Author Topic: 350cc UCE launched in India  (Read 14198 times)

rochitsen

• Scooter
  • At 13,500 feet on Rohtang Pass
on: May 20, 2008, 02:03:11 am
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share this with you guys. The 350cc UCE has been launched in India in certain dealerships.
The new engine has found room in the current model - THUNDERBIRD that is sold in India with a 350cc AVL Lean Burn motor.

http://www.cubiccapacity.com/royal-enfield-thunderbird-twin-spark-finally-in-showrooms/

The company will officially launch this in sometime i guess.

happy thumping,

Rochit

prof_stack

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 04:52:05 am
I'm surprised no one has replied to this as of yet. 

If the UCE motor is polished up it will make a much better impression on the US market.  I don't like the flat metal look to it in the photo.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:36:07 am
I don't like the sheet metal shifter;  looks cheesy and Honda-like.  I don't like the kick start lever;  too many bends, looks like some kind of an offset crow's  foot ratchet or wheelchair part or something.  But I like the engine, and I like the flat finish. 
The shape of the cylinder and head looks somewhat like the cylinders on a new design V-twin engine that came out last year;  S&S X-Wedge. 
(Now if they would tip that jug forward about 22.5 degrees, and stick another in back of it at 22,5 degrees, now that would be an engine)!!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:52 am
The Stomach Pump cometh..
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

abe

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:36:07 am
Well I am glad I have an old Iron Classic, I am sure that this is a great motor but it's too new for me.  The two spark plugs is cool, but it reminds me of many a Honda, not that there is anything wrong with that, I guess........ :-\

Would make a fine dirt bike!

just my 2 cents.

abe out....

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 10:44:05 pm
(Now if they would tip that jug forward about 22.5 degrees, and stick another in back of it at 22,5 degrees, now that would be an engine)!!
[/quote]

Geez, if they did that it'd look like a Hardly Ableson, and our favorite Thumper'd just be another in that over-cluttered potato-potato patch. :'(  IMHO the vertical single cylinder has CLASS.  But that's just my opinion. ;D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:54:32 am
They need to not smear chrome all over the place. 
I would design in a few more inches of wheelbase;  I think it would make for a more graceful frame, and make it a bit easier on us long legged fellows.
I would offer the option of a nacelle/no nacelle,  maybe an option of blacked out cases.
They're not gonna make a V-twin, but if they did, it certainly would be unique from a Harley.  Everybody made V-twins years ago,  I think even the hardcore Harley guys appreciate a break and diversion from the otherwise banal sea of Road Kings, and "soooofffttails." 
A lot of the aftermarket and garage built industry is all about getting as far away from "corporate" as we can.  Don'cha just "meet the nicest people on a Harley." 
Anyway,  I would bet its not something RE has discounted alltogether.  A small V-twin (350 jugs), wouild certainly be an interesting powerplant.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:44:40 pm
Anyway,  I would bet its not something RE has discounted alltogether.  A small V-twin (350 jugs), wouild certainly be an interesting powerplant.

Agreed except the arangement should be ala Moto Guzzi. Keeps the bike from being to loooong.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:47 pm
I bet an EFI parallel twin in a revived Interceptor would sell well in the US and European markets.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:27 pm
To fast for me!

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 01:39:54 pm
or how about a brough superior copy
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:07:53 pm
I bet an EFI parallel twin in a revived Interceptor would sell well in the US and European markets.

I wholeheartedly agree. I bought an RE because the non-unitized engine/gearbox is pure nostalgia, (for me), and I don't think this thing will fly in the US market unless its a resurrected twin. As it stands now, I think this motor is pure Japanese-ish boredom. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 meter cattle prod.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:13:55 am
I have always thought a parallel twin would be a real seller. With the same long stroke as the stock 350, a 700 would be a real torquer. That's pretty much what RE did when they developed the 736, and later the 750. It had a reputation of a long smooth power band that no other bike could duplicate. On the other hand, it would add complexity that I don't really want to fool with right now.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:28:44 pm
i still don't quite get the hate for the engine, well i do, but i still think it's silly. this new engine will pull in a bigger audience: people who want to ride these things on the freeway. i'm getting into motorcycling because i want to take road trips on it, and as nice as it is to take all the back roads and twisties, sometimes i just want to get to my destination. i'll take the long way when i have the time. if this thing gives me 80 miles to the gallon AND highway speeds, well, i'll have a hard time saying no.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 07:47:22 pm
Doomed1, I occassionally take my RE on the highway. I have an Electra with the AVL engine, performance kit and a 19-tooth front sprocket. This combination allows me to hit 60 before shifting to 5th. I can cruise at 70+, tuck in behind some more leisurely traffic and go all day (actually, I've only riddenfor about 70 miles at a stretch on interstate). Problem is, the bike is small, light, and does not have the stretched out frame geometry that makes that kind of riding enjoyable. Also, I noticed there are very few other bikers on the superslab, regardless of size/power. The RE is capable of short stretches of interstate when you need totake shortcuts to better secondary roads. Careful trip planning is the key.

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 01:38:08 am
while at school, i rode a bicycle regularly on the side of a county highway. provided, it's not interstate, but there were stoplights along the way, and i had to transfer into a traffic lane where semis and SUVs were going 60mph+ while the best i could do was somewhere around 15 without wind, and most of the time, the wind was heavy. and you know what? i found a sort of enjoyment out of those rides. i obviously don't represent everyone in my desire to tour in all environments and  situations, and if the new UCE engine can provide me with a capacity for interstate travel, the new UCE Bullet suddenly becomes my best friend. i'm a young scrappy college kid. i know i'm not the majority here, but because i'm young, there's no reason for me to ride these out of nostalgia, and i'm certainly not going to be riding a RE for looking tough, it's for aesthetic and utility, nothing more.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 02:47:07 pm
doomed1,
  Please understand that I mean no disrespect when I say that I think you would be happier with some other brand.  As Interstate worthy as it might be, I don't think a new model from RE would be a wise choice for a first bike.
  I would suggest you cut your teeth on something more proven like a Honda Rebel or Ninja 250R.  You would save yourself a wad of cash and still have a reliable, good performing bike.
  Just my 2 cents worth.
Good Luck,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:57:01 am
Doomed

I think the UCE would make a great first bike. With old style handling it'll teach you to
ride rather than having the ABS and all the trick bits lull you into a false sense of security just before they dump you on your ear. It'll probably have just enough
reliability issues to let you learn how to look after it without having to spend
all your spare time fettling it.It's relatively cheap and certainly economical.It's not
quite as fuddy-duddy as the AVL but still looks classic enough to be really cool
and it's technology isn't as cantankerous or as geriatric as the iron Bullet

My head tells me I should buy one of these.My heart tells me I want an iron Bullet
with a 610 kit. I'll probably buy an AVL but if I were a scrappy college kid I'd
lust after the UCE.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 05:05:08 am
someone mentioned a Brough Superior copy. Try typing that or "Brough Superior replica" into your favorite search engine. I did and I think I have another bike to lust after.
   Of course, there is no way I could afford it. Maybe if I built it myself! 

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 05:20:11 am
Try "Banquer Superior"

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:53 am
Doomed

I think the UCE would make a great first bike. With old style handling it'll teach you to
ride rather than having the ABS and all the trick bits lull you into a false sense of security just before they dump you on your ear. It'll probably have just enough
reliability issues to let you learn how to look after it without having to spend
all your spare time fettling it.It's relatively cheap and certainly economical.It's not
quite as fuddy-duddy as the AVL but still looks classic enough to be really cool
and it's technology isn't as cantankerous or as geriatric as the iron Bullet

My head tells me I should buy one of these.My heart tells me I want an iron Bullet
with a 610 kit. I'll probably buy an AVL but if I were a scrappy college kid I'd
lust after the UCE.
yeah, that's basically my line of thinking. something that handles well, gives me something to maintain, and get me around, not to mention giving me an old school aesthetic to enjoy alone with it.

and to mr. applegate, yeah, i've heard of those things, and if it was in any way practical, i would have called him long ago, but those things cost 35 grand to start. my whole love of vintage style bikes started with Brough Superior, but alas, they're the Rolls Royce of Motorcycles and are exceedingly rare, but the purr of that engine, it just sends shivers down my spine. it's a beautiful thing really.