Author Topic: Spark plug problem  (Read 15760 times)

.577 Snider

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 07:39:44 pm
Hello again,
 Purchased this bike new in April and am up to 1369 miles now.  Fuel milage has not been as high as other forum members report, I have not gotten over 60mpg. And really that's great milage compared to the Jeep I drive. And my apologies for the numerical mix up on the sparkplug gapping, it is .028 thousands of an inch.
 I checked a couple of things last night as suggested. I removed the air filter and it is pretty clean, no crankcase oil smudging. The sidestand switch is connected at the sidestand but I found where the switch leads are unplugged from the wiring harness.
 The connectors are held together with a plastic tie strip, behind the battery box (came from the dealer like that). By the way , can anyone tell me what the empty green connector is for inside the electronics bay/tool box?
 So I cleaned the BPR6ES plug, rechecked the gap and reinstalled it. And I got about 6 blocks from my house and the engine started misfiring and then died. I coasted into a parking lot at a local bar.
 The patrons on the veranda were ribbing me about riding in on such a quiet bike (some Harley's in the parking lot). So, I went in and ordered a beer. Most of them liked the styling of my B5 and didn't know Royal Enfield was still around. Heard some bad things about English electric systems. More joking when I told them it was made in India. I found the NGK B5ES plug in my pocket when paying for another glass. I went out and changed plug and the engine  started right up. I drove over to the auto store where I had bought the BPR6ES two weeks ago. After telling them what had been happening, they exchanged for a new plug with no problem. They checked the gap, and set it for .70mm, they have metric tools. And as it was their closing time
they came out and had a look at the B5 while I changed the plug again. No problems on the ride back home. It was only about a mile. Engine ran smoothly.
 I will take a longer ride this evening and test it out.
I am hoping the problem was simply the one bad spark plug in that new box of NGK plugs.
 And when you ride a Royal Enfield , your always going to meet new friends.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 09:56:16 pm
The green connector is what you hook a ground wire to so the ECU will flash out the trouble codes.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

.577 Snider

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 05:20:02 pm
 Well, I took the B5 with the new BPR6ES plug out last evening for a test ride. Went about 50  miles up into the foothills and it worked out well. Smooth idle, good power and no missing or dying.
 So the first "6" plug was defective and not working right. Looked ok from the outside . But didn't work right.
 New plug solved the problem.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 08:46:02 pm
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5