Author Topic: Tire recommendations G5 with sidecar?  (Read 4959 times)

AwL

• Scooter
on: August 19, 2012, 05:03:45 am
Looking to future tire replacement on G5 with sidecar.  Currently running Avon Speedmaster MK II front, Avon SM MK II rear - both seem fine but wondered if there are other recommendations for sidecar rigs?

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:19 pm
A lot of guys use that rear Avon SM Mark II on all three with a sidecar because they last so long and the square profile works well with a hack.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11:08 pm
My G5 came with Avon SM-II front and rear.  Sidecar had 3.25-19 Avon Sidecar on it.  At about 3k miles the front was slick in thew center and was replaced with Dunlop K-70 3.25-19.  It gave almost 2 inches increase in circumference which greatly reduced the speedometer error.  I plan to replace rear with Avon 3.5-19 Sidecar when the time comes.  I have not found a source of that in 3.25-19, so would probably go with the K-70 on front and sidecar.  It is too soon to tel, but I think it will give good mileage.  I rather like it.  GA-DK

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:21:29 am
Thanks for the info guys.  Speedmaster was getting down to wear bars so opted for Dunlop K70 replacement after reading this and other treads. Test ride after installation felt fine.  We'll see how many miles we get out of it.  Al

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:32:15 am
My only concern with a K70 is on the rear tire as they tend to wear out pretty fast.    That said I just put a new K70 on the rear of my outfit.   I rather change an easy K70 every 4k miles instead of fighting a Speedmaster truck tire every 8k. 

To be honest I would like to try something other than a K70 on the rear but have yet to find anything in the size for a reasonably priced. The Avon 3.5-19 Sidecar looks pretty good.

Edit... Now you have me surfing.
Here we go.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/sidecar

And a good thread..

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7831&start=15

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:38:24 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:24 pm
Well, the Dunlop K70 i put on the front 2800 miles ago is well worn in the center of the tread.  Lots left to the sides but will have to replace it soon.  I attribute the wear to the softness of the K70 rubber and the extra weight from the sidecar during braking.  So, hunting for tire with "harder" rubber that would last longer.   Recommendations from tire companies for 3.25x19 tires are: Michilin pilot active,  Bridgestone s11 spitfire.   Any experience with those or other recommendations?  Thanks,  al

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:23:57 am
My only concern with a K70 is on the rear tire as they tend to wear out pretty fast.    That said I just put a new K70 on the rear of my outfit.   I rather change an easy K70 every 4k miles instead of fighting a Speedmaster truck tire every 8k. 

To be honest I would like to try something other than a K70 on the rear but have yet to find anything in the size for a reasonably priced. The Avon 3.5-19 Sidecar looks pretty good.

Edit... Now you have me surfing.
Here we go.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/sidecar

And a good thread..

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7831&start=15
THE AVON SM's that come stock on the rear, are GREAT SIDECAR TIRES for all 3 wheels. Post a request for them on all the forums. they stink as solo tires so you should be able to pick some TAKEOFFS up CHEAP.  AVON makes a "sidecar duty" tire but not cheap.  You'll like the Avon SM's for sidecar tugs & hacks.  good luck.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:04:01 am
Hello All
Been awhile but I'm still here.  Now have about 3,500 miles on the G5 with Kozi Rocket.  All three tires are getting very worn.  Remember reading somewhere here that 3-4 thousand was about average for one of these rigs.  Will soon be replacing all three.  Do any of you have any experience with Heidenau tires?  Some of the folks over at United Sidecar Association site seem to like them.  I have a Heidenau K29 on order for the other rig I am putting together.  It is a 16 incher on an old Velorex car that I am rebuilding to mount on a Yamaha V-Star. Won't have that one together for a little while.  The body is in the shop having some custom work done.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem