Author Topic: Noobie is shopping...  (Read 18736 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:41 pm
The owners manual says unleaded 87 RON or higher.  I use regular gas (alcohol free)but if it is not available ethanol 87 octane works fine, never used any fuel treatments.

Is that the US spec?  I assume it must be, based on your location.

The 2012 C5 India spec manual I downloaded says "use high-quality high-octane petrol (91 octane and above) for enhanced performance."  But that could mean any number of things...

I asked "my dealer" about needing 91 (which my current bike needs), and he said I could get away with using 89.  He also said, "Since the EFI system is closed from the atmosphere , it is less prone ethanol problems than the carb bikes."  But he always uses ethanol treatment.

No ethanol-free fuel available where I live, but there is a garage nearby that has "racing fuel" - supposedly 110 octane!  I have a buddy with an old Vincent, and he mixes the 110 and standard 91 to custom blend his own octane...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:55:42 pm by mattsz »

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 01:13:42 am
No need for ethanol free gas or treatment. Stock enfields have a relatively low compression ratio and regular unleaded works fine.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 01:57:09 am
UCE compression is only 8.5 to 1.  In my opinion premium fuel is not needed but it only costs another 50 cents or so to fill up so it doesn't really matter.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 04:40:39 am
Thanks guys!

No need for ethanol free gas or treatment. Stock enfields have a relatively low compression ratio and regular unleaded works fine.

I'm glad to hear about the "low test" gas, but my concern about the ethanol is different altogether.  The problem where I live with all ethanol all the time is that it's killing engines that weren't built for it, especially the small ones like lawnmowers, outboards, generators, etc.  The rubber in the fuel system components can't handle it, as I understand, and gas treatments are very important, especially for any engine that will be sitting unused for any length of time (some say even a week of disuse is enough.  Not sure why stationary ethanol gas will hurt a fuel system but moving ethanol gas won't, but that's another question for another time).

Do they add ethanol to their fuel in India?  Do they use ethanol-proof parts on bikes made in India?  Inquiring minds want to know!

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 05:50:42 am
There's 10% ethanol in all gasoline sold in California by law. I've had no problems at all in my enfield. The fuel injection seems to have less problems with pump gas and gas sitting in tanks because there's no fuel bowl float seats or small jets to clog.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 12:22:39 pm
Excellent!  I think I'm ready to take the plunge!  What could go wrong?!?

Oh, yeah.  The other bike sitting in my garage.  Sigh...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 07:06:00 pm
+1 Gas will not be much of an issue. Some complain about the ethanol. I don't like it, but it gets put in the bike every time with no issues. My spark plug has 11,000 miles on it and looks like it did at 1,000. I'm still averaging about 70 MPG.
As for the first service, it is 500 KM or 300 Miles.
Most things that go wrong with an Enfield are owner activated. I plead guilty to that one. I have had very few factory built, mostly loose things. Nothing has stopped me from getting home. Or even on road repairs. 
Bare
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:12:39 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 08:49:37 pm
I may be wrong but I know the computer system is Japanese and I'm pretty sure the injector and fuel pump also come from there.

The Japanese have been designing their fuel injected cars to deal with the alcohol in American gasoline so it's a logical thought ( I think) to assume the fuel related parts on the RE would be gasohol resistant too.

So far, I've heard of several fuel pumps giving up but no problems with the injectors. (fingers crossed).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 12:45:01 am
In Cali , we get a winter blend and a summer blend of something resembling gasoline. One is bad, the other is worse. Either way, we suggest 87 regular. Even in 110 degree heat, no pinging or knocking. Just the nice purt,purt,purt,purt...........
There are several methods octane is calculated. RON, MON, AKA, confusing.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:33 am
Ethanol blends have several issues in motorcycles but if your Enfield is your daily ride it should not be a huge issue.

The main problems relevant to bikes are:

- ethanol kills two stroke engines, the ethanol prevents the two stroke oil adhering to critical parts causing rapid engine wear. The bullet is not a two stroke so no worries here

- ethanol attack some rubber parts and certain seals in the fuel system, mainly an issue with older and classic or vintage bikes.

- ethanol fuel tends to separate into layers of fuel, water and ethanol if left sitting in the tank too long. It is much more prone to seperation than normal gas. This is not an issue for your "daily ride" but if your Enfield regularly sits in the shed unridden for longish periods add some fuel stabiliser.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 02:48:55 am
It will be my daily rider -

someday...

while the riding is good.  I'll have to store it at some point in the winter...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:14 pm
Been looking at photos...

The side stand seems to be rolled tubing, stamped into shape.  It looks just like the laundry hamper frame my mom got at the five-and-dime.

Is it as bad as it looks?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 01:47:28 pm
Been looking at photos...

The side stand seems to be rolled tubing, stamped into shape.  It looks just like the laundry hamper frame my mom got at the five-and-dime.

Is it as bad as it looks?

Nope, matter-of-fact it is excessively beefy (solid).  But, I never use it anyway.  I'm thinking about removing it.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 02:51:58 pm
Thanks Gremlin!

I must admit, between your tell-it-like-it-is replies and your self-imposed physical description (6'8" tall & fills interior doorways, I believe you said), I've been rather frightened of you! 

But I'm over it, now...  I think!  ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go all B5 on everybody, so I'm grateful for the subset support!!!  Mostly hands-off, "we got one here somewhere, sure we'll sell it to you -- whad-a-ya-mean what comes with the bike -- you want the first service after how many miles?" dealerships within a 5-hour radius of me, so I'm feeling like I really have to do my research...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 06:34:15 pm
Feel free to call bull*shit on me when I'm wrong .....   As I am in this case !

Just checked it during lunch .....   you are correct !  the sidestand is a squashed tube.

It still seems beefy enough to me.

Old age & senility ......  my #1 excuse.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5