Author Topic: Repairing stripped gearbox oil filler hole  (Read 5206 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 07, 2012, 04:29:49 am
So, I stripped the gearbox oil filler hole almost as soon as I got my bike a few years ago. I've always been able to keep it hand-tight just enough to prevent gear oil from leaking out... until now.

Was treated to a nice little puddle at work today because the filler bolt doesn't really grab at all anymore.

Any repair suggestions? The case might be a bit thin there for helicoil, plus drilling in that spot is probably not a great idea.

Thanks,

Jeff

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:52 am
If you have an iron barrel that neck that the dipstick screws into also screws into the case. My parts book shows it as illustration key #14, part #140776. This is for a 2003 style. If you call CMW they will have the part # for the newer style like yours.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:17:24 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:09:11 pm
Give Chumma a call.
He has all sorts of ways to solve problems like that.
And if he has to, he can get it welded-up and re-threaded if you send it to him.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:34:25 pm
Thanks for these suggestions. I always love talking to Chumma but sending the cover for machining might be overkill. A cheap and quick fix seems OK to me here, since it's only a plug bolt that doesn't undergo much stress.

Anyone ever tried the Loctite or Permatex liquid thread repair kits that don't require drilling, tapping, or inserts?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/986916/loctite-form-a-thread-stripped-thread-repair-kit-48-ml

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/thread_repair/Permatex_Stripped_Thread_Repair.htm

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:12:17 pm
I never tried those kits, but they might work.
They are doing amazing things with polymers and epoxies these days.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:50 pm
If you try one of the liquid thread repair kits be sure the metal gearbox surface is absolutely oil/grease free so the material can bond to the metal.

Things like lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone and disk brake cleaner work well for this degreasing because they destroy the oil/grease.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09:00 pm
Things like lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone and disk brake cleaner work well for this degreasing because they destroy the oil/grease.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Good to know.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 04:19:17 am
Are you talking about the large filler plug in the tranny cover by the kicker, or the smaller drain plug?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:13 pm
The large filler plug. Turns out I already have a package of Permatex thread repair epoxy, so apparently I had intended to fix it once in the past.

Was going to do it a couple weeks ago but our carpenter showed up unexpectedly to finish a job, and then I had to prime and paint it.

Should get round to it this week.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 03:57:07 pm
I used the Permatex thread repair kit last night. Easy enough to do, and it seemed to work. I let everything cure for a few hours, topped off the gear oil, and put the bolt back on. It was tough to align but it screwed into place and stopped hard.

It seemed to be fixed, but this morning while the bike was warming up I noticed some space between the bolt and the gearbox cover. I used my hand to tighten it oh so gently and it met no resistance at all. Still totally stripped. Very strange.

Maybe I didn't degrease the mating surfaces well or use enough epoxy. I'll try it again tonight.

Anyone used the epoxy-based thread repair kits before?

Thanks,

Jeff

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:11:39 am
I think I finally fixed the damn filler bolt. The first time around I used a Permatex epoxy thread repair kit, which seemed to work at first, but the bolt was loose the following morning.

There's a gap between the threads and the flange of the bolt. It occurred to me that the metal washer that fits under the flange might not have been thick enough to keep the bolt from going in too far past threads and working itself loose. So I got a neoprene washer and cut the center wider to fit over the threads. It grabbed better but was still stripped.

This morning I degreased and cleaned the mating surfaces again, applied a lot more of the permatex, and inserted the bolt using the two washers. It seems to have worked this time. I showed my bike at a vintage rally this morning, and there was no oil puddle underneath it when I left. Nothing new on the garage floor, either, since I've been back. Bolt is still on tight. Fingers crossed.

Now on to that exhaust leak...

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:14:20 am by jdrouin »

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 04:09:20 am
Hi Jeff,

I voted for your bike in the Vintage Bike show today, I left about an hour after you did and they still hadn't announced the winner.  Oh well, there really wasn't anything to win anyway, just braggin rights.

Cheers,

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:30 pm
Thanks, Terry. It looked to me like that Moto Guzzi V7 Sport was going to win the people's choice. I wonder if Brookside Motorcycles will post the info on its website.

Good meeting you yesterday. Thanks for drawing my attention to the rally, which I otherwise would have missed. Maybe next year you'll be on one of your bikes.

Jeff