Author Topic: Kickstart woes  (Read 4169 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:33 pm
I did not know how to kickstart a single when I started this company. I soon learned and became VERY good at it. One of the most important lessons I learned was to NEVER kick start someone elses bike. You have no idea of how they are tuned and it is a sure way to get a kick in the shins.

In addition to the list below another reason for poor starting, kick back etc. is a weak battery. The tube between the carb and head is a wear item and timing is critical. Like someone else here said the best place to start is with the basics. good plus, good battery voltage, no intake leaks, good gas and correct timing. All of these things are dirt simple but if they are off you are only throwing parts at the problem.

The problem with the stock advance system is that it goes to full advance very quickly. For the most part this is not problem at all, but remember these bikes were designed to be a very basic low speed commuter and there is a lot of leeway allowed.

A tip for installing electronic ignitions is to hook up the wire coming from the wiring harness to the points  and not do it directly to the coil. This will allow you to retain the kill switch
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 09:57:38 pm
Funny u should mention the tube between the carb..After 6 years, I decided to replace it today and few other odds n ends...Free shipping till tomorrow Midnight...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again