Author Topic: Cracked Frame !  (Read 16217 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:44 pm
 I just finished working on my bike, to my suprise I found the bottom rear motor mount weld on the right side is cracking at the chase where the bolt goes through the frame. I can open and close the crack by just pushing up and down on the foot peg. Crap ! i want to ride it but the dealer isn't open until Tuesday morning. I would think it could be welded back up at the shop. CHECK YOUR WELD'S GUY'S !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:40:58 pm
Sorry to hear about your hard luck, but thanks for the warning. It´s probably smart to have a look over the frame whenever you look over all nuts & bolts to be tight.
Considering the welding of the crack: to fry things together is no problem, but before that you´d have to remove the coating. If you don´t you have to scratch away the burned rests afterwards. A partial repair of plastic coating is not possible, you have to fresh up by using paint, wich actually is botch.
If the bike is still under warranty I´d say that the dealer should do it right and renew the plastic coating completely, or replace the frame with a new one.
Of course that probably will take some time. But patching coating with paint...dunno.
Anyway, good luck. Hope you´ll find some helpfull folks at your garage. Best regards
Maturin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:12:51 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:57:16 pm
Considering the lack of full penetration on some of the welds I've seen on my bike, I'm not at all surprised at the cracks you have experienced. At least the frame welding on my bike is good, it's just the fender supports at the rear that look a bit suspicious!! Good luck with the repairs or replacement, which ever route you take.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:46:29 pm
 Thanks Guys ! I'll see how it goes Tuesday when the dealer opens.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:41:26 am
Hop you get that resolved at the dealer Jack. Could you please post some pictures if possible? That would be much appreciated.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:01:27 am
If you are covered under warranty go for replacement !

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:52 pm
Hop you get that resolved at the dealer Jack. Could you please post some pictures if possible? That would be much appreciated.
I can understand your curiosity Bulletman, it's 100 plus degrees in my garage right now and besides, it's kind of hard to photograph a black frame with a black crack ! I'll pass.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:07:47 pm
I can understand your curiosity Bulletman, it's 100 plus degrees in my garage right now and besides, it's kind of hard to photograph a black frame with a black crack ! I'll pass.
I completely understand, no worries.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:44:16 pm
......... it's kind of hard to photograph a black frame with a black crack.........

White Crayon.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:52:22 pm
Hot there, too, huh? It was 96 here, but I did tackle the nonfunctioning lights. The fuse/fuse holder failed. I couldn't get the fuse out and broke it trying. The link was still good, but the end was disconnected. I don't know whether it happened while I was trying to get it out, or previously, Anyway, the smoke wasn't getting through. Had to go to Radio Shack to get a new one. Think putting a 15A fuse in a 10A holder could have anything to do with it? I put a 10 amp in this time.
Bare   
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:57:25 pm
 Live and learn I guess ! Glad you fixed it Bare. Cant wait for our next ride !

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:38:16 pm
Here is a picture of the frame fracture for the inquisitive . I took my bike into my dealer this morning. He took some pictures of it to send to Royal Enfield and that's about where I stand for now. If they tell him to weld it, Art the owner is going to send it out to be welded after he preps it. On the brighter side, he gave me a 2012 bare bones Triumph Bonneville demo bike to use with 215 miles on it in the mean time. Cant beat that ! Thank you Doug Douglas Motorcycles !

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 07:53:19 pm
Holy s***! I thought the weldseam itself was cracked through, but its the frame tube! How can that happen? Certainly its not by accident that it is broken directly beneath the weldseam. Was the welding done with too much temperature or is it simply sagged at a weak point? Anyone knowing a thing or two about welding?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 07:54:25 pm
On the brighter side, he gave me a 2012 bare bones Triumph Bonneville demo bike to use with 215 miles on it in the mean time. Cant beat that ! Thank you Doug Douglas Motorcycles !

Jack,

Glad the dealer is working with you to fix your bike.     :) :)

Sorry about you having to ride the Bonnie but I would like to hear what you think about the Triumph.  Is it a T100 or the other one with the mag wheels?

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 07:58:27 pm
Jack,

Glad the dealer is working with you to fix your bike.     :) :)

Sorry about you having to ride the Bonnie but I would like to hear what you think about the Triumph.  Is it a T100 or the other one with the mag wheels?

Terry
It's the one with the mags. The BASIC model I would guess. 865 cc's and goes like hell after riding the G5 !

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:27 pm
Was the welding done with too much temperature or is it simply sagged at a weak point? Anyone knowing a thing or two about welding?

Sounds like the welding temperature was hot enough to begin the hardening process, and if the weldor at the factory quenched the hot frame with water, it could cause the steel tubing to become very hard and brittle. There is a critical temperature that, if exceeded, one would be better off letting the steel air-cool, or oil-quench, rather than water-quench.
The cure would be to temper or anneal the welded frame; heating it up to just below this critical temperature, and let it air-cool, to releave internal stresses in the frame tubes, and to change the crystalline structure of the steel to one that is not as brittle.

Not fun.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 08:55:56 pm
The break looks like something that can be rewelded without a problem but IMO the repair weld should be a full penetration weld with some build up on the outer surface.
Preferably it should be done with a TIG or MIG torch rather than an old fashioned arc welder.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:11 pm
Preferably it should be done with a TIG or MIG torch rather than an old fashioned arc welder.

+1

I'd MIG weld it; I don't think the crack merits the extra costs and set-up hassles of TIG welding, and MIG will give more than adequate penetration. It will require some fancy dancing with a small grinding wheel or Dremel bit to properly prep it, in any case...

Definitely beyond the ken of a stick welder.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:23 pm
+1
I agree, MIG is the way to go.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 09:16:01 pm
WOW! That frame ain't cracked, it's broken!
Didn't realize it was that bad!
I thought it was just cracked part way around. I guess we weren't going for a ride this week!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 09:40:21 pm
We can still ride Bare, I have the Triumph demo loaner. Took it up to Wrightwood  this morning, did the ton on it , 110 actually, I sure miss my Enfield though.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 10:14:06 pm
We can still ride Bare, I have the Triumph demo loaner. Took it up to Wrightwood  this morning, did the ton on it , 110 actually, I sure miss my Enfield though.

Yeah, and you'd be trying to make me go that fast! Oh, those Triumph speedos run 10% fast!
I know who not to ride with!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:43 pm
Thats why I took it to 110 !

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 09:00:09 pm
I just dropped in on the dealer to check on the status of my bike and found it on a bike trailer ready to go to the welder. Art did a great job prepping it, told me he is having it TIG welded and it should be ready to be ridden home tomorrow. Cant wait to have her back !

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 10:08:13 pm
TIG welding is more controlable than MIG and is more likley to be done by somebody who knows what he is doing,,anyone can MIG weld it does not take much skill,but to argon weld takes a bit of thought,
Retired Welder John...
John Electra Deluxe Efi

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:42 pm
You can easily recalibrate the digital speedo on the later Bonneville's to run very accurately should you wish to do so,
simply by using the same computer Freeware that you use to reprogram the ECU for a few extra ponies :)

How do you find the handling compares to your own bike?

ric.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:35:55 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:23 am
At first I didn't care for the Bonneville. It just felt too strange because of all the miles Ive ridden Enfield. Of course the motor impressed me but the seat was like sitting on an ironing board and the pegs seemed too high and set back. Today I took it on an 80 mile round trip to see my ailing 89 year old Dad and the bike felt a bit more likable. The gas mileage sucks, maybe 40 to 45 miles per gallon but understandable because of the horsepower. I just started to get use to it when the dealer called and told me my Enfield is all welded up and put back together so I had to give it back. The Triumph was OK, it just didn't have the character and soul that the Enfield does. It's great to have it back !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:59 am
"...The Triumph was OK, it just didn't have the character and soul that the Enfield does...."

That and the "ironing board" seat are a perfect summation of my thoughts after riding a new Bonny.

Buying one isn't a problem for me but they are definitely lacking a personality.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 02:03:26 am
Jim, + 1 ! and GO DODGER'S
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:08:21 am by Jack Leis »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:08 am
Glad your RE is back together.

To be fair to all other bikes, how can you compete with the character of an RE?  It's like trying to taste how sweet fresh corn is after you just ate a bunch of honey.  The corn is plenty sweet, just nowhere near as sweet as the honey.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 03:21:36 am
I don't much care for honey. I get localized reactions to bee stings so I'm mad at bees. So, I'm anti honey. I do like corn tho.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 03:24:15 am
I hear ya Scotty. Character, soul, charisma are words only an Enfield enthusiast would understand when you rev it up and hear that big thump and dive into a turn. Almost like poetry. These bikes are great ! I dont need alot of horsepower. Just get her up to speed , hang on and use the body english. I would'nt have it any other way.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 12:04:25 pm
Must be good to have your favourite bike back  - I've known that Enfield Reunited feeling myself after waiting quite a few weeks for Watsonian Squire to sort out as ElectraX big end failure.

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 07:52:54 pm
Now for some decent weather to ride in! Next week fo' sho'
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 08:23:35 pm
Now for some decent weather to ride in! Next week fo' sho'
Bare
    + 1 !!!

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 11:03:45 pm
Glad your RE is back together.

To be fair to all other bikes, how can you compete with the character of an RE?  It's like trying to taste how sweet fresh corn is after you just ate a bunch of honey.  The corn is plenty sweet, just nowhere near as sweet as the honey.

Scott
Hear Hear......
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011