Author Topic: Secondary Oil Drain Plug  (Read 8008 times)

ssg

• Bulleteer
on: September 10, 2012, 02:51:40 am
The mechanic did a mess.When he was tightening the Secondary Drain Plug,the nut's thread slipped.He eventually plugged it with a broken spark plug which sat there nicely.Now this modified nut has no magnet on it's head-will it be a matter of concern?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:53:46 am by ssg »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:34 am
I'd say it's worse having a spark plug in your crankcase than no magnet, you should rectify that.  They sell oversize drain plugs meant for holes that are wearing slightly with age.  That'd be my first try.  If tha doesn't work you can look into getting it tapped to a slightly larger size.  Daling that a HeilCoil or TimeSert may work, these are used to repair damaged threads.  Whatever route you take find another mechanic. 

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:15:33 am
I would demand that the mechanic fix it correctly and screwing a damn spark plug into the hole is not correct.

Even if it plugs the hole, the body of the spark plug (without the insulator) is hanging down so some rock can hit it and knock it out of the bottom of your engine.

Oh!  This fix would be on your mechanics nickle including the cost of the oil refill he will need to do.  You shouldn't have to pay a thing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ssg

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:44:07 am
He broke the spark plug and took the thread portion.He drilled the tip;i.e. the electrode portion to make it flat.He made a small hole in the middle and inserted the small magnet by pressure.
I am not sure how good this modified thing-some suggested me to make the thread afresh -but that needs to take the engine part to the thread repairing center,which is too costly.
Is it possible to repair it to original without engine removal?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:48:53 am by ssg »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:40:49 am
This "mechanic" is a bodger. Don't let him anywhere near your bike!
A stripped drain hole thread can be easily fixed with a helicoil. I did mine that way a couple of years ago and it's still good as new - better than new in fact, the drain plug was screwed in cross-threaded from new!
But really - don't let this plonker loose on your bike again  :o
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:03 am
I am making a guess here, ssg...you are in India, right?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:48 am
I feel the mechanic should fix it too BUT I wouldn't let him near my bike ever again, or anyone else at that shop.  +1 to everything Will said.

Scott

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:08:42 am
That's Bulls**t...what a crappy mechanic...I have NEVER understood why mechanics think they have to "armstrong" the drain plug in or, for that matter, a spin on filter...as far as this guys "repair" goes...I think it says it all about his abilities. I would call that a farmer repair, fit for only a temporary fix out in the middle of nowhere.. if he had spent that kind of time actually fixing the mistake instead of cobbling up an old spark plug to stick in there we all wouldn't be having this conversation!

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:15:04 pm
..............Whatever route you take find another mechanic. 

+ 10
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:57:25 pm
Sorry, but what's the secondary drain plug?  I know about the "regular" drain plug, and I know about the screen...

ssg

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:25:01 pm
Sorry, but what's the secondary drain plug?  I know about the "regular" drain plug, and I know about the screen...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:29:04 pm

The screen is considered "primary".
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ssg

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:30:15 pm
*Yes,I am from India.
**The mechanic who has done this is working in the authorized service center of Royal Enfield in my  locality.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 03:09:52 pm
Re-threading without removing engine is a problem in that metal chips can get inside.  There are two methods that have been used to reduce this danger.  The classical one is to coat the tap with heavy grease to make chips stay on tap.  Turn tap about one or two turns, remove, clean and re-grease.  Repeat.  The other method is to use a shop vacuum and go slow.  A little at a time with frequent cleaning.  Then add oil with the plug still out to flush the area.  GA-DK

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 03:55:05 pm
India doesn't have the monopoly on questionable "Authorized Royal Enfield" mechanics.  The one I just went to didn't have all of the correct size metric sockets at hand, so he occasionally checked SAE ones until he found one that was close enough, then used it, saying "let's see how tight this nut is."

He knew I was coming for an oil change, yet he didn't have any oil on hand.  Halfway through the job, he jumped in his car and went to get some - left me standing around waiting for an hour.  Came back with two quarts of oil... :o