Author Topic: ampmeter  (Read 1979 times)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
on: August 27, 2012, 03:30:19 pm
Howdy, all...

Since my C5 fuel gauge hasn't worked correctly in a year... I'd like to replace the fuel/ecu unit with an ampmeter and install a separate light for the ecu.

Any practical benefit to the ampmeter? Any concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Mike and Sherman and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:02:10 pm
Any practical benefit to the ampmeter? Any concerns I should be aware of?

Not much of any practical benefit. The "modern" electrics are pretty reliable on all bikes any more. Have you seen an ammeter on anything since about 1967?
The concern would be that you have lost some valuable info that is available on the ecu side of things. You can add a extra light for the fuel indicator. Just run a hot wire to the fuel indicator float and the other to a light and and ground the light. Be a far more effective use of your time.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:14:15 pm
Well... I DON'T want to lose the ECU light... but that stupid looking gauge annoys me. Even if it doesn't provide practical info, I think I'll throw the ampmeter in with a separate light for the ECU. I could care less about the "low fuel" light.

Thanks,
'07 Classic - Stumpy

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:46:38 pm
Having an ammeter or volt meter is nice, either gives you a pulse on your charging system.  A voltmeter is a little easier to install.  There are also the single LED/multi-color units that can give the same info.  The color (red, green, amber) of the LED lets you know if you're charging, undercharging, or overcharging.  You could also look for a small tach to fit in there.

Why isn't your fuel light working?  Is it just the float?  Easy enough to get another one and replace it, takes just a few minutes once you drain the tank.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:21:59 pm
I don't know if I'd put an ammeter in that hole .....  I'd be more inclined to put an EGT gauge there.

As for substitute lamps, don't forget there are colored lenses available for those two antler buds on the nacelle.  one blue, the other amber, red, or green .....   or, go with the white translucent lense and colored bulbs / LEDs.

...... another product of a simple mind .....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:45:37 pm
Why isn't your fuel light working?  Is it just the float?  Easy enough to get another one and replace it, takes just a few minutes once you drain the tank.

Mine doesn't work. It's not the bulb or the float. I haven't chased down the culprit yet, but I may just follow my own advice and run a hot wire to the float and then the light, or vice versa, whichever is easier.
I don't really care if it comes on while I'm starting it. Come to think of it, I guess I really don't care if it never comes on. Well, maybe a little bit.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:27:23 pm
As most of you know, my fuel warning light hasn't worked for over 6 months and I can't say I miss it.

When it did work it would flicker on and off as the fuel sloshed around in the tank which was kind of an annoying nuisance.

As long as my odometer and my black felt tip pen hold out I won't have any problem figuring out when to add some fuel to the tank. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:33:03 pm
I really like EFI on modern bikes but I do miss the simplicity of a tripometer and a reserve position on the petcock.

Scott

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:56:13 pm
The loss of the fuel light is... no great loss!  Damn thing bugged me when it would flash when braking.  The math isn't that hard!  I have all leds on my Classic - all the indicators on my C5 seem brighter.  I haven't had a problem seeing them in the sun.

IMHO a tach is a little oxymoronic for theses bikes!  I also found out that my Classic didn't have a "reserve" till I fixed the petcock!

A tripmeter would be nice, though.

'07 Classic - Stumpy

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:26 pm

..............A tripmeter would be nice, though............

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:55 pm
A tripmeter would be nice, best addition they could make to the gauges.  A tach is completely unnecessary but it looks so cool :)