Author Topic: Upswept exhaust  (Read 5035 times)

squire

• Bulleteer
on: August 16, 2012, 10:20:24 pm
When I recently bought my classic I got them to throw in an upswept exhaust, the one you see on all RE's websites and available through them. In fact on the Aussie website I believe it's shown on every bike. It's on back order and I'm waiting on this piece. I prefer the look of this exhaust but when I did a seach on this forum I came up with mostly negative comments but not many specifics. Basically, it just doesn't seem very popular. Can anyone who has tried this exhaust comment on it!! It's not too late to change to another system......I hope. I still prefer the looks of the "upswept" system, but...........

Thanks

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:29:27 pm
A friend of mine has an upswept on his. A bit noisier than my EFI. It runs pretty well. I don't really see anything wrong with it. If you like it, get it. i doubt that you will be disappointed. Can't recall for sure, but it seems like someone said theirs disassembled internally, but my friend hasn't had any trouble with his, so that's all I can go on.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:57:37 pm
i like the way it looks and how it sounds.
i modified my bags to work with it.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:16 am
Then you done it right, son! You like it, that's what counts.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:10 am
This style here ?

It actually sounds pretty good and is much lighter than the stock torpedo.

You will get a backfire on overrun occasionally when decelerating but you get that with nay free flow exhaust on a UCE bike.

The one thing that is not good and needs modifying is the heatshield. The stock heatshield is too short for the upswept and the hot exhaust can burn your leg and/or melt your rain gear whenever you stop.  The solution is to fit a longer heatshield, I bought the very long Samson one in the pic below designed for Harleys, there is another type for sale at this website.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:25 am
Glenn, with the seat, rack, and brass tank badges that's one sweet ride.

Scott

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:09 am
Thanks for the replys, great pictures. You guys confirmed I made the right pick.....for me at least.
Any other comments appreciated.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:36 am
I agree.
Very nice looking bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 12:29:23 am
where did you get the heat shield.
i have burned my riding pants and now usually keep my foot on the peg when i stop.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:53 am
I found a used Harley heat shield at a local Used Harley Parts store.

It is 10 1/2 inches long and held in place by two stainless steel hose clamps which attach to the inside of it.  When it is installed the hose clamps are totally hidden unless your looking at it from the bottom.

Based on the quality of the chrome I figured it would cost me about $15 but the lady at the store thought it was worth $20.  While talking to her, she said that Harley charges their customers over $160 for a new one.

I don't doubt it.  That's one of several reasons I don't own a Harley.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:53:58 am
where did you get the heat shield.
i have burned my riding pants and now usually keep my foot on the peg when i stop.

The one fitted to my bike is this 18"  one ...

http://www.samsonusa.com/H-113.html

There is also a similar (but slightly shorter) heat shield available from the website this forum is on.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 12:56:15 am
thanks.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 09:26:16 pm
Mine was the one that disentigrated internally...and at more than 4 months I am still waiting on the replacement!..dont get me wrong..i love the sound look and fit of the pipe but after 100 miles and it craps out i do believe i am rightous in my belief that I should get another one...   is it just me?  ::)

avandr

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 10:25:59 pm
I also looked at this option on purchasing my bike in melbourne recently but decided on the Hitchcock EFI pipe. Having said that the dealer was going to fit the upswept pipe and test mixture with their analyser, I would have maintained RE warranty. I was not too concerned about the mixture as i am a little old school and check the colour of my spark plug occasionally,  probably shot my warranty with the pipe i have though.

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:39:27 am
Mine was the one that disentigrated internally...and at more than 4 months I am still waiting on the replacement!..dont get me wrong..i love the sound look and fit of the pipe but after 100 miles and it craps out i do believe i am rightous in my belief that I should get another one...   is it just me?  ::)

Of course you should!! Have they said otherwise? If you're waiting I won't be getting mine anytime soon. :(

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11:34 pm
There are issues at the CMW warehouse also, not even the dealers can get parts it seems at least not in a timely manor.Not good if ya know what I mean.
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:21 pm
I have one and like the looks and sound. I think there was a slight improvement in throttle response. My first one also disintegrated internally but the second one seems to be holding up (so far). Wont do it a 3rd time if this one also goes, though.