Author Topic: Machismo clones in U.S.  (Read 4208 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: May 18, 2008, 02:05:07 am
Any hope on CMW getting Machismo or lookalike in the future?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

LJRead

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 03:42:24 am
Question is whether the R E Classic Dulux, with chrome fenders and tank, come with the AVL - very,  very similar to the Machismo.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:36 pm
You could get very close with a black AVL Classic Deluxe.  The style of seats sell for something like $89 in the CME catalog.  Add a windshield and some saddlebags and you've got the basic look down. I think the Machismo does have a disc brake up front, but otherwise you'd be pretty close for not much money.

Eamon
Eamon

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:14:49 pm
It is highly unlikely that we will be getting the Machismo.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:04:40 am
I'd like to see the Woodsman offered here!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:07:02 pm
The Woodman is not a factory model. It is a series of parts that have been put together by the British importer. A lot of people seem to like it. The Brit version is very nice, but it is quite stylized. You can actually make one up yourselft that looks more authentic by going through our accessory catalog. We have a Woodman exhaust that is quite authentic as well as the rest of what you need to get there.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:49:02 pm
Question is whether the R E Classic Dulux, with chrome fenders and tank, come with the AVL - very,  very similar to the Machismo.

Sure does. I just got one, (and as soon as I can get a mini-B cable to download my digital camera, I'll post pics).  Very similar. Black, chrome tank, fenders, black tool boxes, ( added Dunstall silencer, solo springer and K&N filter&re-jet). Bike is stunning. I believe the only difference from the Machismo is the fact that the Deluxe has tank pads.

Adrian

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:46:34 am
The AVL Classic does seem to offer easier customizing possibilities, whether you want to turn it into a Machismo or a Woodsman.

Compared to an original '55 or 56 Woodsman, which I reckon were some of the best looking single cylinder motorcycles RE ever made, the UK importers' Electra-X based version is er... "interesting". Their insistance on keeping the Electra-X side panels and routing the clunky exhaust down the left hand side of the bike just doesn't work for me, and their kit adds too much to the cost of the basic bike.

If you really want a Woodsman clone, then as Kevin says, get the parts and do it yourself! In the words of a well-known kids' TV program on this side of the pond,  "Here's one I made earlier"...

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:44 am
that is beautiful! (your'e Woodsman) I have always thought the Machismo was kinda gaudy. Now you all have got to point out that with a little work my Black Deluxe would look like that? Oh MY GOD! Thank the Heavens for the Indian people and their love for RE but taste wise I am going to have to hope that you all agree with me to disagree. I hope one day we can all meet,if you know what I mean!

Adrian

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:51 pm
For comparison there's a 500 Machismo (wonderful model name) on eBay UK at the moment:

The styling is really quite restrained compared to the Thunderbird or Lightning Indian market models!

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 02:21:31 pm
Finally able to upload my picture. My AVL Deluxe. Very close in style.

[old attachment deleted by admin]

LJRead

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 09:02:24 pm
Mine is a 2002 Machismo and looks much like the Machismo above except for red color and with the rubber knee pads.  Mine even has a chrome-look stainless steel pannier! At first I was startled by the amount of chrome, but have gotten used to it now and it has become "my bike" and with any "warts' it might have come with, just fine with me.  It does stand out - nothing subtle about it.  I think of it as "beautiful woman" and she (even with the "Machismo") is that  Struts her stuff, for sure!

LJRead

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 09:17:42 pm
Not much difference, is there between the two bikes immediately above, both beauties.  Machismo of course simply means very strong or very brave in Spanish (Macht, might, in German).  Just the connotation 'Macho" in the U.S. has caused the problem.  Associated with offensive behavior amongst, mainly,  Mexican gangs.