Author Topic: Low mileage UCE bikes  (Read 5751 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 07, 2012, 08:00:02 pm
I frequent blasco's blog. www.royalenfields.com and have noticed that there are at least a handful of very low mileage UCE bikes listed for sale almost all the time. And, by low mileage I mean less than 1000 miles. I have not been motorcycling long enough but is this a norm. This is a very low production bike in the US and it surprises me to see these almost new bikes available almost all the time.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:08:29 pm
I think its a motorcycle thing in general.   My 2001 Harley I bought last November with only 10k on the clock.  Less than 1k a year, but the owner had added tassles.

I suspect most of those bikes were bought by people who don't use them as a commuter and only ride summer weekends when it will not rain.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:16:20 pm
There are low mileage bikes of all sorts out there, mostly bought by people who thought they would ride but didn't, then decided to get some of their money back rather than let it sit there in the garage. 

The lowest tend to be beginner bikes and I'd say the RE qualifies under that section.  There are plenty of Ninja 250s out there with less than 2k miles for sale.

Scott

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:20:38 pm
check craigslist after sturgis and you will see alot of bikes with less than 2k. there was a 2001 dayna low rider  for sale here with 3k on it.
my RE has 3k and i got it in june with 900 miles, my vstrom has 31k and i bought it july 2011 with 8k.
some people like to own motorcycles some like to ride them.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:59:13 pm
As for specifically REs, people buy them, then don't have the patience to break them in, or they shake too much, or just don't like the old Brit thumper feel, or the perceived lack of power, or other reasons mentioned above. The same goes for 250 Hondas. Personally I think one would be a great little bike, but people buying bikes have a different perception of what they then it will do and what the real world is. A lot of it as much to do with media hype, aka BS, as anything. When I was riding liter bikes the specs and media would have the 600s going as fast as the liter bikes and easier to handle. But in the real world, the guy with the 600 would have to flog the hell out of it to stay up with a liter bike. He might be able to stay with it, but he'd use a lot more gas doing it!
Kinda like the dude saying he could outrun an Enfield with his 250 Pigaggio scooter. Bring it on, bud!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:01 pm
Yes, the seat of the pants experience on the RE is a little crude and rough around the edges.  I think most of us like it that way but it could easily dissuade a person who bought one casually, wooed by the romance of the old timey look.

The same goes for every bike.  I run into plenty of riders with bigger, more comfortable, more capable motorcycles that they've had longer than I've had my RE.  Most are astonished that I have more miles on my odometer than they have on theirs.  A riding buddy once said it best, "Every good adventure has a little adversity."  If you can't take the adversity make sure you find a comfy seat in the sun outside Starbucks with the rest of your brethren ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:12:21 pm
With no adversity, it's not an adventure
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:21 pm
I've noticed this for years, with all brands. I've always attributed a large part of it to people having a mishap, scaring themselves, then getting the bike home and parking it. Hence so many low mileage bikes sitting in sheds, barns, and garages.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 12:05:37 am
That's the minority, and usually easy to tell.  In the ad, right next to "low miles" you'll find "scratches down left/right side, broken lever".

Most people just realize they don't want to ride though they thought they would.  Some cases of just "can't find the time" too.

Scott

uralrider

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:35:04 am
I've noticed this for years, with all brands. I've always attributed a large part of it to people having a mishap, scaring themselves, then getting the bike home and parking it. Hence so many low mileage bikes sitting in sheds, barns, and garages.

Agree, I've bought a couple bikes from people in those circumstances. I purchased one from an insurance agent I was dealing with who told me she had taken two rides on her bike for a total of 200 miles, scared herself, had a friend ride it home for her then it sat for ten years.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:59:28 am
Then there might be a few with a wife like mine.

If she had her way I never would own a motorcycle for the rest of my life.

If I have my way, I will own a motorcycle for the rest of my life.
When I'm too old to safely ride it, it will sit there for me to gaze at while I remember all of the good times we had.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:56:49 am

There are several low mileage RE's on the Dallas Craigslist if anyone is looking.

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:20:59 am
There hasn't been any on our local CL, how do they hold their value.......I suspect not well?

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:53:10 am
2011 C5 with tri-bar, visor, efi exhaust, airfly and 268 miles for $5700 if that gives you an idea.

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 05:08:35 am
Good if you're buying!! The sellers losing a couple grand or more if you consider all the dealer charges etc. for not much riding.

I just looked on our CL and there are no sellers only buyers. All the new bikes at the dealers are gone and no new ones for at least six months.