Author Topic: My Bullet ran perfectly until...  (Read 2374 times)

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
on: August 25, 2012, 06:07:59 pm
I was on my way to meet my future employer, 4700 mi on 2009 AVL,  4 miles out, 95 dgrees f, I happened to think, these mirrors aren't as clear as they used to be....45 mph, she just quit, thought maybe no fuel.  Lights and starter work.  checked plug for spark ... none. As I loaded her into the trailer, a kind passerby said,  "pretty bike".
    So before I take her to the dealer...,  its still on warrenty.. a friend at work thought it might be  the cdi.  I'm somewhat electrically illiterate,  still got points on
 my Goldwing.  That one doesn't run either.
                                                 Matt in Phoenix

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:15:44 pm by mattjohnson207 »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:50:57 pm
Well, on June 6th you said you got the new "green box" so that probably isn't the problem.
You should check the connectors to make sure they are still plugged in fully.  Also, the connections at the ignition coil.

Occasionally a spark plug will suffer an internal break so that's worth replacing too.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:56:19 pm
Thanks Jim,  now if I can just get away from work for a little while...

matthewjohnson480@gmail.c

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:05:17 pm
Problem solved just in time for  the fall riding season. Asked one of my co-workers at ---Mart, an MMI student..(motorcycle mechanics institute)  here in Phoenix,  after i had the coil checked at
Screwy Lewey's, for $15, well spent;  that the only possibilities were starter relay or the crank position sensor.  I knew where the CPS was so I opened up the primary case, Voila! the green wire to the cps was buzz sawed by the primary chain. I knew this was a bad location/ design when I first saw it.
        I'll solder it tomarrow.   
        Anyone have any design ideas for routing those most important wires away from the primary chain?
        This is a great site!   thanks, Matt
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:35:57 pm by matthewjohnson480@gmail.c »

randombikerdude

• USA Rider
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:02 pm
What is the new green box?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:26 pm
As I understand it, the AVL's originally came with a black box that controlled the ignition timing.  I think it is under the seat and plugs into the wiring harness.

This black box had some programming bugs in it that could cause engine starting and running problems. 
The errors were identified and corrected by the RE factory and they issued a replacement green box with these improvements in it.

If you own a AVL model and it still has the original black box controller in it you can call CMW (Classic Motor Works), the importer to the US and give them the serial number of your motorcycle and they will send you the new green box free.

I think their phone number is the same as Nfieldgear (the US Royal Enfield parts supplier) and is 1-800-358-0938.
If I got the number wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary