Author Topic: Dynojet Power Commander  (Read 16486 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 07:22:05 pm
In vacuum you would need to drop it from about 101.9  meters to attain a speed of 100 mph as it hit the ground.
mgh=1/2 mxvxv (v squared or raised to the power of 2)......h=vxv/2x9.8...

But we dont live in vacuum, there will be a considerable drag and that will require additional distance travelled to attain the 'ton', sort of like running out of torque at wot in 5th gear.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:45 pm
.....................sort of like running out of torque at wot in 5th gear.

So, you are familiar with the UCE bike !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:10 am
Well, I know my C5's ready for something, I just don't know what yet. Piston kit, headwork, N2O?, lol. When I tear it down to remove all the extra bits from the frame I'll have time to send out or buy what I need for the engine to get a little more umph. I'm not looking for miracles, but hitting 100 would be pretty damn cool.
'11 C5 Military

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 11:00:11 am
Well, without a definitive answer or feedback on these units on the C5 or G5, I just ordered it and I'll give it a try. I'll post some updates once I fit it and see how it performs.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:59 pm
Well, I know my C5's ready for something, I just don't know what yet. Piston kit, headwork, N2O?, lol. When I tear it down to remove all the extra bits from the frame I'll have time to send out or buy what I need for the engine to get a little more umph. I'm not looking for miracles, but hitting 100 would be pretty damn cool.

Hitting 100 will be pretty close to a miracle, but I think it's possible.
It will need cams and headwork to do it, along with a likely need for some re-mapping of the ECU.
It will have to be about as strong as the Fireball to make the Ton.
This means we have to double the stock hp at the rear wheel.
That's not so easy.
It's a lot easier to say it, than it is to actually do it in the real world.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:00:00 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 06:35:20 pm

Amen!

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 08:18:10 pm
Hitting 100 will be pretty close to a miracle, but I think it's possible.
It will need cams and headwork to do it, along with a likely need for some re-mapping of the ECU.
It will have to be about as strong as the Fireball to make the Ton.
This means we have to double the stock hp at the rear wheel.
That's not so easy.

Sorry to weigh in late on this, but I just got back tonight from another extremely painful dyno run

The power commander only attaches to the injector and the TPS, you cannot change the rev limit, so any power gains must be made in the stock rev range.

My PCV unfortunately was probably put together at around 4:30 on a friday afternoon, as there is a major issue with the PCV reading the revs, and will randomly spike from 9000 to 12000 rpm while cruising at 3500, so I can't offer real world figures on gains yet.

However, The secret to making power on the UCE as far as I can see is the intake length.

I am currently running a straight through SS pipe with a restrictor right at the end of the tail pipe and a K&N filter. When the filter was mounted direct to the throttle body, using the stock ECU, I made 20RWHP, when I introduced two 45degree elbows and a 50mm pipe, the RWHP jumped to 24HP, Unfortunately I ran out of time, but from all accounts, an intake of similar length to stock, should provide even more.

Once I get the replacement PCV, I will do runs at both 50mm and stock length with the two elbows.

And ACE, I still believe the biggest hurdle in hitting the ton is the gearing, a 19 front sprocket isn't enough to get you there, and as you can't go bigger without some case surgery, or get a smaller rear sprocket, your only option is tyres or tyre and rim

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 08:54:06 pm
And ACE, I still believe the biggest hurdle in hitting the ton is the gearing, a 19 front sprocket isn't enough to get you there, and as you can't go bigger without some case surgery, or get a smaller rear sprocket, your only option is tyres or tyre and rim

Thank you for sharing your experiences. They´re very interesting to read and am looking forward to future tests.
However, if memory serves me right, a 19T sprocket catapults a Bullet beyond 100 miles at 5500 RPM, enough horses provided. Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:43 pm
Thanks for the info!
This will be an interesting project, and there are a variety of ways to do things.
The longer intake tube is interesting too, and that can be tuned to length.

All info is good info!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 09:23:58 pm
I found that MPG dropped 10% with a filter right on the thottle body.  It seems the MAP sensor is sensitive to turbulence and at least a short plenum smooths the flow.  I've seen one or two installs here with an elbow that mounted the air cleaner 180 degrees around and under the throttle body.

Scott

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 09:33:34 pm
S

I am currently running a straight through SS pipe with a restrictor right at the end of the tail pipe and a K&N filter. When the filter was mounted direct to the throttle body, using the stock ECU, I made 20RWHP, when I introduced two 45degree elbows and a 50mm pipe, the RWHP jumped to 24HP, Unfortunately I ran out of time, but from all accounts, an intake of similar length to stock, should provide even more.

Once I get the replacement PCV, I will do runs at both 50mm and stock length with the two elbows.

Thats a 20% increase . Pretty impressive.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:45 pm
I found that MPG dropped 10% with a filter right on the thottle body.  It seems the MAP sensor is sensitive to turbulence and at least a short plenum smooths the flow.  I've seen one or two installs here with an elbow that mounted the air cleaner 180 degrees around and under the throttle body.

Scott

Ideally, it would want a tuned pipe and a plenum, such as I did with the Ace Air Canister.

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 09:53:22 pm
Thats a 20% increase . Pretty impressive.
I was amazed myself, although it explains why the RE engineers stuffed the filter in the toolbox in the first place.

Slightly off topic, but I now have a very short window to get the new PCV fitted and tuned, as I will be moving countries (again) in a month and the new country (Qatar) isn't known for it's mechanics

Ideally, it would want a tuned pipe and a plenum, such as I did with the Ace Air Canister.
Ace, did you just eyeball the plenum, or did you bust out the calculator?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 09:56:58 pm

Absolutely, but lacking a dyno in my garage I'd probably just use the one in the seat of my pants and experiment with different lengths until power felt good and MPG wasn't shabby.

Power aside, the thing sounds awesome with an air cleaner right on the TB.  Nice little intake howl.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:42 pm
Ace, did you just eyeball the plenum, or did you bust out the calculator?

If it's Ace, is there a difference? ;)