Author Topic: My (350) Enfield scrambler adventures :)  (Read 20563 times)

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:25:58 pm
Radiator leak was my bets guess ;)

Question: I drilled out my idle jet quite a bit, but I still have the CO-mixture screw way, way out. I've cleaned the carb numerous times. Any clue what the reason could be besides an air like in the inlet manifold? (I ruled that out)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:26:15 pm
Question: I drilled out my idle jet quite a bit, but I still have the CO-mixture screw way, way out. I've cleaned the carb numerous times. Any clue what the reason could be besides an air like in the inlet manifold? (I ruled that out)
Don't know what carb you have, but it seems to me that if you drill out your idle jet you're enriching the mix, then unscrewing the screw leans it out (if it's an air-bleed screw like the vm28).  So to get back in the adjustment range you need a smaller jet.

Handmade Matt

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:12 am
I really love your bike, you must be really pleased. I've just completed a similar project. Mine's more of a trail bike than a trials bike. I've retained the tool boxes so that I can carry tools and spares for long off road adventures. Here she is in all her glory:

I made a video of my doing some pretty muddy ridding as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhW5WtGaQw
www.HandmadeMatt.com

I write articles about all of my creations on my website.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 03:59:54 pm
Right.....A leaky enfield in a pond of water....LoL...Great pics that Miob takes..Not many backgrounds a Enfield doesn't look bad against.....I never did see so many bright sunny days when I lived there...Maybe it just a spot of sun when he snaps the pics...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 05:49:37 pm
Don't know what carb you have, but it seems to me that if you drill out your idle jet you're enriching the mix, then unscrewing the screw leans it out (if it's an air-bleed screw like the vm28).  So to get back in the adjustment range you need a smaller jet.

I don't know which carb I have, but it would certainly explain things! (on all my other bikes you enrich by unscrewing the CO screw).  Thank you.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:51 pm
I really love your bike, you must be really pleased. I've just completed a similar project. Mine's more of a trail bike than a trials bike. I've retained the tool boxes so that I can carry tools and spares for long off road adventures. Here she is in all her glory:

I made a video of my doing some pretty muddy ridding as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhW5WtGaQw

Very, very, very nice bike and a great video. I wish we had roads/trails like that over here.

I posted it on my website, hope you don't mind?

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 05:53:49 pm
Right.....A leaky enfield in a pond of water....LoL...Great pics that Miob takes..Not many backgrounds a Enfield doesn't look bad against.....I never did see so many bright sunny days when I lived there...Maybe it just a spot of sun when he snaps the pics...GM

The day started out so gray I could not even see the difference between water and the sky, but almost suddenly the overcast disappeared and we had this fabulous photography weather. Hope we'll get many, many more days like that this year.

Handmade Matt

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:03 pm

Very, very, very nice bike and a great video. I wish we had roads/trails like that over here.

I posted it on my website, hope you don't mind?

Thanks bud. We are spoilt for trails. I'm just missing someone to ride with. If ever you feel like a holiday? Ha. Where are you anyway?
I don't mind at all being on your website, it's an honour. Could you credit www.HandmadeMatt.com for me? It's a blog I write. (I've yet to publish the bike project but I will do soon.) Cheers buddy and no worries.
www.HandmadeMatt.com

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:22:21 pm
I included a link to your website :)

I'm in Holland, a trip across the pond (preferably to Scotland to be honest) is very high on the wish list (but low on the I-can-afford-this-list).

Handmade Matt

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:53 pm
I included a link to your website :)

I'm in Holland, a trip across the pond (preferably to Scotland to be honest) is very high on the wish list (but low on the I-can-afford-this-list).

My brother lives in Utrecht with his girlfriend. Maybe I'll trailer my bike over when I visit one day.
www.HandmadeMatt.com

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:42 pm
Can't be a very long ride from your brother's. I live in Utrecht too.

You're always welcome.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:28 pm
You got my vote. Keep it up ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 06:46:10 am
I've put new tires (Heidenau K60's) on my Enfield and am loving the resukt.

The off road grip is great.

One technical question though: After riding for a while, espcially during heavier off road use, gear changes (especially shifting back down the gears) gets really hard. At times it is even easer to reach down with my hand and pull the shift lever up because it just takes too much strength to do it with my toes.

Gearbox oil is new and up to the right level and I greased it. Any suggestions?

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:00 am
Where did iyou put the electrics?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:42 pm
I've put new tires (Heidenau K60's) on my Enfield and am loving the resukt.

The off road grip is great.

One technical question though: After riding for a while, espcially during heavier off road use, gear changes (especially shifting back down the gears) gets really hard. At times it is even easer to reach down with my hand and pull the shift lever up because it just takes too much strength to do it with my toes.

Gearbox oil is new and up to the right level and I greased it. Any suggestions?
Sounds like the clutches are distorting as they heat up which is common.
There are improved bits to be had that don't suffer in the heat but they are priced commensurately of course.
No matter where you go, there, you are.