Author Topic: 15,000 miles !  (Read 4892 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:13 pm
Congrats!  I can't wait to start racking up the miles on my RE...

A few years back I bought a scooter (Honda Ruckus) to commute from Redlands to Loma Linda.  When I traded it in, the dealer asked how many miles it had.  I said "11 thousand."  He laughed and said "you mean 11 hundred."  I said "no. Thousand."  Everyone at the dealership came out and looked in disbelief.  A motorcycle hitting 11k in a year is not so surprising, but a scooter is beyond belief apparently.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:53 pm
Nice going Jack!  You make us all look like slackers.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 06:21:59 pm

A few years back I bought a scooter (Honda Ruckus) to commute from Redlands to Loma Linda.  When I traded it in, the dealer asked how many miles it had.  I said "11 thousand."  He laughed and said "you mean 11 hundred."  I said "no. Thousand."  Everyone at the dealership came out and looked in disbelief.  A motorcycle hitting 11k in a year is not so surprising, but a scooter is beyond belief apparently.

How many tires ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 07:09:23 pm
How many tires ?

I think I only replaced the tires once.  The Ruckus has some decent tires for a scooter.  I let them wear far too much though.  The rear actually wound up wearing down to the threads and going flat while riding.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:21 pm
The rear actually wound up wearing down to the threads and going flat while riding.

I have run a lot of tires to the core, but I don't think I've flattened one. I've had so many flats over the years that I can't remember all of them, except that most of them occurred with a couple of hundred miles from new.  I got rather good and patching and plugging. I think I was averaging about 3 repairs per tire before I wore them out!
Sorry guys, I could never go for the replace a flat tire syndrome. They're too damned expensive for that. I may have had a slow leak in a repair a time or two, but I just rerepaired it and the leaking stopped. I never had a tire fail from being repaired, and if you haven't figured this part about me yet, I wasn't one to slow down because I repaired a tire.
I haven't had a flat since I've gone back to tube tires...Hmm. Better shut up, now!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:49 pm

hehe yeh... i had a vespa a while back... owned it for a few years.. i racked up almost 40,000kms on it... started life a s 50cc... when i sold it, it was a 70cc that could easily get the front wheel off the ground :p

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03:57 pm
hehe yeh... i had a vespa a while back... owned it for a few years.. i racked up almost 40,000kms on it... started life a s 50cc... when i sold it, it was a 70cc that could easily get the front wheel off the ground :p

That sounds like good fun!  I always wanted a Vespa that wasn't nerfed by Cantifornia.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 11:09:43 pm
I have run a lot of tires to the core, but I don't think I've flattened one. I've had so many flats over the years that I can't remember all of them, except that most of them occurred with a couple of hundred miles from new.  I got rather good and patching and plugging. I think I was averaging about 3 repairs per tire before I wore them out!
Sorry guys, I could never go for the replace a flat tire syndrome. They're too damned expensive for that. I may have had a slow leak in a repair a time or two, but I just rerepaired it and the leaking stopped. I never had a tire fail from being repaired, and if you haven't figured this part about me yet, I wasn't one to slow down because I repaired a tire.
I haven't had a flat since I've gone back to tube tires...Hmm. Better shut up, now!
Bare

I've made friends with a few nails and screws on my various 2-wheelers as well.  Doesn't help that the tires get really prone to puncture as they wear thin.  But I simply have a hard time replacing a tire that still holds air.  I'll get it bald to the point it's nice and smooth like a stock car tire and still still think "should I replace that yet?  ...nah."  Probably not the smartest thing to do!