Author Topic: Electric start.  (Read 2442 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: May 17, 2008, 06:55:43 am
Ah yes. We are here again. I pretty much never use the e-start but tried it today because I have been wondering if it isn't a good idea to use it occasionally just to keep it operating. I don't know if this actually necessary but cannot hurt right. Lo and behold my starter is not doing anything. No noise no anything. Going to check my battery to rule that out but I ride almost everyday so I don't think that would be the problem. Any Ideas? I don't really need the starter but if ya got it, it is nice. Unless the clutch is destructing, that not nice.

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:43:57 pm
I had a similar puzzle.  It turned out I nudged the shifter and was not in neutral.
The starter won't work if it is not in N.  The owners manual also shows a clutch
switch but that is either not on my bike (08 BLB) or it doesn't work as I do not need
to have the clutch disenganged to start it.

Good luck. 

Jerry

deejay

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:33:58 am
Ah yes. We are here again. I pretty much never use the e-start but tried it today because I have been wondering if it isn't a good idea to use it occasionally just to keep it operating. I don't know if this actually necessary but cannot hurt right. Lo and behold my starter is not doing anything. No noise no anything. Going to check my battery to rule that out but I ride almost everyday so I don't think that would be the problem. Any Ideas? I don't really need the starter but if ya got it, it is nice. Unless the clutch is destructing, that not nice.

Sounds like a wiring issue (or neutral issue as stated before) if its doing nothing. I had a bad ground and my bike was doing all sorts of strange things. If the battery was low you'd get a little turnover, I know from experience.

Using the starter once a month or so is probably a good idea, maybe use it with the decompressor open? That way there's no chance of a misfire and damage to the sprag.

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:22:17 am
jonapplegate
That was the first thing that happened to my Bullet.  Starter would not make a sound.  I bought it at a dealer 110 miles away and tied it in the back of a pick up and carted it home.  To tie to the handlebars I disconnected the little [I think it was a three prong] connector that pluged into the clutch lever assembly.  After unloading the connector was pushed back on.  Didn't do it right.  Musta got it crooked..I recall it took more force than was reasonable.  Troubleshooting led me to locate the starter solinoid and the starter worked when jumped.  Then I woke up to the connector situation.  Pulled it back out and sure enough one pin was screwed up.  Fixed it and all is well.  Check that connector when you are checking other things.  I love that Bullet.  Have about 250 miles on it and everything is perfect.     
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:24:07 am
I use it periodically just for the hell of it. Usually when its hot and it doesn't need to do too much work. I ran a compression test the other day as well, sure is nice having an electric foot for that.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe