Author Topic: oil leak under kick start cover  (Read 3554 times)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
on: August 22, 2012, 06:51:21 pm
Not that 'oil leaks' are a new topic here, but I didn't find anything that addressed specifically what I think I have.

After some testing. I have determined that my 2012 C5 is leaking oil past the kick start lever cover, (not the kick start shaft seal itself). After thoroughly cleaning that area and observing that overnight, oil reappears at the bottom edge of this cover. Engine doesn't need to run, it just shows up. It is not tracking down from anywhere else on the engine.

I have both the factory shop manual and the factory parts manual, so I think I am about to tackle this job myself. I know there must be a few of you out there that have removed the RH side engine cover - anything I should be aware of? I'm not sure what I'll find, but this cover has to be removed to gain full access to the 4 very small Allen bolts that secure the kick start lever cover. (The three bolts I could access were tight), but looking at the schematic, there doesn't appear to be a gasket of any kind under this cover. I plan on making a gasket, or using some type of 'gasket making' sealer before reassembling.

Anyone have a similar situation? Any/all comments welcome!
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:16:20 pm
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:39 pm
Great video..I wonder how long he waited for the gasket. I can't even get the full set of sprockets, to say nothing of an exhaust gasket I need..and I ordered all of them 2 months ago.

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:06:14 pm
"Great video..I wonder how long he waited for the gasket. I can't even get the full set of sprockets, to say nothing of an exhaust gasket I need..and I ordered all of them 2 months ago."...

This has me concerned also, I think I'll order any/all gaskets that I'll need before I pull this thing apart. The leak is not so bad that I cannot ride the bike - more of a 'seepage'...  Oh yeah, I've been waiting almost two months for a standard, black, oval tool box lid....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:08:37 pm by foggy95 »
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120