Author Topic: Just wondering?  (Read 3918 times)

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:12 am
I have 3100+ miles in 2 1/2 months I think (closer to three?) and I have watch the silencer blue through its various stages. I was wondering how far back towards the end of the silencer will it go? I am surprised as to how far it has gotten. I actually don't mind the blue it is kinda pretty. Yeah I said pretty.  I am including a pic of the silencer, for those that have about the same or higher mileage and still are running with stock exhaust does your silencer look about the same?
Signature

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:10:43 am
Yours looks nice .....   I took mine off way before it got to that stage.

I'm guessing you run close to full throttle a significant amount of time.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:40 am
actualy no but unfortunately lately I have had to ride on the interstate a fairly long distance. for intance I attended my great aunt's funeral which was a 360 mile round trip mostly highway miles.  the odd thing is my header pipe is just now discoloring at the elbow after it comes from the motor. it seems like it would have been much hotter there.  I have been making sure there is no loose bolts and found one today but its the first one in the last 2000 miles.  I am extremely happy with my C5.  I hate running it long distance but at least it had almost 2500 before hand. I had up until then kept it on rural roads and two lane 98% of the time rarely above 60 but some times 65 if in a hurry. From time to time I have had to pass quickly but other then that I have kept it laid back on the throttle and gears. my C5 is the best ride I have ever had I want to make sure it sticks around for a very long time. I guess all the miles in a short time and the ngk plug probably had some thing to do with the blue. I like ittoo bad I cant get the rest of it that way.
Signature

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:49:58 am
My header pipe discoloured much later than the silencer aswell. Seems that either the steel or the chromium is better than that used for the silencer. Actually the header pipe discolours very slow, I remember vividly the sea-blue pipes of my old BMW after a fast tour.
You can attempt to polish it away and probaly will be halfway sucessfull, especially on the silencer. I´m running Hitchcock´s short bottle pipe and it blues similarily. I don´t care much but don´t like the harsh borders between bright chrome and dark blue or brown. When polishing it´s possible get fluent passages between them, which is kind of nice. After all, it´s a carthorse  ;)
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:05:11 pm
A catalytic converter is designed to run ultra-hot. That's why it is bluing the muffler more than the header pipe. The converter is at the front of the muffler.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:21 pm
Hi Brash,at 3700 miles my header pipe is a little blue but the stock silencer is still shiny chrome.perhaps thats because I'm not going fast enough??I touch 60 mph occasionally but anything much over and my fingers go numb.Time to reconsider my bar end weights perhaps as I gather they can make a difference.
 Hope you are feeling better and have sorted out the problem with your ear???regards Boo X
Adventure before dementia

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:44 pm
the exhaust pipe is double walled which is why it doesn't blue much. The mufflers, stock or otherwise, aren't so they will show bluing much earlier. They are a heat dam which makes them hold the heat at the baffles and blue there.
Any turn or diameter change in the pipe diameter will be inclined to turn, also.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:47:57 pm
After over 11,000 miles my head pipe is blue/rainbowed 6-8" from the head.

Scott

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:53 pm
my ear has completely healed after I cut the nasty black lump open a week into taking antibiotics with a week remaining. that was a disgusting experience both the gore that gushed out and the horrible smell. 

plus I finaly found a new gastro who changed my meds and I am having far fewer problems!
Signature

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:38:27 pm
Hi Brash,glad to hear you are on the mend.I was a bit worried about you.I am a microbiologist so we love things that ooze and smell nasty!!its meat and drink to us! Boo X

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 08:45:08 pm
we love things that ooze and smell nasty!!

another Harley Davidson rider eh ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

bikerboo

• Scooter
  • 2011 Classic
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:57:30 pm
oh no no no no no!!! nasty oozy smells confined to microbes not motorbikes!BooXX

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 02:27:07 am
I am including a pic of the silencer, for those that have about the same or higher mileage and still are running with stock exhaust does your silencer look about the same?

I have seen a few of them blue in the front half like that, but I don't recall one bluing all the way back.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:34:56 am
thought I would stop in and say hello to every one.

I seldom ride my RE or Yamaha these days. I am contemplating selling both bikes now. I have had health problems that have been persistent for a year now.  They stem from pre existing conditions how ever they have seem to progressively gotten worse over the past year and even more so in the past couple of months.  I am afraid that I will end up getting in a wreck how ever as it is I simply can not ride. Every time I ride I pay for it. I have not made up my mind but my doctors all pretty much agree it is best I stop riding. I don't know what to think about that. I know I am always all over the map but damned I never thought the doctors was going to bitch at me. I don't want to give up riding yet I have in a way.  What is there besides riding I have two exwives and I done did all my youthful recklessness. I am to young to be old.  I am defiant and most likely always will be so normaly I would ride on. In this case riding on could get me hurt or worse. I don't think it is worth it. Perhaps being that I am stuborn I will hold out in hopes that I will improve. That is the likely scenario.  Very very very depressing.

BrashRooster
                                         The cocky cock

Signature

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:34 am
Any riding is good riding.  If you want to keep your options open get an inexpensive Honda Rebel or some other old 250 in good running condition, or even a scooter.  Sell you RE and Yamaha and get the money out of them.  Less money tied up, less garage space taken up.  If your health improves and you have a good day, take a short ride.  If it's a bad day, choose not to ride.  Don't endanger yourself or others but making it your choice can make all the difference.  I know what it feels like when your health can limit your choices about your life.  Take it a day at a time.

Scott

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 11:01:11 am
What is there besides riding I have two exwives and I done did all my youthful recklessness. I am to young to be old. 

If you sell the bikes, consider a little convertible.  Driving my Miata isn't like riding my bikes; but top down with a stick shift, its a lot closer than anything else I've done.