever;  too many bends, looks like some kind of an offset crow's  foot ratchet or wheelchair part or something.  But I like the engine, and I like the flat finish. 
The shape of the cylinder and head looks somewhat like the cylinders on a new design V-twin engine that came out last year;  S&S X-Wedge. 
(Now if they would tip that jug forward about 22.5 degrees, and stick another in back of it at 22,5 degrees, now that would be an engine)!!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:52 am
The Stomach Pump cometh..
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

abe

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:36:07 am
Well I am glad I have an old Iron Classic, I am sure that this is a great motor but it's too new for me.  The two spark plugs is cool, but it reminds me of many a Honda, not that there is anything wrong with that, I guess........ :-\

Would make a fine dirt bike!

just my 2 cents.

abe out....

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 10:44:05 pm
(Now if they would tip that jug forward about 22.5 degrees, and stick another in back of it at 22,5 degrees, now that would be an engine)!!
[/quote]

Geez, if they did that it'd look like a Hardly Ableson, and our favorite Thumper'd just be another in that over-cluttered potato-potato patch. :'(  IMHO the vertical single cylinder has CLASS.  But that's just my opinion. ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:54:32 am
They need to not smear chrome all over the place. 
I would design in a few more inches of wheelbase;  I think it would make for a more graceful frame, and make it a bit easier on us long legged fellows.
I would offer the option of a nacelle/no nacelle,  maybe an option of blacked out cases.
They're not gonna make a V-twin, but if they did, it certainly would be unique from a Harley.  Everybody made V-twins years ago,  I think even the hardcore Harley guys appreciate a break and diversion from the otherwise banal sea of Road Kings, and "soooofffttails." 
A lot of the aftermarket and garage built industry is all about getting as far away from "corporate" as we can.  Don'cha just "meet the nicest people on a Harley." 
Anyway,  I would bet its not something RE has discounted alltogether.  A small V-twin (350 jugs), wouild certainly be an interesting powerplant.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:44:40 pm
Anyway,  I would bet its not something RE has discounted alltogether.  A small V-twin (350 jugs), wouild certainly be an interesting powerplant.

Agreed except the arangement should be ala Moto Guzzi. Keeps the bike from being to loooong.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:47 pm
I bet an EFI parallel twin in a revived Interceptor would sell well in the US and European markets.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:27 pm
To fast for me!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 01:39:54 pm
or how about a brough superior copy
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:07:53 pm
I bet an EFI parallel twin in a revived Interceptor would sell well in the US and European markets.

I wholeheartedly agree. I bought an RE because the non-unitized engine/gearbox is pure nostalgia, (for me), and I don't think this thing will fly in the US market unless its a resurrected twin. As it stands now, I think this motor is pure Japanese-ish boredom. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 meter cattle prod.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:13:55 am
I have always thought a parallel twin would be a real seller. With the same long stroke as the stock 350, a 700 would be a real torquer. That's pretty much what RE did when they developed the 736, and later the 750. It had a reputation of a long smooth power band that no other bike could duplicate. On the other hand, it would add complexity that I don't really want to fool with right now.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:28:44 pm
i still don't quite get the hate for the engine, well i do, but i still think it's silly. this new engine will pull in a bigger audience: people who want to ride these things on the freeway. i'm getting into motorcycling because i want to take road trips on it, and as nice as it is to take all the back roads and twisties, sometimes i just want to get to my destination. i'll take the long way when i have the time. if this thing gives me 80 miles to the gallon AND highway speeds, well, i'll have a hard time saying no.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 07:47:22 pm
Doomed1, I occassionally take my RE on the highway. I have an Electra with the AVL engine, performance kit and a 19-tooth front sprocket. This combination allows me to hit 60 before shifting to 5th. I can cruise at 70+, tuck in behind some more leisurely traffic and go all day (actually, I've only riddenfor about 70 miles at a stretch on interstate). Problem is, the bike is small, light, and does not have the stretched out frame geometry that makes that kind of riding enjoyable. Also, I noticed there are very few other bikers on the superslab, regardless of size/power. The RE is capable of short stretches of interstate when you need totake shortcuts to better secondary roads. Careful trip planning is the key.