Author Topic: tail light mount suggestions?  (Read 2513 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
on: September 07, 2012, 09:19:07 pm
Hey guys,

I replaced the stock plastic hexahedron tail light and turn signals (because they looked too modern for such a classy looking bike), but the mount / plate holder looks really out of place now.  Anyone know a better option?  I'd fab something up myself but I don't have the skill nor the equipment.  I was thinking just a simple angled bracket mount would look decent.  Ideally it would have a place to mount the turn signals and plate.  I have the panniers and intend to put them back on.  So the lights will go on those, eventually.  I just took them off to make working on the bike easier.  Most important is getting the mount to match the style of the bike & tail light.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:47:50 pm
There are a lot of taillight options out there. You can start with NField gear. If you can't find something you like there, go search the web for Motorcycle Taillight Mounts, or just Motorcycle Taillights There will be a ton of them available. Ebay will have a bunch.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:42:13 pm
Bare's exactly right there's tons out there to make it look nice. Also very easy to make out of a strip of metal.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:18:09 am
You could look through the photo gallery for some direction.
If you do come up with some sort of separate mount for anything on these bikes,it should be pretty substantial as the vibration will crack it to bits.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:57 am
FYI, what you have is the truly classic Enfield plate holder.  With a Lucas or similar style light on top of it, you've got the true look of the bike from way back.

I agree that it's kinda stodgy, but that's history.  Look through Ebay and Dime City Cycles or any of the other home-bike-tinkerer shops and you'll see plenty of lights, plate brackets, and combos thereof.

I recently got a Lucas style with a nice simple bracket underneath off ebay for about $20.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:32:25 pm
Yup,  that big cheesy bracket is the same one thats on my 57'.   

I had one of those model A's but it was pretty high maintenance.  Cracked a few lenses from vibration and the solder joints in the bulb sockets started to go bad.  All from vibration after 3 or 4 thousand miles.

Bought a cheep round plastic trailer lamp to replace it.  Put it on a $2 bracket from Ace Hardware and all is good, what I think of as old school and indestructible.

I used the same $2 bracket with the lamp you have.  Just had to drill some holes in it to line up with the light sockets.     Deleted all my turn signals, use my arm.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:43:22 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:27:19 pm
Has anyone tried the hooded Lucas style taillight assembly from Dime City? If so howz the fit? any pics?
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:34:45 pm
Yup,  that big cheesy bracket is the same one thats on my 57'.   

I used the same $2 bracket with the lamp you have.  Just had to drill some holes in it to line up with the light sockets.     Deleted all my turn signals, use my arm.

I've had the Enfield quite a while now & I'm still not used to the fact that I have turn signals. I still continue to use my arm as I have since the '50s. And no, I'm not the least bit concerned about "letting go of" the left grip. I keep my arm out for a left turn completely through the turn whenever possible.

I think part of my resistance to turn signals is the fact that I see bikes quite often cruising along with a blinker going miles after they've already turned & it's plain they have no intention of turning.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:16 am
That's only 'cause they don't realize they are still on. That's 'cause the manufacturer's don't  care if you know they're on and give you cheesy indicator lights that might show up at midnight, if the moon's not lit.
And it sure isn't just RE, Triumphs use the same useless lights if not the same speedo. 4-LED bulbs will cure the problem of seeing them, but it doesn't cure the problem of not looking to see if they are working.
In the US we were taught to use the left arm out for left turns and the left hand pointed back over your head for right turns. You don't need to release the throttle that way.  Saw a guy in an old late '40s Caddie Convertible signalling that way today.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 05:48:41 pm
Thanks for the tips guys.  I don't have a ton of free time, and I'm already spending said time on repairs.  So I was hoping to just find something I could bolt into the same holes (maybe even something designed for a RE), but I guess it's just not that simple.

@AgentX: I know it's technically a "classic" light/plate holder, but it just looks wrong with the new lights.  The original lights had a cheap, modern, plastic look to them that I simply didn't like.  I also plan to replace the controls with simpler, less plastic-y ones, perhaps with the vintage control kit that nfield gear offers.  All that plastic just bothers me, haha.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 02:59:13 pm

@AgentX: I know it's technically a "classic" light/plate holder, but it just looks wrong with the new lights.  The original lights had a cheap, modern, plastic look to them that I simply didn't like.  I also plan to replace the controls with simpler, less plastic-y ones, perhaps with the vintage control kit that nfield gear offers.  All that plastic just bothers me, haha.

I agree completely, especially about the current lights looking cheesy and incongruous.  Good luck finding something.  Between Ebay, trailer/auto store lights, and the plethora of online custom shops (Dime City, Lick's, Lowbrow Customs, etc. etc.), you have an infinite number of choices.