Author Topic: Temporary riding surface?  (Read 2569 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:04 pm
I'm thinking of putting up a new shed for winter storage & mending of the bikes, but it will mean a run of around 25 metres over grass. My tyres are lethal on grass, and I'm wondering what I can put down as a temporary surface to get them back and forth. It'll only be for occasional use, as the bikes live in the garage on the lane in summer. I've been looking at things like TrakMat etc, as used for outdoor events, but it's expensive & heavy.
I was wondering about some old carpet put upside down. Seems like it ought to do the job.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Will
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:31 pm
Just push the bike across the grass?  It's only 25 meters and without a rider on it, it only weighs about 187 kg.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:26 pm
Yes I thought of it, but this will be very wet & slippy grass when the time comes (has been most of this year). I don't feel entirely confident of making it all the way without incident, particularly with the 650 which is heavier.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:33:05 pm
trainer wheels ?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:51 pm
Now c'mon, stop arsing about. I'm starting to be sorry I asked.... ::)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:40 am
If your using it on wet grass your carpet will end up weighing a few tons when it's time to roll it up.
Then, it will develop a nice mold on it that can rot it into a large useless lump.

If they are available in your area you might consider using some concrete pavers, rectangular slabs of concrete, to make a walkway.
They wouldn't have to be edge to edge but could have perhaps a 150-250mm gap between them with the grass growing up between them?

It would be a PITA to install but once done it could add some value to the property.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:09:35 am
Does anyone use crushed shells there Will? I don't remember seeing them. They are cheap, provide traction and easy to put down. Tony
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:50:05 am
if money is no object ... steel mesh ... the stuff they use as flooring for elevated walkways and steps in factories

old sections of steel fencing might work ... the sort they put around swimming pools ... maybe you can pick some up cheap at a recyclinging yard

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:12 am
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.
Money is an issue, and I really don't want to put anything permanent down. This is more a corner of fenced off field than tended lawn, and we've just had the wettest "summer" on record, with not much sign of improvement, so things are a mite squidgy.
I know carpet will just go soggy, but it can be stashed in the already wet garage until dryer weather when it could be dried a bit outdoors. Far from ideal I know, but I just know there's something I haven't thought of yet....  like some sort of heavy duty coconut type matting maybe.
I have couple of bins of spare shredded car tyre material which I laid a footpath with last year. Great stuff, but I had to put chicken wire on top when the cat realised what a great place to take a crap each day!
But again, I don't want a permanent track - it'll only be used a couple of times a year hopefully.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:05 am
Update.
I've found some roll-out path, 10ft long & 1ft wide. The stuff you put down to protect your lawn against wheelbarrows & muddy boots etc. It's plastic (polypropolene) slats, so no drying/storage problems. Just wondering whether the tyres would slip on it much...? I've got AM26s on the bike, great on pavement but lethal on grass/mud/gravel etc.
Thoughts...? :-\

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:05:49 am
I've got AM26s on the bike, great on pavement but lethal on grass/mud/gravel etc.

I did a race on dirt with AM26s.  You'll be fine.

Just don't let the sudden delivery of massive horsepower from your Enfield break the rear tire loose...

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:51:57 am
 ;D ;D  Now I know you're takin the piss...

I think I'll give that roll-out path stuff a try. It's cheap enough to take a chance on, and no doubt will be useful somewhere else if not ...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 03:00:19 pm
What piss?

(Please ignore the lack of dirt-track backin' it in...it wasn't a smooth track and my fork was deflecting off a big lump here.  I swear...)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 05:03:23 pm
Nice pic. Like it   8)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 07:34:03 pm
The slatting will work much better for much longer than carpeting; I'd wager the carpeting wouldn't last a year before rotting away.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:10:23 pm
I know, but whatever I use isn't going to be left out - it's just to get the bike up to the shed from the gate, then it'll be put away. But the rolled up slats are looking like the best option so far.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 05:39:56 pm
I did a race on dirt with AM26s.  You'll be fine.
Do tell more!  Can you spare the time for a write-up in the rides section? :D