Author Topic: top tank rack photo's  (Read 15439 times)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:07 am
This is the last one I saw:
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:46 pm
that is very cool ......  I'd remove that front PTO & add a vertical slat grill, replace the engine with a late 90's JeeP straight six & drive the heck out of it.....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:44 pm
that is very cool ......  I'd remove that front PTO & add a vertical slat grill, replace the engine with a late 90's JeeP straight six & drive the heck out of it.....
Blasphemy!  I'll take you're engine with "PTO"  when you're done with it!

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 08:21:13 am
No you wouldn't.

That's a blower on the front.

It's a famous racing Bentley that went for  £5,041,500.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:32:46 am by Lwt Big Cheese »
May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
May contain nuts.

Roch48

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:31:52 am
Head's up with these. Mine fell off while riding, the suction cups can come loose from the vibrations.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:34:53 am
Bonnet?  These cars wear hats?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:03 am

That's a blower not a PTO.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 01:41:48 am
top tank rack. prior to fitting i locked all 4 bolts that are attached to the suction caps with blue tread locker and allowed several hours to dry.
next day followed by a generous amount of spit on all four caps i place the rack in position and pressed it down firmly.
following yesterday's  hagon shock test run - today i checked it out. it's still on very firm.actually very very firm - no movement at all. if you grab the rack in the centre and pull sideways you can see the tank move but the rack stay rock solid.
in other words held on extremely tight. as for the life Span of the suction caps that's a different story but for $70 and i paid $50 postage it's a good nostalgic look for a period style bike.
plus you can throw away your gps and buy a map :D

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:09 am
I saw one of these tank racks at the dealer with bungie cords around the gas cap and the rear tank bolt.  I guess that's not the standard mounting practice.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 07:57:40 am
Bonnet?  These cars wear hats?
Whereas a hood is a ...

hat!

:o
May contain nuts.

JoeSchmofo

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 01:45:51 pm
I know this is an old thread but I've always wanted to have a tank rack on my Bullet but I don't like anything that didn't have a practical purpose. Now I'm thinking that the suggestion of adding a belt round the tank might work.

So my question... those who have already got the suction tank rack...if you added a belt would it rub away at the paint on the tank?

Cheers and sorry for opening up an old thread.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 02:45:42 pm
When I got my bike it came with a rack.  The suction cups had a dab of RTV silicone beneath them.  I have since removed the rack altogether. I couldn't justify hanging anything on it.  The suction cups degraded fairly rapidly.  Now, to have bungs welded to the tank, that's the way to go.

2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:50 pm
I remember seeing these racks that came stock on the more sedate of the older Triumphs. Us youngsters thought they looked to utilitarian & not sporty enough, & didn't like them.
Then there's this: For years I saved the gas tank from the 305 Scrambler I center punched a car with in 1966. It had a perfect impression of my "boys" right where the accessory rack is located. Surely glad there were no RACK RODS involved to make a bad day worse.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 09:15:17 pm
I have used magnetic tank bags on several bikes. I have a really nice fairly new Cortech 14L tank bag I use on my Vulcan 750, but my experience with tank bags is that they will always damage the the paint. Not a problem with the Vulcan, as it is a daily rider and touring bike. But I want to keep the Enfield nice. That rack looks great, but it seems to be more for looks than use. Has anyone actually carried anything on one?
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson