Author Topic: Synthetic oil okay  (Read 3238 times)

squire

• Bulleteer
on: August 15, 2012, 09:35:28 pm
When I arrived home with my new Classic yesterday I checked the oil and had to add over one litre to bring it up into the glass. The only oil I had was a jug of Mobile1 15-50 synthetic. I subsequently had to add a bit more after taking another ride looking for leaks. I don't have any manuals yet and I'm curious about which would be the correct oil or if what I added would be okay. I thought I had an oil leak but when I read about the other fellow's thread who thought he had a leak but was told it was the chain throwing oil onto the cases it answered my question, his picture replicates exactly what I have. I guess my bike was just delivered with a minimal amount of oil. That's what I get for trusting the dealer and not checking it there. Thanks for any insight.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:15 pm
Synthetic works great and works well with the wide range of temperatures of the air-cooled engine and the hydraulic lifters.  Myself and a few others use the Mobil v-twin 20w-50 as it's designed for Harleys which share those characteristics above with the Enfield.  It's also a motorcycle oil which is made for use with the wet clutch.

Checking the oil level is a little tricky because there are quite a few nooks and crannies in the crankcase that trap oil giving low or high readings in the sight glass.  When checking, you should park it on a really level surface on the center-stand after it's good and hot and you havn't tipped the bike or cornered hard before parking it.

If you overfill the engine, oil will make it's way into the gearbox and when the airfilter becomes contaminated with oil if you're running with the stock paper element and once contaminated it can put more negative pressure in the airbox which sucks more oil out of the engine.  It's not really something to worry about too much, you know if you've put too much oil in- it will be making a big oil mess on the rear wheel and muffler.  If not, then you're good.

ADB

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:31 pm
There are quite a few people who use full synthetic on this forum, (assuming it's motorcycle oil), most of whom are much more knowledgeable about the differences/nuances of oils than I.
Here's a pretty lengthy discussion about the different oils people are using.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14430.msg153482.html#msg153482

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:00 pm
If you added a liter to the bike, I hope you overfilled it. A liter is half what the bike holds!
To check the oil, put the bike on the center stand after riding it to get it warm, then let it sit for a few minutes and see where the level is in the sight glass. It should be between the two lines on the sight glass. Note where it is and turn your bike 180 degrees and look at it again. If your floor is level it should be in the same place, but if you have any slope It will be higher or lower. It doesn't take much slope to make big changes. Just kinda average out the two sides.
As for the oil, Synthetic is OK as long as it's motorcycle. Do not put car oil in a bike, particularly an aircooled one. there are additives in car oils that you don't want in a bike. They will soon make your clutch slip and cause other nefarious deeds.
I use the Mobil 15-50 V-Twin oil, too It works fine and I get it for $10.00 a qt at Autozone.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:57:25 pm
Note where it is and turn your bike 180 degrees and look at it again.
You check you're oil with the bike upside-down?  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :P

Brad-C5

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:27 am
Error - posted to wrong thread...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:35:47 am by Brad-C5 »

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:56:51 am
Directly from our notebook from our RE class held by Scooterbob and Kevin Mahoney: use full synthetic 15w50, 20w50 motorcycle specific motor oil from day one. Period.
Some dealers are stone age, tightwads, or called in sick that day and give false info. The RE manual says otherwise, but from the horses mouth, we listen.
We were also taught that ANY oil in the sight glass was correct. Half way up like the book says will result in oil puke at higher cruising speeds.
Sorry other dealers give wrong information.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:00 pm
is 10-40 full syn too light.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:35:09 pm
For the small amount it takes to change oil, (less than 2 qts.) even if you have the 10w40, i would buy the corrrect 15/50, 20/50. Just my opinion.
If you look at Amsoil or Redline bottles, they have an asterisk saying that their oil will cover both 15/50 or 20/50 requirements. I'm sure that's true with most others.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:48:38 pm
ok..
thanks..i value your opinion.
Joe
08 dl650abs