Author Topic: British Made AVL Pushrod Adjusters  (Read 4093 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: September 09, 2012, 03:04:40 pm
       Has anyone out there installed NField Gear's Z91503 AVL Pushrod Adjusters?

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/catalogsearch/result/?q=z91503
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:35:21 pm
Yes, I've installed the Adjusters.  With the stock cams, I had to shorten the threaded part of the adjuster on the intake side just a little so the pushrod would fit in place.  The exhaust fit okay with no modification to the adjuster but I did remove the decompression stuff, you don't need to do this, I just did it to get rid of it.  You will need to replace the decompression collar with the one included with the new adjusters if you keep the decompressor, no big thing.  The adjusters work just fine and are much less likely to allow the pushrodes to jump off the cam followers.

Royal Enfield people are good people.

Cheers,
Bill

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:05:44 pm
Yes, I've installed the Adjusters.  With the stock cams, I had to shorten the threaded part of the adjuster on the intake side just a little so the pushrod would fit in place.  The exhaust fit okay with no modification to the adjuster but I did remove the decompression stuff, you don't need to do this, I just did it to get rid of it.  You will need to replace the decompression collar with the one included with the new adjusters if you keep the decompressor, no big thing.  The adjusters work just fine and are much less likely to allow the pushrods to jump off the cam followers.

Royal Enfield people are good people.
Cheers,
Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply. You've just verified what I discovered when I fiddled around for over two hours trying to install them on my '08 a month ago & that is that you can't install them (they are too long) without either pulling the rocker arm shaft & rocker arm, lowering the push rod with the new adjuster already installed onto the follower & then putting the rocker arm back down on top of push rod

OR

Machine some length off the threaded part of the adjuster. BeCAUSE the shoulder the follower slips up into is too deep & won't fit up over the edge of the follower. Or worded differently, the threaded part is too long.

I gave up after a while & just put the stock adjusters back in, adjusted them & carried on thinking I'd return to the subject in the Winter.  Now that I see that I'm not nuts I can carry on  ;D I think machining off 2 or 3 threads should do the trick.

I'm surprised your exhaust side fit OK. Maybe I can just grind a hair off mine. 

Thanks.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:26:45 pm

Machine some length off the threaded part of the adjuster. BeCAUSE the shoulder the follower slips up into is too deep & won't fit up over the edge of the follower. Or worded differently, the threaded part is too long.

I think machining off 2 or 3 threads should do the trick.

I'm surprised your exhaust side fit OK. Maybe I can just grind a hair off mine. 

Thanks.

Hey Bill,

I need your input again.

This has kept me awake all night & I've been up since 3:00.

I realized in a "Duh! moment" shortly after I posted the above that my thinking was totally flawed.

A month ago I remembered that I was able to fit the new adjuster on the intake by removing the locknut which allowed the overall length to shorten sufficiently.

Then it dawned on me yesterday that shortening the threaded section of the adjuster still won't shorten the overall length. The adjuster will still only screw in up to the all-the-way-screwed-down locknut which I found left it too long to fit over the follower. The only way I can see now to shorten the overall length of the combined pushrod/adjuster is to machine the locknut down to 1/2 its present thickness.

OR

Pull the rocker arm, put the pushrod/adjuster in, put the rocker arm back on top of the pushrod.

OR

Grind 20 or 30 thousandths off the follower end of the adjuster (I think that's all it would take to fit). I'd be shortening the recessed part of the adjuster that the follower fits up into, but I don't think that would matter.   

Help!!! ;D

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:50:51 pm
I guess no two Royal Enfields are identical.  Just do whatever it takes.  Machining the locknut down a little sounds like a good idea.  Just have fun and getter done.

Cheers,
Bill   

anadikaal

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:45:54 am
I did not have to machine anything.  it fitted just fine.  you need to take the rocker out to fit it, or screw it fully in and the then fit it with the pliers making sure that the top of the pushrod locks into the tip of the rocker arm.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:18:06 pm
I did not have to machine anything.  it fitted just fine.  you need to take the rocker out to fit it, or screw it fully in and the then fit it with the pliers making sure that the top of the pushrod locks into the tip of the rocker arm.

Well, lucky you.

To answer your first statement about removing the rocker arms: Yes. I mentioned that being a possible way to get them fitted in my original post. It didn't seem worth the trouble to me at that time (a month ago).

To answer your second statement: Yes, of course I screwed the adjuster all the way into the pushrod to make it as short as possible. How ELSE would you do it? And no, they would NOT fit over the follower. They're just "that much" too long & you can't make them shorter with pliers. And yes, the rocker was all the way up. I would guess about 0.030" has to come off the bottom edge of the adjusters (OR the locknuts). Shaving a bit off the thickness of the locknuts will allow the adjuster to screw in just that bit farther making the whole thing shorter. Then they'll slip in slicker than shit. Either method will work.

I'm glad the pliers worked out for your particular engine.

anadikaal

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:24 pm
this is very strange!  i changed those adjusters in 2 bikes without any problem.  if they are too long, so take Out the rocker arm, fit the pushrods and then install back the rocker on top.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:04 pm
I agree, anadikaal.
Why Micky Mouse up some parts to avoid doing this the right way?

If the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, both rocker arms are just sitting there without any load on them so removing the nuts that hold the arms in place should be easy.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

anadikaal

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 05:21:43 am
due to the different shape of the adjusters, the rockers may need to be taken out first. an easy job. certainly there is no need to make new threads, stuff like that.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:53 am
Why mess around at all? in this situation, I just lever the valve stem end of the rocker down a bit, raising the pushrod end of it and partially opening the valve at the same time and then you're ready to slip the pushrod under the rocker. As long as the pushrod still isn't too long when you let go, you're good to go in a few minutes tops.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:26:11 am by Bullet Whisperer »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 09:59:16 pm
Why mess around at all? in this situation, I just lever the valve stem end of the rocker down a bit, raising the pushrod end of it and partially opening the valve at the same time and then you're ready to slip the pushrod under the rocker. As long as the pushrod still isn't too long when you let go, you're good to go in a few minutes tops.
 B.W.

Now THAT is an excellent idea. Simple & elegant & the one that did not dawn on me a month ago. Thank you. Case closed.

In my particular case I only need maybe 0.020" or 0.030", possibly less, with the adjuster screwed all the way in. Still plenty of adjustment room on the threads after the socket is over the follower & the rocker is back down on top of the pushrod.

New rocker cover gaskets & a couple of clues ought to come with these adjusters.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 10:01:12 pm
due to the different shape of the adjusters, the rockers may need to be taken out first. an easy job. certainly there is no need to make new threads, stuff like that.

I never suggested making new threads.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:01 pm
tooseevee,
How did your project go?  Did you lever the rocker down?  If so what did you use to do this with?  Just thought some of the readers of this thread might like to know what your solution was and how you did it.  Me too.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:34:20 pm by Bill Harris »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:00 pm
tooseevee,
How did your project go?  Did you lever the rocker down?  If so what did you use to do this with?  Just thought some of the readers of this thread might like to know what your solution was and how you did it.  Me too.

Cheers,
Bill

I just left the whole thing stock the same day I attempted the change & won't reinstall them until over the Winter. I'll letcha know.