Author Topic: hagon twin shocks with 16kg/90lb springs  (Read 20923 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 06, 2012, 02:31:49 pm
hi all
anyone have the hagon twin shocks with the 16kg/90lb springs
i plan to get this set up to compensate for the rough country roads in my area.
weigh about 175 lbs but not too good in the back department so hoping these will do the job and help smooth out the ride
get a bit tired of lifting off the seat several times during the ride ???

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:13:44 pm
Don't go too light on the springs or they'll bottom out on big bumps which doesn't feel good for one's back. If you order from Dave Quinn you can specify the amount of damping as well. Just call him and tell him the effect you're looking for and he can help take some of the guesswork out of it. Custom spec'd shocks for $200 can't be beat.  I got heavy springs for loaded two-up touring and they're still easier on the back than the stock ones.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:27:45 pm
Bill,

The Hagons are a lot more responsive than the stockers to start with.  I think I got the 100# springs and I weight 225#, also with a bad back.  I think the lighter spring is a good idea for your weight.  I'd also say order from Dave Quinn.  If the springs aren't right they offer up to 2 swaps for no charge.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:25:53 pm by Ducati Scotty »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:23:01 am
Yup. Same problem here. The 18kg/100lb are way too hard on my back and I weigh about 175 as well. I have the 16kg/90lb spring coming from Dave Quinn soon. Maggie has been amazing. Absolutely wonderful customer service.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:26:34 am
just purchased the 16kg/90lb spring system
from dave quinn
springs arriving from the uk this week and hopefully posted out this friday to oz
not a bad round trip for them

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:55 am
I'd be very interested to hear how you guys get on with the lighter springs. I got my Hagons on monday and find them to be pretty harsh.
This thread prompted me to phone Hagon this morning to ask what weight springs they gave me, and it turns out they put 20kg springs on!
I told them my weight - 165lb - when I ordered, and the bloke I spoke to today agreed that 20kg might be a bit on the hard side. I suggested 16kg, but he seemed to think that might be going too light and suggested I drop one size to 18kg. Having read what you guys are saying, I'm not so sure. It seems to me that with the lighter springs I can wind them up a notch or two if they do bottom out. I only ever ride solo but I do like to hammer it a bit on the twisties.
Unfortunately Hagon are on the other side of the country, otherwise I could take them in and they'd change them while I wait.
I'm leaninmg towards the 16kg, but being advised to go for the 18kg.

And  -  What is the lbs number referring to in your posts?
Thanks
Will
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:15 pm
Lbs is an acronym for 'Long Before System' its an antique system of weight that the Americans use unlike the rest of the modern world that use the international standard of the metric system. I think the standard lb is the weight of a chicken at high noon or something like that.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:48 pm
Thanks Desi.
I know that lbs means pounds - but I don't know what it's referring to in the above posts. I mean - 16kg isn't equivalent to 90lb! 16kg = 35lb (approx).

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 02:30:03 pm
I can't figure out what their numbers refer to either, it should be some kind of spring rate but those are usually in kg/mm.  The shocks work so I stopped worrying and just :)

There are only three preload notches on the shocks, so even one notch is a pronounced difference.  I like my 18kg and I weigh 225#, I mean "lbs", but if that's what they recommend try it out.  If it doesn't work you can swap again.  It only takes a few seconds to swap the springs, and you can do it by hand, no tools required really.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 08:24:30 pm
I've just been out & about on some of the bumpier roads around here, and those 20kg Hagons are WAY too hard. Ouch, rock solid!
From what you're saying Scott, if the 18kg springs suit you at 225lb weight, I'm thinking the 16kg ought to be the better option for me, 60lb lighter - in spite of the Hagon man recommending the 18kg. I doubt they'd be soft enough to bottom out, and there's two notches of adjustment anyway. I was happy with the ride on the stockers, so really am looking for same but better, if you know what I mean..
I guess they'd change them again anyway if necessary, but it's shipping costs each time.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:59:09 pm
I don't know what springs are on my Hagans, but they work extremely well. They don't have any markings on them like the old Girlings. I told the Dave Quinn guys that I weighed about 185-190 suited up, and don't ride two up. What ever they sent me were right on. Looking at the weights you guys are talking about, I would ASSume these 18 pounders. I tried to call them, but they're not easy to get ahold of on Wednesdays.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 09:09:51 pm
Bill, the Hagons are more compliant than the stockers were, even with the 100# springs.  Why don't you order one set of shocks and extra springs?  Make a deal to return the springs you don't use.  With the shock off the bike you can change them in seconds by hand.

Bare, just send them an e-mail.  That way they can get to it when they get to it ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:08 pm
Yes I thought of that after I posted. I'll call them in the morning and see if they'll send me the springs so I can try out both sets and return the ones I don't like. Hopefully it's an easy DIY job. I've got the shocks with the partial top shroud; they look pretty much like the stockers but without the rust and the ugly plastic bottle glued on the back....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:09:32 pm
Just set to lowest preload, grab the shroud, and press down.  The spring should depress enough to remove the keeper washer on top.  Slide the old spring off, the new on, press down and slip the washer back in.  If it sounds odd it should make total sense once you see the shocks.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:59 pm
Thanks Scott. That makes sense. I didn't look that closely when I fitted them, other than to notice they look really well made. Hopefully the man at Hagon will see things my way and be willing to send the springs so I can change them myself.