Author Topic: First motorcycle... Probably not wise, but I really want this  (Read 2499 times)

jamie3beers

• Neophyte
Hi all, I am new to the forum, been reading it for a couple months now (planning on getting a Royal Enfield as my first motorcycle).  I really like the new models and their reliability, and I am especially a sucker for the look of the bike, but now I have reached an impasse with my decision.  I have also been going to royalenfields.com for the past few months and always look at the used bikes that are for sale that he has listed, and I have seen this one for a while now - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3094230966.html - AND I REALLY WANT IT.  I looked up the bike on NADA, and if it is in excellent condition, it retails for $4815, but it has the 535cc engine now instead of the original.  Would this add value to the bike?  Also, I am guessing people may try to deter me from getting something like this, and I would love to get some input either way.

Thanks!
Jamie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:10:54 pm
I think I would check the frame # to see if it's the year  represented. The motor obviously isn't. I'd be carefull spending that much on a chopper RE.   ERC 
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:27:17 pm
Hmmmm,,

I would definately grill the seller about the bottom end of the motor. If it is indeed a 535 you want the bottom end to have been rebuilt with better quality bearing and a better con rod and big end.  If it has a stock 350 bottom end that may spell granade like doom in the future.

It does have a 500(535 capably) head.  Nice air filter and pipe.  RH shift has been done but it is only a 4 speed so it is worth asking if any work has been done to the clutch.  I also looks like an oversized fuel tank.

Appears to have an Iron jug, which is unfortunate, if I was boring a 500 out to 535 I myself would put alloy on just for the improvement in cooling. 

Looks to have a smaller 28mm or so carb,  a 30mm or 32mm would serve a 535 better.

Nice bike,  IMO $4000 would be pushing the top of the value if it has a good bottom end $3000 to $3500 tops.   If it has a stock 500 bottom I would give maybe $2000 and a 350 bottom $1500.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:15:52 pm
jamie3beers: I would say a strict No to this one. The 535s must be built with top notch parts, bottom to top, else it calls for very very regular maintenance. This bike is strictly for people with a lot of knowledge and mechanical inclination, or people whose best friends are mechanics  ;D For peace of mind go for the new UCE engine bikes, either the B5, C5 or the G5........these are proper bikes that can take you places, not like a Harley ! still.....

jamie3beers

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39:30 pm
Thanks for the info everyone!  I think I am going to stick with the UCE after the advice.  I will continue to browse through this forum to drool  ;)

Jamie

Brad-C5

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 03:33:58 am
Are you near Philly?  There is a dealer in Pottstown (west, near Limerick)