Author Topic: Tri bar headlight replacement  (Read 6068 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 10:29:19 pm
Hey, Jim, Now you have a gap on the bottom. I had a gap on top and didn't like the way it looked, so took to the trimming and sander to get rid of the gap.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 10:52:39 pm
Well, if your speaking of the area just ahead of the shoulder where the body necks down to fit inside the chrome rim, yes, this area is exposed.
Because it is on the bottom it really isn't noticeable unless someone bends down and studies the area.  >:(
If they do this, they are in the perfect position to get my boot up their rear.  ;D

Seriously,  the small area of undersized black housing doesn't look bad at all. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 12:03:29 am
I found I can't adjust Fiona's 5-3/4" headlamp low enough to keep oncoming traffic from being blinded. I'm not looking forward to trying to fit the 7" kit, when I get home again...  Gonna have to use the belt-sander trick to taper the mount either way, I guess. Thanks, Bare.

Mine came pretty much the same way.  I found that I had to remove the spring behind the adjusting screw (for up/down adjustment) in order to get it to point low enough.  Left to right was ok.  I have since changed to the 7" tribar and alignment was spot on, no adjustment needed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:44:53 pm by bluesdaddy2 »
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 05:05:42 pm
Interestingly mine came from the dealer with a 7" Minda which had reasonable light and a nice little "parking light" below the H4 bulb.  I replaced that with an Adjure Tribar and surprisingly had a nice and straight beam at the correct alignment.......no adjustments needed.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 06:38:01 pm
The 5 3/4 light on mine ( as delivered ) was adjusted all the way down & to the right, however, it was actually pointing slightly high & to the left.
After installing the 7 inch glass the adjustment seems to be just fine now!

Well yeah, I'm going to wait 'til I get the seven-incher installed and see where it's point-of-aim is before doing any tweaking, of course... Whenever that may be.

My 5-3/4" light points just fine L-to-R, but it definitely wants to drop; on dipped-beam, the hot spot from the reflector is waaaay out, about 50 yards in front of the bike, high enough that the main beam is pretty much useless except for spotting 'possums in the trees by the side of the road.

I wonder if having the larger 19" front wheel has anything to do with it? Prolly not...

ObNothing: If this works, and I don't like the pattern the 7" lamp from Nfield throws, Cibea makes a 7" reflector assembly (takes an H4 lamp) that has a simply lovely projector pattern, lights up the sides of the road nicely for nocturnal Bambi-spotting (Bambi is a sore spot with me, obviously) in addition to a ginormous amount of light on the pavement...  I had one of those on my first GoldWing with the Vetter fairing, from Daniel Stern Lighting... I may have to see if it's still in production.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:42:30 pm by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 07:13:04 pm
Cibea makes a 7" reflector assembly (takes an H4 lamp) that has a simply lovely projector pattern....Daniel Stern Lighting... I may have to see if it's still in production.

And it is!

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

The only 7" round lamp he has listed. I will vouch for the fact it works very, very well. At least, on North American roadways, where we drive on the right-hand side. No doubt Cibea makes a LHD version (and if they don't they're stupid, and we know Cibea isn't stupid).
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)