Author Topic: Power commander issues  (Read 2861 times)

wokka

• Bulleteer
on: September 02, 2012, 04:42:40 pm
Well, I've been going back and forth for a while with Hitchcocks about a faulty power commander, and it turns out it's not actually a "fault" it's a problem that they have been having for a while.

I sent Hitchcocks a video of the bike on the dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gLI0y-5j0
and as you can see, from 4800rpm, the revs spike randomly over 11,000rpm

Now, despite a few emails back and forth, and even phonecalls with my dyno operator, they still dont consider this a fault.

This is what I recieved from Hitchcocks
  This is not a problem although we are aware of it and new software should be ready soon – it’s the rev limiter affecting the programme. It does not affect the working rev – range .

Now, I can only speak for myself, but if I sold something that randomly went crazy operating at 80% I would be out of business pretty quickly.
The PCV is hardly a cheap piece of kit, and as far as I'm concerned is a great waste of money until they sort these bugs out.

Buy at your own risk

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:16:18 pm
Sorry to hear about the troubles.

This is the kind of crap that drive tuners crazy.
I don't mind technology, but at least it should not stand as an impediment in my way when I want to do something. My "rev limiter" is my throttle hand. I don't need some electronic nanny-gizmo to tazer me if I color outside the lines in my coloring book.
Perhaps if they eliminated the electronic rev-limiter, and provided a tachometer so that owners would know how high they are revving, it might actually be a step in the right direction.

It brings great appreciation for points and carburetors.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:21:16 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:07:34 pm
We considered carrying the power commander and decided not to for this very reason. Hooking it up is easy but developing a map for it is hit and miss at best. We decided that customers would have too much trouble, for not much real result and we did not want to support it.

I have never understood either a rev limiter or a tach in a single engine motorcycle. It tells you everything you need to know all by itself. You need either one of these like you need a second cylinder.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:06:27 pm
Well, that gives me some food for thought. I ordered the Power Commander 2 weeks ago from Hitchcock's!! I'll have to see if I experience the same problems. I don't think I have access to a dyno yet though.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:17:24 pm
you'll feel it on the road,

just do yourself a favor and see if it will happen just once in third on a STRAIGHT section of road, you can see by the video you don't want to be leaned over in a corner when it cuts out like that.
It's pretty damn violent on the dyno, inertia should smooth it out on the road, but honestly, my PCV is nothing more than a damn expensive paperweight until the new "software" comes in

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:21:49 pm
you'll feel it on the road,

just do yourself a favor and see if it will happen just once in third on a STRAIGHT section of road, you can see by the video you don't want to be leaned over in a corner when it cuts out like that.
It's pretty damn violent on the dyno, inertia should smooth it out on the road, but honestly, my PCV is nothing more than a damn expensive paperweight until the new "software" comes in
Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind. Actually, I'll check with Hitchcock's to see if the unit they shipped has the"upgraded"software...
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:54:30 pm
Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind. Actually, I'll check with Hitchcock's to see if the unit they shipped has the"upgraded"software...
The email I got is only a few days old, so I doubt it