Author Topic: Winterizing recommendations ?  (Read 15306 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 06:48:37 pm
ACF-50 is great. You can spray it on everything. It will remove existing light rust and corrosion. If you over spray it, it will just run off, but leave a protective coat that should last for several months to a year. It is good stuff, commonly used by aircraft owners whose poor old airplanes are usually left out in the weather. They are sprayed on the structure inside and out.
Don't even try to compare it to kerosene, Oops, I mean WD40. It's a good parts cleaner, but for long term protection, it may be good for a month at the most.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:21 pm
Too funny, Bare!  It's true though.  I actually use WD-40 in a tub for parts cleaning.  Gets light gunk off without flash rust like chem-dip, but that's about all it's well suited for.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 11:33:45 pm
Too funny, Bare!  It's true though.  I actually use WD-40 in a tub for parts cleaning.  Gets light gunk off without flash rust like chem-dip, but that's about all it's well suited for.

but then, you might not be noticing the thin layer of wax WD40 leaves that encapsulates whatever you wash with it.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 12:14:50 am
WD40 is not recommended for switches and contacts, it attracts and traps dirt and grime that eventually can interfere with electrical functions.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:16 am
WD40 is not recommended for switches and contacts, it attracts and traps dirt and grime that eventually can interfere with electrical functions.

I learned that the hard way.  Many years ago I used WD40 to clean some switches and it just made a grimy mess out of them and added way too much impedance.  Pretty much ruined the switches.  I was young and had no idea there existed such thing as a cleaning spray for electronics.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 12:45:21 pm
As for letting it rest with fresh oil, I did change the oil 281 miles ago (at 1486 miles), 2-½ weeks ago.  Is it "clean" enough for winter storage?

I'll rephrase this part of my question for clarity.  I understand that used oil can become acidic and "eat up" internal engine parts if left sitting over the winter, which is why an oil change just before storage is recommended.  I have 281 miles on my current oil, which I changed 3 weeks ago (Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w-50 synthetic).  Is this "used" enough that I should consider changing it again? I have 1486 miles total.

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:34 pm
I'll rephrase this part of my question for clarity.  I understand that used oil can become acidic and "eat up" internal engine parts if left sitting over the winter, which is why an oil change just before storage is recommended.  I have 281 miles on my current oil, which I changed 3 weeks ago (Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w-50 synthetic).  Is this "used" enough that I should consider changing it again? I have 1486 miles total.
I wouldn't worry about it. Oil only becomes acidic if there is water and fuel leakage into it, or from blow-by from the combustion chamber, combined with water. The acid attacks the bearing metal, but it is not so common on gasoline engines. Diesel engines experience this when using high sulphur fuels, but nothing to worry about on gasoline engines. There is also not going to be any amount of water in your oil, apart from maybe a minor amount from condensation.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:32 pm
On the other hand, a great winterizing recommendation is to move to Philippines, where it dips to a very cold 24C ;)!!
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 04:04:42 pm
@ MATT

your oil's PH should be fine (litmus paper can be used if you are that curious)

I like to change oil, drive around, then, change again to flush out as many of the small carbon particles as possible.  My personal belief is this will reduce the size and number of barnacles inside my motor.   ;)

I'll use the cheapest oil I can find for this, and, it probably just makes *me* feel better ~ but, that's why I do lots of things !!   ;D ;D ;D
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 09:00:07 pm
Ok you mugs...

The only place the salt treatment is showing itself is some rusty spots on the chain, which I plan on changing this winter anyway, and on the rivets on the cover of my "cheap" old-fashioned solo seat, which I just can't be bothered to worry about.

It's pushing 50 degrees today, so now's my chance: I topped up the fuel tank with Sta-Bil treated gas - brought the bike home, let it cool, and soapy-washed and rinsed it.  I dried it off by hand, shot it all over with an air compressor - which I think spread water around more than dried it, but what the heck - and dried it off by hand again.

But now about the ACF-50... I've got some; but do I really just cover everything with it?  No worries about it pooling in places and making a mess?  Shoot it into electrical connections?

Places I will try to avoid spraying: brake disc, tires, seat cover, rubber hand grips, rubber foot peg and foot control covers...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:59 pm
A little bump, just in case anyone has any advice for applying ACF-50 before I get spraying...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:44 pm
I just sprayed it on everything metal. Some of it dripped off on the floor, so it might leave you with a bit of a mop up. Come to think of it, mine is about due for another doucheing.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 07:52:23 pm
Bare, and all:

I did the same - what a mess!  I covered the floor against overspray, but it still made a mess of the spots on the bike I was trying to avoid.  We may call it fogging oil, but it doesn't come out of the pressurized can as a fog, or even a mist, but a rough chunky spray - and the straw makes it worse.  I got rather more than I wanted to on the tires, and on the brake disc, too, I'm sure, but what's done is done.  I let it sit for awhile, and wiped it down a little to catch the drips and puddles.  I'll worry about cleaning it off the traction bits next spring.  The bike gets a corner seat in my garage for the winter.

I've topped up my tank with Sta-Bil - spiked fuel.  The manual says to "drain the fuel completely from the fuel tank and fuel lines."  I'm hoping that I'll be ok.  I really hope to be up and running again before April...

:'(

This winter: replace fork oil, replace chain (and sprocket, I guess), possibly modify my solo seat for better looks and comfort.  I'll also be trying to organize a warranty replacement (it's 4 hours to the nearest dealer I would think of trusting) of my front fender and fork tubes, where they got all torn up due to misalignment of the fender when it was assembled.  Maybe I should have "them" do the fork oil while they're taking it all apart?  I don't know, I kind of look forward to doing that kind of job...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:13 pm
Any thoughts on what I should do, if anything, about taking the stress off the tires?  It's on the center stand, so obviously the rear is ok, but what about the front?  There's so little pressure in it, but I could block up the frame to get both tires off the ground...

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 09:01:12 pm
I wouldn't worry about putting it up on blocks unless you expect the ground it's on to be moist.  Just check the tire hasn't gone flat every so often. 

But it also wouldn't hurt put it up on blocks either.  Lift up the front end a bit and put something under the front of the frame and shim it up so that both tires are just barely off the ground.