Author Topic: Chuggy Performance  (Read 5390 times)

re:RE

• Scooter
on: August 05, 2012, 05:21:19 pm
OK... brand new bike... following the break in advice keeping the speed slow and varying speed and stoping for 15 - 20 minutes after every hour of riding.

First 100 or so miles it ran perfect then I parked it for a few hours.  Then for the next ten miles the bike was chuggy, surging and wouldn't stay running when in N.  That was last night, so I parked it for the evening. Starting out this morning, the first ten miles was again chuggy, stalling, etc.  Then it was fine again for the next 80 miles (the rest of the way home).

Any ideas?  Speck of something in the fuel line that is now burnt out of it?  Something else more alarming??? Any help would be greatly appriciated!
2012.5 (19" Wheel) C5 Desert Storm

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:24:23 pm
i would check the bolts holding on the pipe at the head...mine came loose and the bike ran funny...after tightening them it was fine....i check them often now.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:38 pm
Which model of RE are we discussing here.....?

Few things to check, spark plug connections, battery connection, you may want to raise the idle by a few 100 rpms (the idle screw is in a well, and if you turn it anticlockwise it raises the RPMs and clockwise lowers 'em). If this does not solve the issue, I will open the spark plug to see its not very sooty, if so replace with a NGK BPR6ES plug. Still not on the spot, take it to the dealer or at least talk to him...

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:01:41 pm

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:45:04 am
i would check the bolts holding on the pipe at the head...mine came loose and the bike ran funny...after tightening them it was fine....i check them often now.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:36:56 am
spark plug

mine was shot at about 400 miles
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:59 am
My 5 cent: check the connectors around the injection system, the battery and behind the headlamp. Sounds like a loose connection to me.
Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:15:33 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions... I tightened all the nuts and bolts yesterday, checked the connections everywhere and replaced the stock plug = NGK BR8ES with a NGK BPR7EIX... and today it ran fine.

Yes you read that right, the original plug from the factory was a NGK BR8ES!  :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:23:51 pm
BR?  Not BPR?  THe P is for projected, meaning the electrode projects farther into the combustion chamber, and that's been thought to be important.  I think 8 is a hotter plug, so it wouldn't foul as easily, but not being projected would change the flame front dynamics at ignition I believe.

Ace?

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:40:12 pm
With the NGK spark plugs, the Higher the number the Colder it is.
This is the reverse of several other companies where higher equals hotter.

For NGK Plugs
Low numbers = Hot
High numbers = Cold

For a nice little chart which compares several different brands of plugs and shows the cold/hot relation go to this link.

In the upper left hand side is a tiny chart that will open if you click on it.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Heat+Range+Interchange+%28NGK-Denso-Champion-Bosch%29&mfid=0
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:23 pm
replaced the stock plug = NGK BR8ES with a NGK BPR7EIX... and today it ran fine.

Yes you read that right, the original plug from the factory was a NGK BR8ES!  :)

There in lies a tale. A BR8ES is too cold for your bike. I guess it's a UCE since you just got it. The right plug is a BPR6ES, The EIX  might be OK, but still may be a tad cold. But the extra expense for the EIX is unnecessary
The plug that comes from the factory is a Bosch, so someone swapped yours out and didn't know what he was doing. The Bosch plug is known for it's unreliability. The wrong NGK isn't any better.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:57:43 pm
Arizoni, thanks for correcting me. ;)

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:52 am
Hmm... the spark plug issue makes sense... I wonder why someone would change it?  Yes UCE with 10 miles on the odm when I picked it up.

So 1 more thing I noticed today, that I did wrong the other day when it was chuggy... when I first turn the key the red check engine light comes on for a few seconds and I hear what I imagine is the fuel injector being primed.  Once that goes out, it starts and runs fine.  I think the other day I was trying to start it during that "warm up" phase.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 03:27:00 am
My guess is that's not factory.  Maybe the insulator broke and they swapped for what they had on the shelf.  Isn't that a common plug for the old bikes?

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:24:44 am
I know the factory in India has changed the Indian version of the 500cc fuel injected UCE's computer programming and it seems I remember someone saying something about them changing the spark plug when they reprogrammed the bikes computer.

It's possible that the RE factory is shipping the new models without the old crummy Bosch twin electrode plugs.

I would be interested to know from any of you who have the new 2012 C5 with the 19" front wheel and no offset in the front axle, what spark plug did they install on your new motorcycle?
It would only take a minute with a screw driver to pry the metal spark plug cap up off of the plug to see what is written on the ceramic insulator.
Knowing this might help us in the future when we hear of a problem with new UCE's here in the US.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary