Author Topic: High revving  (Read 2057 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: August 02, 2012, 10:54:25 pm
Hi again. Over the last couple of days I suspected that my G5 was idling higher than usual. Yesterday after getting back from work, turning up the driveway in first gear the engine started to rev to about half throttle, with the throttle closed. I stopped it in the shed and then started it again, same result with the engine revving constantly way above idle. As it was getting dark I quickly checked the throttle cable but could not see any problem. Any similar experiences or thoughts? The bike is an '09 G5 with just under 15000 kms on the clock. It had a full service and check over at 12000 kms. It has been running an indirum spark plug since about 5000 km if that makes any difference.

Regards

Hocko

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:15:11 am
I'm no expert, but you may want to look for a throttle body air leak. I usually use carb cleaner (or something that will ignite) and spray it around the throttle body in short bursts near any linkage holes or seal areas. If the RPMs go up, it's pulling air and leaking.
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:50:39 am
I've had this happen to me.... check the throttle cable.... With the engine off... open the throttle wide open. Then let it close. Start the engine again and see it the idle has dropped back to normal.

With mine, if I turn the handle full to the left, the throttle cable binds somewhere. It is not until I open the throttle a little that it unbinds itself... I suspect it is binding inside the throttle housing of the throttle mechanism of the handle.

Cheers
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:50:34 pm
As has been said, sounds like an air leak but could be the throttle body sticking. It's easy enough to look at the throttle body and see if the pulley goes through the full range of motion. With the bike off twist the grip and see if the pulley on the throttle body hits the stops or not.

Whoguy, I'd look at your cable routing. You'll want to fix that. I noticed that the cables like to bind around the headlight nacelle and frame and that by simply pulling the cables out or in from under the tank alleviates the binding.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:20 am
That's for the info guys. I went down th next morning and checked the cables etc. No problems noted, I did a quick spray of WD 40 over the cable ends and throttle body, started it and went for a couple of k's ride, sweet as a nut. Rode into work this morning, again ran like a bird both in town and on the Highway. Just another way of keeping us on our toes.

Kind Regards  ;D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:50 pm
Glad to hear it's working like it should.
Expect it to start acting up again fairly soon though.

WD40 tends to gum up after a bit because it really wasn't designed to be a luberication.  It was designed to drive water out of tight fitting areas.

All is not lost though.  There are a lot of light weight spray lubes on the market so buy one and spray it into the areas where you sprayed the WD40.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:57:58 pm
Get some DriSlide and lube all your cables with it.  It doesn't collect dirt and keeps the cables lubed for a long time.
My throttle cable started acting up today after over 11000 miles. I've gotta relube it. Probably do the clutch cable while I'm at it. I lubed them initially lubed when the bike was new. Less than 100 miles on it.
The cable lubing goes for all you guys with new bikes. It'll save you a lot of grief. Grease the ends while you're at it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:54:23 am
Is Drislide powdered graphite?
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 03:02:12 am
Dri-Slide is graphite suspended in alcohol.
It's great because it wicks where it's told, then the alcohol evaporates leaving that sweet graphite.
Oh, it's a little messy tho.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT