Author Topic: dyna beads for tyre balancing  (Read 4074 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:03 am
I've read a bit about Dyna beads and tire balancing and thought I'd give them a try. Cost about $28 including postage from the USA to Australia.
Kit included Dyna beads - plastic hose and puffer style plastic bottle.

Recommended weight of Dyna beads per wheel was 2oz. Naturally you get 2 x 2oz packets

Close up of the micro beads. That's one 2oz packet.

Once I had spooned all the beads into the bottle ( best way to get them in ) it was just a matter of turning the wheel/tire valve to the 6 o clock position then slip the small plastic tube to the valve.
To get the beads free flowing - I gently tapped the top side of the plastic bottle. Don't be aggressive with this task or they will completely block the valve up and you will have to remove the tube and start all over again.
Took about 2 minutes per wheel plus the extra time to reinstall the valve and foot pump the tires to correct pressure.

Unfortunately that's as far as i got and it started to rain. Although I would have like to give it a quick run I'd just finished the bleed job on the front disc so would prefer to risk it on a dry track.
Good weather predicted tomorrow so hopefully to continue on with a test ride and evaluation on the product............or should the member's give it a go.
 Stay tuned and time will tell.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:58:47 am

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:40:59 pm
I've used similar weights inside my jeep off-road tires with good results and a noticeable improvement in balance. Let us know how they work out.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:26:59 pm
I never used them ,but was under the impression that dyna beads only worked in a tubeless tire.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:43:43 pm
I wonder what bit of techno-wizardry makes these beads superior to the same mass of water ?

Seems to me, these things are sliding & banging into each other....  Wouldn't they deform over time and become abrasive ?

Just the musings of a simple mind .......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:28 pm
I've seen items similar to this over the years, but they don't seem to remain on the market. I honestly can't see how they can really work. It would seem to the stuff is going to settle to the bottom of the tire every time you stop, then it would have rebalance itself every time you take off. And why would it do that in the first place
Let us know how it works for you.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:09:52 pm
I used dyna beads in previous bike tires and they seemed to work fine.  Can be  used in tube tires.  Recently found essentially the same product much cheaper ($1.88/oz) on ebay - search for "tire balancing beads motorcycle".   Al

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:17 am
In an issue of Rider Magazine, Chris Sidah of Chris's Corner quoted someones law of physics stating that gravity overpowers centrifugal  force in this type of application. That the beads would just stay at the bottom. Having the wheels balanced on a computerized spin balancer or even an old school static balancer when new tires are installed seems fine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:06:22 am by Tri750 »
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:18:43 am
Without getting into the Physics of it I think Chris Sidah is trying to pull our legs.

For those who are using these beads, I hope so.

Somehow, the thought of a bunch of beads skidding along inside my tire and wearing out the inner tube in the process is unsettling to me. :)

Maybe these things actually do work but I can't figure out why the beads would all migrate to the lightest point inside a tire and decide to settle there to balance it.
Now, if they really do stay at the bottom of the tire carcass then once per revolution they will be adding their weight to the heavy location on the tire/rim combination.

Call me skeptical but I rate these things up there with the vortex generator that goes into a carburetor and  the magnets that create a "magnetic flux" that magically makes fuel burn better.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/gas-mileage/1802932

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:42:24 am
The beads sling to the portion of the tire that is farthest from the center, or opposite the heavy side.  They will migrate if a new "farthest" point is created.  It works by equalizing the "mass" of the wheel, which in effect balances the weight.  Yes, when you stop everything drops to the bottom but slings right back in place.

Go watch this video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I  it is a video for a product geared towards big rigs but the principle is the same. Wait for the strobe light portion, it should clear up some concepts.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:27:15 am
The heavy spot in the tire creates an acceleration away from the axis, the beads are "scouped-up"  by the geometry of the tire and collect on the opposite side from the heavy spot.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 07:22:14 pm
I've seen the demos of these beads and they seem to work BUT that's in a tire rotating at steady state.  Accelerate, decelerate, hit some big bumps, and I'm not sure they'll continue to stay where they should.  Further, just stop and they all roll to the bottom.  That means every time you start from a stop the tire has to rebalance itself and that takes a few wobbly seconds.  I don't want to go through that cycle 50 times a day on my commute.

Seriously, is it that hard or that expensive to just get a tire balanced at a shop with conventional weights?

Scott