Author Topic: Hopefully something I've never noticed before...  (Read 4807 times)

ADB

• Scooter
on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:02 am
But I'm fearful this is a problem.
So, i finally got my pillon seat in, and took it home and threw it on. I'd been waiting 2 months and probably should have looked it over much closer before i threw my wife on the back and went for a 40 mile drive.
Anyway, after a few days, i took a closer look at the seat, and realized it was not centered by about a centimeter to the left, and after taking it off, I realized the top bolt on my left shock is about a centimeter away from the fender, but the right side is almost touching the fender, (see pictures below...and note the scratch on my fender from where the non-centered seat frame was just touching the fender).
So, I'm hoping this is something I've just never noticed before, but I'm guessing that's not the case.
The bike is 2 months old, 2000 miles, and it appears to ride completely normal, and at 65 mph, it's still solid. Although, if I'm going above 50mph, and take my hands off the bars, it pulls a little to the right, but even w/ just one hand on the handlebars, it's not noticeable.
As always, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:08:36 am
I may be wrong because my G5 doesn't have that rear sub frame but I was looking at a C5 the other day and as I recall that rear framework is just bolted to the main frame.

If I'm right, I can say that it doesn't take much bolt/hole clearance to allow a bolted on part to move around quite a bit as it's being tightened.

Because that sub frame isn't a part of the actual suspension, some misalignment wouldn't be noticed in the way the bike rides.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:34:36 am
These bikes are hand made.  Part of that is that things aren't always perfectly symmetric.  I'd say to inspect and make sure all bolts are tight and things look like they are put together correctly.  If they are, go back to not noticing and enjoy the ride. 

Scott

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:59:21 am
+1 to what Scott said

Mine is not exactly centered either

;)
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:03:19 am
Yeah my rear fender was way out of alignment with the back tire, so I took it off and threw it in the garage, lol. Seriously though, the handmade bit is correct, probably no two alike.
'11 C5 Military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 04:15:11 am
.................if I'm going above 50mph, and take my hands off the bars, it pulls a little to the right ....................  As always, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

There are Old Bikers & there are Bold Bikers..............

Stay safe out there !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 04:31:30 am
thanks for the info guys, and glad to hear that it's more likely the fender/shock assembly and not a bent frame or swingarm. At some point this winter then i'll make it a point to take the fender and shocks off to see if i can straighten things out a bit.
Gremlin, point well taken; when i wrote "take my hands off the bars" i didn't mean literally going no handed, but more like loosening up my grip for a second to check if it was pulling...but again, point well taken. This is my first bike, and want it to be a long and safe journey.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 05:11:45 am
I'd have to look at mine again, but I think you can pull the rear fender assembly (fender, fender supports, taillight, ect) all off together by removing 4 bolts and unplugging the one wiring harness attachment. It's pretty simple to remove and align, or try to align I should say.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:31 am
Yup, you can.  It's worth unbolting the two bolts on one side to see if the fender springs way out of alignment.  If it does then that's going to create internal frame stress and that can make it handle weird.  If it doesn't I really suggest you learn to live with it.  Trying to get it straight will only result in chipped paint and frustration ;)

Scott

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 06:58:37 am
If you're riding on the right side of the road and lightening your grip results in the bike drifting to the right, its probably the crown of the road and not an alignment issue with the bike.  Hand made, hand assembled bikes from India; sometimes the fit and finish are not as precise as your accustomed.  It's slight, but I'm pretty sure my tank in fatter on one side than the other.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 07:14:21 am
All the EFI bikes have a lopsided tank, it was the only way they could fit the fuel pump in.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jI5R6iRTE-7I8Et2b7M0X9iAMQWCRW3q_DoqzQHa_3k?feat=directlink

I suspect this is why the front of the seat is so wide, to camouflage it a bit.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:42 pm
If it's drifting off one way or another, it's more likely caused by rear wheel misalignment than anything. To get that perfect is a challenge and then finding a truly flat road to prove it on it tougher. But, check your rear wheel alignment anyway.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:03:34 pm
+1 on wheel misalignment, back or front  :-\

I discovered the front wheel on my bike was 0.030" off centre which on a straight road required an almost imperceptible amount of constant counter-steer to make the bike run true. I only realised this because only one of my damaged shoulders would start to hurt after just a few hours riding.
Checking the wheel rim to fork leg clearance on both sides with a pair of calipers proved my thoughts to be totally correct.
Simply fitting a small shim next to the fork leg and then realigning the rear wheel to the newly positioned front [the joys of threaded wheel adjusters] allowed the bike to run absolutely true with no further (subconscious) input required from me.

Since this very minor adjustment all day riding and perfect high speed manners without shoulder pain is now the norm.  :)   

Really flat roads are quite hard to find, I've only found two within 15miles from home and I've only managed to identify these by standing surface water after a good downpour.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:22:01 pm
The flat half of the road is in the middle.  Just tell those pesky cars to go home.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 08:42:49 am
Tanks until very very recently are all handmade and can be different in any dimension
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com