Author Topic: hagon twin shocks with 16kg/90lb springs  (Read 20896 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:29 pm
Slight correction Bare, they do have different shock bodies with different damping rates.  Each damping rate suits several springs.  And they have the adjustable damping models for $100 more.

Scott

Amsters

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:52 am
I have the 16 springs supposedly at 90/120 at the lowest setting. I weigh 115. I will be about 105 by this summer. They settle maybe a half inch with the bike, and not even that once I sit on it. For me, they are still quite hard, and if people who weigh 175 are happy with them, it shows how much weight I could carry in my saddle bags before it got comfy enough for me.

Thanks again guys..... 

Quick question for kammersangerin .....

So did you fit the 16kg springs to Hagons or the stock gas shock?

Has anyone played with the stock shock gas pressure or removed the large plastic cover on the top of the gas reservoir - I'm wondering if the oil could be changed for something thinner to reduce the damping rate.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:17 pm
Has anyone played with the stock shock gas pressure or removed the large plastic cover on the top of the gas reservoir - I'm wondering if the oil could be changed for something thinner to reduce the damping rate.

Why bother? Jack has a shaft break on his stock ones. they aren't much good from any angle. Did you try letting the air out? That might soften them up a bit.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm
You need some special tools to re-pressurize them.  IMO, totally not worth it.  They are cheap shocks and will never be that great.  You can maybe make them a little better but Hagons are around $200.  Someone else found another shock for $100 that was also good.  Don't polish a turd, you'll just get your hands dirty.

Scott

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 08:08:13 pm
Don't polish a turd, you'll just get your hands dirty.

Thank yu Scotty, a sage bit of advice in a highly entertaining way.

Amsters, I just bought the hagon shock whole and my neighbor slapped them in. It's too easy to waste your time on a pair of shocks that aren't that great. Maybe one day you'll buy a newer enfield, and you can just slap the stock ones back on when you sell. Or say the bike were totoaled in in accident but your Hagons survived, again, just swap before it goes to the scrap heap.

avandr

• Scooter
Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 09:04:22 pm
Hey wildbill, I'm in Melbourne could I ask what postage cost to Oz and part number of 16kg/90lb Hagons?
Thanks in advance

Amsters

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:59 pm
Don't polish a turd, you'll just get your hands dirty.

Scott

haha - very true.....    but sadly I can't stretch to the Hagons right now...

So I decided to have a go with the 'softer' springs that Hitchcocks have just
added to their 2013 catalog.....  They couldn't tell me what the spring rate was so they accepted that I would return them if they didn't suit.   Anyway they arrived today and I measured the spring rate, they're 13.5kg/cm (75lb/in). Sounded way too light for me (I'm 170lb) but I gave them a tryout over a very potholed trail - I found they seemed fine one notch up from softest, no more spine jarring except when riding out of some very deep square edged potholes and just under an inch of sag when I sit down. I guess the softness of these springs is offset by the heavy damping of the shock? They cost about £30 ($45) and are only available in black.  They'll do until I find another job then I'll follow you guys and get a set of Hagons with the 16kg springs.

Thanks for all the good advice guys - much appreciated.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 11:17:05 pm
Well a budget is a budget.  Maybe you're lucky and these are the same length as what you'll need for the Hagons.  They you can just buy the shock bodies and put them on.

Scott

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #53 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:10 am
Hey wildbill, I'm in Melbourne could I ask what postage cost to Oz and part number of 16kg/90lb Hagons?
Thanks in advance

In Oz you can get Hagons from Moose Racing at Euroa. I found Darrell very helpful and the delivery was quick to Melbourne. http://www.hagonshocksvictoria.websyte.com.au/

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 10:48:43 am
$300 posted

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #55 on: April 23, 2013, 03:22:14 pm
Sorry to bring this up again, but can anyone tell me the difference between Type A and Type P shocks? From here - http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

I want the Classic III shocks, with full shrouds (black upper, polished lower), #9 in class A and #6 in class P. Huge price difference. Why is this? They look exactly the same. Something to do with slimline etc?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:24:26 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #56 on: April 23, 2013, 03:35:28 pm
Sorry to bring this up again, but can anyone tell me the difference between Type A and Type P shocks? From here - http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/HAGON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

I want the Classic III shocks, with full shrouds (black upper, polished lower), #9 in class A and #6 in class P. Huge price difference. Why is this? They look exactly the same. Something to do with slimline etc?

On their page it explains:

HAGON TWIN SHOCKS are based on a common damping body, available in
BLACK PAINTED (Hagon "ROAD SHOCKS" Type A) or
POLISHED STAINLESS (Hagon "CUSTOM SHOCKS" Type P) finish-
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #57 on: April 23, 2013, 03:38:49 pm
So, what length(eye-to-eye) is everyone using for the C5?
Is getting a slightly shorter length doing anything to enhance the C5 stability at speed, or is there no difference noted?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #58 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:57 pm
Yup, I read that but couldn't get around the price going up by almost $100 just for being polished/custom?  :-\
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:06 am
So, what length(eye-to-eye) is everyone using for the C5?

320mm.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)