Author Topic: My (350) Enfield scrambler adventures :)  (Read 20569 times)

Miob

• Scooter
on: August 19, 2012, 08:49:35 pm
I've posted a few questions on this forum, but I thought it might be better to keep them in one topic. I hope you guys don't mind.

I bought a 350 Bullet a few months back. In parts. It's a '76 Indian Enfield.

I've been customizing quite a few bikes in the last couple of years, all low budget, the Enfield is no exception on the low budget. The plan was (is) a minimalistic all-roader/scrambler/trial-like bike.

I traded a back wheel that came with teh bike for yokes without an integrated headlight and welded my own exhaust (made out of BMW headers, a gravy bowl, a thermos and a salad bowl. ow budget, remember?)

A pancake filter was also included in the trade and I bought some aluminum fenders. I made my own wiring harness. I bought an old seat on a swap meet. The handle bars were some bars I just happened to have and they looked and felt right.

That was my second test ride.

I later made some struts for the front fender and installed it.

Today I had my fourth test ride. I spend most of it off road and that's a completely new experience for me, so you can laugh at my style all you want :)

http://youtu.be/BGFGHMkaSmo

I'll especially have to practice my water crossings.....  :-X

But I am improving:

http://youtu.be/VoEzQbfZdZY

I'm having a few problems with the bike, nothing major, but maybe some of you guys can shed some light on them:
- The bike seems to spit quite a bit of oil out of the crank breather. Worn cylinder? Normal?
- The bike is pretty hard to get in first gear and sometimes it jumps out of first gear,
- The bike, when warm, tends to spit in the carburetor when you twist the throttle when the bike is idling.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:51:36 pm by Miob »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:14:01 am
Thanks for sharing--absolutely fantastic bike.

To your questions, with what little I can offer:

-See the breather thread going on just below this one (once I've bumped it.)  According to the wise Ice, if you run your oil tank cap fully closed, this creates a vacuum which results in much more oil being lost through the breather.  Check that it's on loosely (one click from open) rather than full-closed (two clicks in) which would be everyone's normal inclination.

-Get a Snidal manual and adjust transmission accordingly.   Not difficult to correct what sounds like a common problem many of us faced with our 4-spds...

-If you figure out the spitting thing, let me know.  My 1977 350 is doing the same and I have not nailed down exactly why yet.  It seems rich at cold start (no choke needed for a 1-2 kick start, and engaging choke makes it impossible to start), yet seems lean when warm according to Ace's advice...that's when it spits gray smoke at me when trying to start or when opening the throttle suddenly.  It will also die quietly under hard braking when warm. I am thinking I will check the float level next. 

I am running a slightly rich 30/105 pilot/main combo, up from the stock 25/90 jets.  Do you see gray smoke when it spits?  Is it stalling every time it does so?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:23:34 am by AgentX »

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:33 am
Still looks great, and nice photos/video too.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:13:13 am
Still enjoying myself a lot with the Enfield. I have a question though: I have the newish regulator and rectifier (2 units). Does anyone have any experience with replacing those with a single unit from a different bike?

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:25:27 pm
Nice pic. Make good desktop picture.
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:52:04 pm
I always enjoy his pics and adventures...Thanks.
Oh Magoo you done it again

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:59:08 pm
Very nice what are you using for ignition?    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:50 pm
Forgot to add put a Podtronic regulator on it. Comes with a wiring diagram.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:42 pm
I've posted a few questions on this forum, but I thought it might be better to keep them in one topic. I hope you guys don't mind.

I bought a 350 Bullet a few months back. In parts. It's a '76 Indian Enfield.

I've been customizing quite a few bikes in the last couple of years, all low budget, the Enfield is no exception on the low budget. The plan was (is) a minimalistic all-roader/scrambler/trial-like bike.

I traded a back wheel that came with teh bike for yokes without an integrated headlight and welded my own exhaust (made out of BMW headers, a gravy bowl, a thermos and a salad bowl. ow budget, remember?)

A pancake filter was also included in the trade and I bought some aluminum fenders. I made my own wiring harness. I bought an old seat on a swap meet. The handle bars were some bars I just happened to have and they looked and felt right.

That was my second test ride.

I later made some struts for the front fender and installed it.

Today I had my fourth test ride. I spend most of it off road and that's a completely new experience for me, so you can laugh at my style all you want :)

http://youtu.be/BGFGHMkaSmo

I'll especially have to practice my water crossings.....  :-X

But I am improving:

http://youtu.be/VoEzQbfZdZY

I'm having a few problems with the bike, nothing major, but maybe some of you guys can shed some light on them:
- The bike seems to spit quite a bit of oil out of the crank breather. Worn cylinder? Normal?
- The bike is pretty hard to get in first gear and sometimes it jumps out of first gear,
- The bike, when warm, tends to spit in the carburetor when you twist the throttle when the bike is idling.

The pics ! the videos !! WOW !!! It's like a trip back to the late 70's for me !!
They're fantastic. I hope you don't mind if I add them to my slide show.

Your build is spot on authentic and matches exactly what we were up to in my neighborhood back then. The riding style and terrain are a match as well.

Beers to you Sir !
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:39 pm
Very nice what are you using for ignition?    ERC

Thank you. I am using the stock point ignition.

Forgot to add put a Podtronic regulator on it. Comes with a wiring diagram.   ERC

Thanks for that. I needed to google it, but it looks really interesting. I'll do some research.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:07 pm

The pics ! the videos !! WOW !!! It's like a trip back to the late 70's for me !!
They're fantastic. I hope you don't mind if I add them to my slide show.

Your build is spot on authentic and matches exactly what we were up to in my neighborhood back then. The riding style and terrain are a match as well.

Beers to you Sir !

Thank you sir!

I am enjoying this bike massively. It is so much fun to ride and despite of the fact that not all my rides are legal (most unpaved roads here are closed for motorized traffic) I get very positive responses when I ride it.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:02:36 pm
Was wondering about the ignition because I can't see a battery to power the standard set up. Maybe it's my age and eyes getting me.  ERC

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:01 pm
I am using a very small battery, hidden behind the gearbox.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:39:08 pm
Still having electrical problems  :o. Pretty sure it's not a mass problem, but it seems like it's short-circuiting every once in a while for a short period of time and I can't find where :S.

But that does not stop me from riding ;)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 03:12:21 pm
Is that an oil leak?
May contain nuts.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:25:58 pm
Radiator leak was my bets guess ;)

Question: I drilled out my idle jet quite a bit, but I still have the CO-mixture screw way, way out. I've cleaned the carb numerous times. Any clue what the reason could be besides an air like in the inlet manifold? (I ruled that out)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:26:15 pm
Question: I drilled out my idle jet quite a bit, but I still have the CO-mixture screw way, way out. I've cleaned the carb numerous times. Any clue what the reason could be besides an air like in the inlet manifold? (I ruled that out)
Don't know what carb you have, but it seems to me that if you drill out your idle jet you're enriching the mix, then unscrewing the screw leans it out (if it's an air-bleed screw like the vm28).  So to get back in the adjustment range you need a smaller jet.

Handmade Matt

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:12 am
I really love your bike, you must be really pleased. I've just completed a similar project. Mine's more of a trail bike than a trials bike. I've retained the tool boxes so that I can carry tools and spares for long off road adventures. Here she is in all her glory:

I made a video of my doing some pretty muddy ridding as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhW5WtGaQw
www.HandmadeMatt.com

I write articles about all of my creations on my website.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 03:59:54 pm
Right.....A leaky enfield in a pond of water....LoL...Great pics that Miob takes..Not many backgrounds a Enfield doesn't look bad against.....I never did see so many bright sunny days when I lived there...Maybe it just a spot of sun when he snaps the pics...GM

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 05:49:37 pm
Don't know what carb you have, but it seems to me that if you drill out your idle jet you're enriching the mix, then unscrewing the screw leans it out (if it's an air-bleed screw like the vm28).  So to get back in the adjustment range you need a smaller jet.

I don't know which carb I have, but it would certainly explain things! (on all my other bikes you enrich by unscrewing the CO screw).  Thank you.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:51 pm
I really love your bike, you must be really pleased. I've just completed a similar project. Mine's more of a trail bike than a trials bike. I've retained the tool boxes so that I can carry tools and spares for long off road adventures. Here she is in all her glory:

I made a video of my doing some pretty muddy ridding as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhW5WtGaQw

Very, very, very nice bike and a great video. I wish we had roads/trails like that over here.

I posted it on my website, hope you don't mind?

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 05:53:49 pm
Right.....A leaky enfield in a pond of water....LoL...Great pics that Miob takes..Not many backgrounds a Enfield doesn't look bad against.....I never did see so many bright sunny days when I lived there...Maybe it just a spot of sun when he snaps the pics...GM

The day started out so gray I could not even see the difference between water and the sky, but almost suddenly the overcast disappeared and we had this fabulous photography weather. Hope we'll get many, many more days like that this year.

Handmade Matt

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:46:03 pm

Very, very, very nice bike and a great video. I wish we had roads/trails like that over here.

I posted it on my website, hope you don't mind?

Thanks bud. We are spoilt for trails. I'm just missing someone to ride with. If ever you feel like a holiday? Ha. Where are you anyway?
I don't mind at all being on your website, it's an honour. Could you credit www.HandmadeMatt.com for me? It's a blog I write. (I've yet to publish the bike project but I will do soon.) Cheers buddy and no worries.
www.HandmadeMatt.com

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:22:21 pm
I included a link to your website :)

I'm in Holland, a trip across the pond (preferably to Scotland to be honest) is very high on the wish list (but low on the I-can-afford-this-list).

Handmade Matt

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 07:32:53 pm
I included a link to your website :)

I'm in Holland, a trip across the pond (preferably to Scotland to be honest) is very high on the wish list (but low on the I-can-afford-this-list).

My brother lives in Utrecht with his girlfriend. Maybe I'll trailer my bike over when I visit one day.
www.HandmadeMatt.com

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:42 pm
Can't be a very long ride from your brother's. I live in Utrecht too.

You're always welcome.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:28 pm
You got my vote. Keep it up ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 06:46:10 am
I've put new tires (Heidenau K60's) on my Enfield and am loving the resukt.

The off road grip is great.

One technical question though: After riding for a while, espcially during heavier off road use, gear changes (especially shifting back down the gears) gets really hard. At times it is even easer to reach down with my hand and pull the shift lever up because it just takes too much strength to do it with my toes.

Gearbox oil is new and up to the right level and I greased it. Any suggestions?

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:00 am
Where did iyou put the electrics?
May contain nuts.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:42 pm
I've put new tires (Heidenau K60's) on my Enfield and am loving the resukt.

The off road grip is great.

One technical question though: After riding for a while, espcially during heavier off road use, gear changes (especially shifting back down the gears) gets really hard. At times it is even easer to reach down with my hand and pull the shift lever up because it just takes too much strength to do it with my toes.

Gearbox oil is new and up to the right level and I greased it. Any suggestions?
Sounds like the clutches are distorting as they heat up which is common.
There are improved bits to be had that don't suffer in the heat but they are priced commensurately of course.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 05:22:33 am
What is your riding habit? The clutch is one of the weakest links and was
designed to just be engaged momentarily to change gears. For example
you should go to neutral at stop signs. By holding the clutch, they can
overheat, drag,  as well as cause cable stretch. That is why they gave us
the neutral finder so that we only have to use the weak link as little as possible.
                        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:45 am
Where did iyou put the electrics?

If you look really carefully, you can see them. I made a new, minimal, wiring loom.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:36 am
Ice and Baird444:

I try to use the clutch as little as possible (always in neutral when waiting for traffic lights for instance), but going off road it is harder not to use the clutch a lot. I'll try to remember, thank you for the advice!

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 08:26:23 pm
Still really enjoying  the Enfield, I made a short video of one of my rides and thought you might enjoy it:

http://youtu.be/d3y7eOiTyKQ

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 12:11:42 am
Still really enjoying  the Enfield, I made a short video of one of my rides and thought you might enjoy it:

Nice clip, too short
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 02:16:27 am
Thanks for getting us out in the mud n water...Great fun and fantastic camera work...

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 10:33:47 am
A short update on my Enfield:

I was growing really tired of the headlight bulb burning out pretty much every time I rode the bike, so I changed it for a high power led headlight (6$ from china, including housing. Good enough light (more powerful, but narrower beam) It has not failed in many, many miles).

I also had to repair and re-enforce the aluminum fenders. That's pretty much it, only other thing I did is some minor regular service.

It's getting some very, very heavy use. I take it to the single tracks in the woods a couple of times per week. It even gets some air time there....

http://vimeo.com/m/64136860

All in all it is by far the most loved bike out of my collection of 4 bikes.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 10:43:13 am
Those chinese lights are pretty awesome! bunch of my friends are using them and good results indeed! :)

Also found something which fits inside the Headlight console, powered by 20w LED.

Here's the http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-led-headlamps-20w-electric-bicycle-led-headlight-motorcycle-super-bright-lighting-big-bulb/818415308.html

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:54 am
Time for an update :)

Since the last update I suffered form a broken inlet pushrod. Turned out the previous owner had forgotten to install the valve cap, this caused the top of the valve to wear, increasing the angle the pushrod had to make. I was very lucky the valve didn't drop...

You can see the worn valve on the left.

But apart form that, the Enfield has been running beautifully. This is a video of the last 2 days:

http://vimeo.com/m/73243067

Tech question: The gearbox leaks a bit via the gearshifter shaft. Can I replace that seal from the outside, or do I need to take off the gearbox?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 12:53:03 pm
Cool vid!  Glad you caught the the valve issue before it grenaded your motor.  :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:22 pm
Nice video. I hate to see people having that much fun when I'm not in on it!
If the outside seal behind the shift arm is leaking, you may need to pull the outer cover off. You don't need to pull the gearbox.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 10:27:47 am
Great to see your having so much fun, love the photos.

Miob

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: November 24, 2013, 07:23:26 am
Still going :)

For no real reason at all, it was running fine, I decided to take of the old carb:

To try a Bing carb I bought at a jumble:

All I can say is: WOW. It really did run nice on the old carb, even when just blipping the throttle on downshifts, but the Bing carb made things even better, way better.

It feels a lot more powerful all throughout the rev range (and I am sure it is, I have no troubles keeping up with modern traffic anymore). I can highly recommend it to anyone.

Next thing I bought was a drone for my Gopro camera. I told my girlfriend to take the Enfield an go for a ride while I filmed. This is the result:

http://youtu.be/5ISDnA8nep0

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 24, 2013, 02:02:31 pm
Really cool video for just messing around.  I'd love to have one of those Go Pro drones, but I can't even afford a Go Pro!  LOL

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 24, 2013, 03:58:23 pm
Drones? I was wondering  if he was in a balloon filming...Those GoPro are really something...Your girlfriend was having a blast .. ;D

amritc

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: November 24, 2013, 08:22:13 pm
If its still spitting grey smoke from the carburettor, check the rubber pipe between the carb and the inlet manifold. If the rubber is torn replace it.. Just a suggestion as I foudn mine to have the same problem and fixed by replacing the pipe. cheers