Author Topic: Crankshafts  (Read 6739 times)

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 06:50:07 am
Cracked flywheel? UGH, I don't know, that might not be worth fixing. And the cracks being(of course ) right at the pin bore is pretty scary. I guess if there were no other parts available it would be worth a try. The bright side is your cases survived. Right?

The cases are dandy!!  I haven't punched out the outer main bearing races, but doesn't look like they spun on it or anything.
I think I will buy (from CMW), a new crankpin,  big end bush and floating bush, main bearings, pump drive and of course a couple of those worm drive/seal/quills.
Its probably unlikely, but perhaps the quill might have been slightly off-kilter to start with?  A bad part?
I'll machine a bushing, bore the original pin hole out .250 or so, press in the bushing, and maybe TIG tack it, then clean it up.  As clamp says, a lot of localized heat could put a kink in things;  and a lot of us would tend to over-engineer, and overweld. 
If I ruin it, it will become a tablecloth weight for the picnic table, or a candle holder, or a discus?