Author Topic: what to pay for 2008 classic with AVL engine?  (Read 4465 times)

Roland

• Scooter
on: May 17, 2008, 07:42:37 pm
What can I expect to pay for a 2008 classic with AVL engine?  my dealers says he has to call and check because the dollar is so low he may have to charge me more.  Sound like BS.  after all, doesnt royal enfield have to stick by the price on their website?!
2008 classic AVL
1992 Harley Davidson FatBoy

LJRead

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:21:27 pm
Somehow, the dealer invoice from CMW might have been delayed, but having that, the dealer should know, based on his markup.  Sometimes, too, online prices can be out of date.  I believe however, that CMW is holding to their prices pretty well.  I would give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what price he gives.  He may just be protecting his own butt!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:56:24 pm
Who is your dealer?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:04:25 pm
Here is part of a post on another thread that covers this subject.

The prices on the web are MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price), by law we are not allowed to dictate what dealers can charge. Freight is a very real charge that the dealer pays on top of his price. It can vary between $150-$700 or so depending upon where they are located. The bikes are warehoused near Norfolk and they ship from there. So for example Vince and the guys on the West Coast get hit the worst. It gets more expensive every time we go online to get a quote with fuel prices what they are.

Set-up and prep are also very real costs as there is some set-up involved. A good dealer will spend a fair amount of time doing this.

I can't tell any of you what to do, but each dealer has his own pricing structure. The bikes are in demand and most dealers don't discount too much unless they have a old model on the floor or are trying to clear last years models. We have sold more bikes this year than ever before and will probably run short in a month until some more come in. Dealers have plenty on their floors, but my point is that I would be suspicious of deep discounts especially this time of year.

Lastly you can get the best price by showing up in person and demonstrating that you are serious about buying if you and the dealer can reach an agreement. Nothing wrong with shopping on the phone, but every dealer knows that he will never have a better customer than the one right in front of him in person.

We have been impacted by the sinking dollar, rising cost of steel, rising wages in India, rising fuel etc. We have done a very good job of keeping price changes to a minimum. We have sometimes been able to keep prices stable for several years in a row. We had some recent cost increases and we decided to "eat" them and not pass them along hoping to sell more units and make it up that way. So far so good. 2009 models will have to go up some, but we are not sure how much yet, hopefully it will be minimal.

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Roland

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:07:04 am
I am in Sarasota Florida,   I thought he may have a point considering he has to order the bike. he doesnt have a green classic AVL on the floor.
2008 classic AVL
1992 Harley Davidson FatBoy

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:56:39 am
I'm waiting on for a quote, from another dealer it will be mid week.Hes getting a new shipment and doesn't receive the shipping bill till the new bikes arrive.  I think the summer weather and the rising price of gas is making this a sellers market for bikes.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

uspickle

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 06:10:20 pm
I'm curious about the pricing as well. The MSRP for a 2008 Bullet Military is $5295. Add freight, document fees (if any) and tax and the bike could end up $6000 out-the-door. Is it reasonable to ask for the freight charge to be waived or significantly reduced? Same as the document fees, especially if no financing is involved.

I've also heard that dealers would much rather throw in some extras rather than lower the price of the bike. If this is true, what would be reasonable to ask for? A helmet, jacket, gloves, all of them, etc???

I know it's rude to ask how much things costs, but if anyone is willing to post their out-the-door price for their 2008 RE that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:48:31 pm
They're very reasonably priced as it is. If you've got a good dealer and will be using him, even if just for the first servicing, help keep him in business. If can't make any money on his investment he won't be there to help you out when he's needed. If your the type that just needs to get a cut in price then, I think the only reasonable thing to ask for is a labor free first service.

2pennys

Phil

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:00:09 pm
I know the dealer in Hudson, FL had an Electra, Military and a Bullet on the floor 2 weeks ago when I bought my Bullet.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:14 pm
It's like any major purchase, pay what you think is fair. If you and the dealer can't agree to what's fair, then keep looking.

I used to be a car salesman years ago. Eevrybodies favorite question was: "what's your best price". Since I got paid purely on commission this was like asking me what's the least amount amount of money I was willing to make.

If you believe you got a good deal then you did. You should be much more focused on the quality of the service you will receive than whether you should have gotten the bike for $500 less or gotten the dealer to throw in a couple free goodies.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:20:59 am
I have noticed a lot of similarities between the Enfield and Ural dealer networks, that being there are a small handful of great dealers, some mediocre, and some not so much.
Because of the rarity of dealers, unless you have one close you shouldn't worry about where the dealer is.
Let me explain this more fully: When i went to buy my Ural, the "closest" Ural dealer was over 2 hrs away, and a clown of the highest order. had I bought there, for service I would have had to trailer the bike 100 miles, drop it off, return some days (weeks) later to retreive it and bring it home. That's 400 miles of driving, not to mention losing 2 days drive time. At $4 a gallon, thats well over $100 in fuel. With the ability to order parts on the internet, I had my Ural shipped from Bellingham, WA to western NC, and it still came in cheaper than Bozo's cycle sales in SC.
IF you have a decent local dealer, support him. But my "local" RE dealer is an hour and a half away by car, further by RE. If that's your case, look for the best deal, factoring in shipping etc.
I know of at least 2 quality RE dealers (one is in FL) that sell the bikes otd for MSRP.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 09:12:09 am
OK, I'll be the first to quote an actual price: $5800 out the door for one of the very last iron engined '08 Bullet Deluxes. I would have paid $6000 OTD for the iron Bullet, but the dealer was willing to negotiate. I would not have purchased an AVL Bullet for more than $5700 OTD, but that's just me--some people don't care which engine they get. It was very important for me to get an iron Bullet.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:47 pm
My 2 closest dealers quoted me $5300 and $5180 otd for classic iron bullets (this was without tax, tag. )two others quoted me $4995. One more quoted me msrp + $125. One other was msrp+250, and one was $6100. Shop around.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:32:34 pm
$6200 otd for my '08 iron Bullet, with the windshield and a set of those god-awful metal panniers from CMW.  I felt it was a fair price, and I've got no regrets.......(well, maybe the panniers).

Did all my negotiations by phone.  During the process, I was also quoted $5700 otd for a new '07 Military from a different dealer.

bottom line:  its worth whatever you're willing to pay.
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 01:49:24 pm
$6200 otd for my '08 iron Bullet, with the windshield and a set of those god-awful metal panniers from CMW.  I felt it was a fair price, and I've got no regrets.......(well, maybe the panniers).

Did all my negotiations by phone.  During the process, I was also quoted $5700 otd for a new '07 Military from a different dealer.

bottom line:  its worth whatever you're willing to pay.

And it is worth paying a few extra bucks if the dealer is local and of quality. Support your local dealer.

But if you don't have a local dealer, it pays to shop around.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville