Author Topic: Chain stretching?  (Read 3430 times)

coalburner50

• Neophyte
  • Purchased March 13, 2012 from Velocity Motorcycles
on: August 09, 2012, 06:33:30 am
so I have had my 2009 G5 since mid-March.  I am having an interesting problem.  After putting a little over 3500 miles on it (I commute 32 miles, one way to work). I am about to have the dealer put on the third chain due to a stretched chain.  Is anyone else having this problem?  The guys at Velocity in Richmond have been great about taking care of replacing the chain but this seems like excessive wear rate for a chain.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:01:13 am
Was the previous 2 new chains original Royal Enfield parts or were they aftermarket chains?

If they were OEM chains your lack of success with them doesn't surprise me.  If they were quality aftermarket chains like the #530 from Diamond, Tsubaki, D.I.D., EK or other similar companies  the only thing that comes to mind is a lack of lubrication.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:03:35 am
One alternative is to replace the front sprocket with an 18 tooth as this would then allow you fit a good O-ring chain.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:16 am
The stock chain is not good quality. Mine lasted around 4000 miles. Just buy something decent - i fitted an Iwis - and have done with it. The 18t front sprocket is a good idea whatever you fit.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:26:23 am
My stock chain died in 6500 miles with a fair amount of stretch and many frozen links.  My $35 DID brand replacement has already done 5000 miles and is just fine.

The stock chains just aren't that great.  Have your dealer replace it with a good, name brand chain.  If you go for a standard chain instead of an o-ring they are very inexpensive.

Scott

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:09 pm
The chain the bike came with stinks. If I knew then what i know now I would have tossed it for O-ring..

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:07:34 pm
Speaking of which.....
I've just been on phone to the Chain Man http://www.the-chain-man.co.uk/contact-me.html to ask how long I can go between lubes after boiling the chain in wax (long time). I mentioned I'd bought the W650 since last we spoke, and he suggested I ditch the O-ring next time I replace the chain and fit a good quality ordinary chain. He said you're far more likely to miss gearshifts with an O ring than with a non O Ring chain (he gave me a technical explanation about the speed the sprocket slows down when the clutch is pulled in).
Funnily enough, I do occasionally miss shifts on the Kwaka, but I never do on the Enfield. Never have.
He told me he himself has a 1200 Bandit which he runs with a non O Ring chain.

Food for thought.....?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:18:38 pm
3rd chain in 3000 miles ?  even the quality issues mentioned here don't account for that.

Do you perform your own maintenance ?  If not (yet) I'd recommend this is a great place to start.

Here's the deal......   the distance between the engine sprocket and the swing arm pivot point is significant on our bikes.  you need to run the chain "loose".

If the chain is tight, or, the rear wheel is misaligned your bike will eat chains.

Other common chain eaters are:

exposure to rain
exposure to sand & grit
lack of lubrication

On the lubrication front, I find every 500 ~ 1000 miles adequate. but my bullet lives a comfortable life....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:17 pm
Speaking of which.....
I've just been on phone to the Chain Man http://www.the-chain-man.co.uk/contact-me.html to ask how long I can go between lubes after boiling the chain in wax (long time).

Did he elaborate on "long time" Will? I arbitrarily decided on 1,000m intervals between removing and re-boiling and the chain has never shown any need for extra lubrication between. I don't think I'd increase the interval, just interested in his opinion. I've spoken to the guy myself a while back; I bet he said boiling wax was the best lubrication method, yes?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:11:15 pm
He wouldn't be too specific about intervals between re-doing, a lot depends on conditions of use of course, but he did say you could well get away with it for the life of the chain! Keep an eye on it, spin the wheel on the centre stand, and when you can hear the chain it's time to re-do it. On a bike with an easy life this could be never.
He emphasised that it's important to leave the chain in the wax for a good long time - it needs to be as hot as the wax and the wax needs to really penetrate right through. I told him I'd left mine in for about 20 minutes, which he thought was probably ok but minimum. Apparently if there's wax sticking to the outside when you take it out, it's not done.
I just wanted his opinion - he really does know everything about chains.
My rear wheel is as clean as a whistle now!
Interesting what he said about O Ring chains. Next chain on the W650 will be non O Ring and boiled in wax  ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:41:25 pm
I left my stock chain on for 6500 miles, I can't say it lasted that long, but I left it there that long. I lubed it every 200 miles and cleaned it every 1500  or so. It was total junk when I removed it after a great multitude of times readjusting it.
I went to the 18T and a Tsubaki O-ring chain. It may be the cause for an occasional miss of a downshift. The extra drag would do that and it may even cause  a slight reduction in performance and mileage. On the other hand, I haven't had to adjust it in 5000 miles, and if it's typical of the other O-ring chains I've owned, I can expect well over 25,000 miles out of it.
I guess I can blip the throttle on down shifts.
When it wears out, I'll consider a non-Oring chain.
I probably haven't boiled and waxed a chain since about 1963. Useta, though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:49:49 pm
I left my stock chain on for 6500 miles, I can't say it lasted that long, but I left it there that long.

Big +1 to that! :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 08:29:46 pm
I have my doubts about a O-ring chain causing any shifting problems due to a "slow down" of the sprockets.

Think about it.

The chain and the sprockets are mechanically linked together so if the sprockets slowed down, the rear wheel would have to also slow down along with the motorcycle.

I agree that the O-ring or X-ring chains will have slightly more resistance to being bent around the sprockets when compared with a standard chain as they are turning but,  when you figure this tiny drag against the amount of energy your 400 pound bike plus your 185+ pound butts have (585+ pounds) as they are moving along down the road I can't believe there is any real slowing down due to the slight increase in the chains drag.

In the short time it takes to shift from one gear to another any slowing down of the rear wheel would be such a small amount that it would be almost unmeasurable so I must conclude that any increase in missed gearshifts is solely due to operator error (or a badly adjusted clutch cable). :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:16 pm
I have my doubts about a O-ring chain causing any shifting problems due to a "slow down" of the sprockets.

Think about it.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 08:37:14 pm
Nevertheless  -  just passing it on for what it's worth....

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 10:06:35 pm
What, me err?
Crap, caught again! :(
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

coalburner50

• Neophyte
  • Purchased March 13, 2012 from Velocity Motorcycles
Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 03:49:27 am
Was the previous 2 new chains original Royal Enfield parts or were they aftermarket chains?

I assume they were OEM chains.  While the bike is a 2009, it was a "show" model for Velocity.  I bought it "new" from them in March of this year, so it still has the two year warranty in force.  I let them do all the work on the bike.  I am taking it in Friday so I will ask about putting on an aftermarket chain.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 04:14:42 am
I have 4000 miles on a standard DID chain and I haven't had to adjust it yet. I used Tri-flow for the first 2500 miles and switched to Pj chain lube after you guys got me paranoid about the Tri-flow.  The Pj stuff is weird. It's so thick that ropes form between the chain and sprocket when you first put it on.  I'm also paranoid about dirt sticking so I clean the chain with WD-40 before putting on new chain lube. I do that process every 700-1000 miles.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 07:03:16 am
I hadn't looked closely at the OEM chain that I removed from my motorcycle until now.

This chain required several adjustments before I had reached 2000 miles.
By the time I reached 3000 miles it was needing adjustment again and if I pushed on it sideways it moved a lot more than a good chain should.

Because of this I decided to replace it and because I have had good luck with a Diamond chain before, I found a dealer who sold them here in the USA.

The chain I got was a made in U.S.A. Diamond chain and I've been happy with it.

OK, so why am I mentioning this?
Because I just looked closely at my old OEM chain and stamped on the sides of the links is a horizontal diamond and the words "DIAMOND" under which is stamped "INDIA".

So, it would seem there are "Diamond" chains and there are "Diamond" chains.

It does tell me that Royal Enfield is trying to use quality products but it might also be worth the effort when buying a Diamond chain to ask where it was made.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:41 pm
He wouldn't be too specific about intervals between re-doing, a lot depends on conditions of use of course, but he did say you could well get away with it for the life of the chain! Keep an eye on it, spin the wheel on the centre stand, and when you can hear the chain it's time to re-do it. On a bike with an easy life this could be never.
He emphasised that it's important to leave the chain in the wax for a good long time - it needs to be as hot as the wax and the wax needs to really penetrate right through. I told him I'd left mine in for about 20 minutes, which he thought was probably ok but minimum. Apparently if there's wax sticking to the outside when you take it out, it's not done.
I just wanted his opinion - he really does know everything about chains.
My rear wheel is as clean as a whistle now!
Interesting what he said about O Ring chains. Next chain on the W650 will be non O Ring and boiled in wax  ;)

On the subject of 20 minutes minimum I reckon that's the shortest length of call you'll ever have when you telephone the Chain Man!  :) Seriously, that guy loves chains - it must be wonderful to have such a passion for the way you earn your living. I am very glad I asked you the question and thanks for the useful info. I have never even left the chain in the wax for 20m and it seems to work just fine so I look forward to the outcome next time.

As far as the standard chain goes I think I should claim an award for the 10k I got from the OEM. (On a G5, not the o ring version.) That was a stubborn labour of love, (of something anyway), lubricating every couple of hundred miles, cleaning in situ every 500 or so. The links would seize but a good scrub with paraffin would loosen them up again.  I wasn't using wax then, who knows what I might have achieved? Anyway, it's been a great relief to get a decent chain, boil in wax and forget about it. If I were starting over again I would junk the OEM from day one.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:33 pm
I'm having the same issue. I have about 3500 mi and just tightened up the chain. Within a day it was stretched again and skipping off the front sprocket here and there. I'm good'n greasy too. I think I'm smelling a chain failure in the works with mine.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 03:09:10 pm
I should ditch it before it ditches you. Nursing a crap chain is false economy. Same with tyres.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 03:17:15 pm
I may take one more stab at it to make sure I didnt just goof up adjusting it. I'm new to chains and have only done the adjustment once before this weekend. That said if it repeats this routine I'll park it and change the chain to something else. Is it hard to do?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 03:28:27 pm
It's easy to do, just remember not to pull the old chain off the front sprocket until you've used it to pull the new one through. And make sure to fit the spring clip the right way round.
My stock chain was so unevenly worn after only 4000 mles it was impossible to adjust. If I got one inch of play on one part, there was over two inches if I wound it further along.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 03:41:03 pm
i replaced my oem chain with a tsubaki o ring at 1000 miles.

i had a chain break(different bike) and wrap around the rear axel before and did not want that to happen again.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:42 pm
The problem with leaving the OEM chain on too long (which is about a week) is that it will take you sprockets with it. If it's jumping sprocket teeth, you may have waited too long! Get rid of it when it needs adjusting ever 200 miles or such. Actually, you should probably get rid of it before that. You're not doing your bike or wallet any favors!
Once again, the factories (all of them) put on the cheapest chain they can find. Many of them use good brand names, but the OEM chains are not going to be their quality products. Triumph uses Regina, who does make good chains, but it's not the one they sell as OEMs to Triumphs! The manufacturers work on the lowest possible bid process.
Always replace OEMs with a quality chain.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer