Author Topic: Going to attempt a saddlesore 1000...  (Read 12889 times)

meganuke

• Scooter
on: July 30, 2012, 11:19:34 pm
I've got over 2000 miles on my black C5 (not bad for a little over a month) and I'm going to attempt a Saddlesore 1000.  My actual start day could be this coming Friday (8/3) if weather permits. Never heard of the saddlesore 1000? Google "iron butt association" and check it out. It's basically a 1000 mile ride in 24 hours. You need to document your ride with gas receipts, especially when you change directions. I'm planning to go from Cromwell, CT to Caribou, ME and back. That should be about 514 miles each way.

In preparation for this crazy task, I'm swapping the chain for a tsuboka o-ring type, putting a 19T sprocket on, and giving it a fresh oil change. I'll be going over all the nuts and bolts to check for any loose ones, which will be treated to some loctite.

Why am I doing this? Why not? Actually, I've always wanted to complete an Iron Butt Rally ever since I started riding 20 years ago. In order to get into the lottery for this bi-annual event, you have to be an IBA member. The minimum ride to become an IBA member is the Saddlesore 1000.  I plan to try some additional rides in preparation for the grueling 10 day, 12k mile ride of my life.

I plan to bring an extra spark plug, a small gas can, and some food and water. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to travel lightly. Any mechanical failure will simply mean that I don't get the certification this time. If at first you don't succeed...
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:28:21 pm
Good luck and have fun. I just did 550 miles in thirty six hours which doesn't even touch the saddlesore! I had a large tank bag with a soft sweatshirt stuffed into the top of it that was indespensible. I was able to lay down on it for a different riding position. The tucked in position also helps you maintain 65mph in hills or headwinds without over taxing the engine.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:32 pm
Having done several 400-500 mile days I'd recommend this: change the seat!  If you don't have time to change it maybe try one of those AirHawk inflatable seat covers.  I did Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA and back over 4 days, average of 400 miles per day on the stock seat.  Every day after the first hour my butt was killing me. 

I repadded my seat with very stiff closed cell foam used for kayak seats.  It's very stiff but I did a 500 mile day (10 hours or more) to Seattle back and only got sore for the last hour or so.

And a spare fuel bottle saves tons of time to get to the next gas station compared to calling AAA.  Ask me how I know ;)

Scott

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:07 am
Having grown up in the great state of Maine I would definitely suggest mapping out gas stops and verifying their hours of operation verbally.   If there is one thing I remember it is once north of Portland they roll up the streets at 8pm. 

A few (5 or so) years ago we were out at a family members camp in the sticks and the called one local gas station/sandwich shop to order some subs.  "Sorry, we are closing at 5 today.  Going into town to the movies,  its Saturday night ya know."  Good times.

I assume you have been up in that neck of the woods before.  And by woods I mean woods and poor dental plans...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:39:57 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:49 am
Earplugs, wet weather gear, energy drinks, sunglasses, torch, maps.

If it were me I would be fitting a flyscreen, even if it was removed after the trip. Massive reduction in fatigue.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:56 am

If it were me I would be fitting a flyscreen, even if it was removed after the trip. Massive reduction in fatigue.

Great advice, the bugs will be thick also.  Bring bug repellent in case you get a flat.   Those damn black fries can get so insanely thick.

http://www.damnyankee.com/page13/page14/page23/black_flies.html
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:06 am
I'm an EMT and my Significant Other is a Nurse, we both agree-Advil! Pre-medicate and continue to do so every 4 hours or as recommended. I highly recommend it , it'll alleviate some of the saddle sore..I did this on the 14 hour legs in a cross country tour, Montpelier, Vermont to Boise, Idaho, and it can honestly say, it works! (I did it in a car, however.)
I agree with the extra gas too, the further north in Maine you get the harder it is to find any. I make it a point to fill almost every time I get off to stretch.
Hopefully the ride you take runs you up the coast of Maine..so beautiful!

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:41:32 pm
Well, the sprocket was wrong. I will call nfieldgear today, but I'm not expecting to get it before the weekend. I got the k&n filter installed and did a fresh oil change. Looks like I'm going with the stock chain and gearing if it happens this weekend.

You've got me concerned about gas now. I've never been to Maine. Gas stops will be critical. I'm very open to suggested routes. I only picked Caribou because the distance was right and it didn't travel down the east coast. I don't want to deal with New York traffic, the NJ turnpike, toll roads, etc. Cleveland is a bit farther, but maybe a more populous route with gas readily available. Suggestions are welcome!
Cromwell, CT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:22 pm
Are you planning to do midnight to midnight or a noon to noon thing.   Midnight to midnight would put you in the sticks around the noon hour which would be good for stores being open.  Are you going to to 95 or take the back roads?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 02:23:50 pm
I was thinking of leaving around 3:00 or 4:00 AM. The ride should take 9-10 hours each way, so it should be around noon when I get there, and 9:00 or 10:00 PM when I get home. I'd love to take back roads, but I'll need to keep my average speed over 50 mph to do this in 20 hours, including stops. So it'll have to be super slab most or all the way.
Cromwell, CT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:52:38 pm
Up north of Portland things thin out a bit and you should be able to make good time.  During the summer the coastal routes in the southern part of the state (south of Portland) tend to have a lot of slow traffic so they might slow down your average MPH.   If you stay a bit inland (inland of 95) until around or after Freeport then hit the coast to Machias you should be able to keep a decent speed going and see some sights along the way.  A lot of winding roads and good riding.     
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:08 pm
We had a customer show up at the office one morning who had just finished one on an iron barrel. He was really out of it. I think you will do much better on a UCE
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:19:47 pm
Take some time to check traffic on your route.  Getting stuck in traffic would seriously suck and bring down average speeds and cut onto rest stop time. Making up for time stuck in traffic could get dangerous.  Google maps has fairly accurate run times for routes and you can click on real time traffic rates.  Check it during the times of days and weeks you would actually be on those routes. By the same token, though enfields are more enjoyable on curvy backroads, the interstate will be conducive to higher average speeds.  If you can maintain 65mph you get to stop to break more. More often shorter breaks is better than riding until exhausted and spending more time resting imho.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:50 am
I'm going to attempt a Saddlesore 1000.  ...........
I plan to bring an extra spark plug, a small gas can, and some food and water. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to travel lightly.

anti-psychotic medication.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 02:18:24 pm
LOL, riding is my anti-psychotic medication!

The weather looks ok, with just a slight chance of thunderstorms. If I'm feeling well, I will gas up and hit the road around 3:00 am on 8/4. I won't be posting from the road, but I'll update you when I return.
Cromwell, CT

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 02:57:22 pm

The weather looks ok, with just a slight chance of thunderstorms. If I'm feeling well, I will gas up and hit the road around 3:00 am on 8/4. I won't be posting from the road, but I'll update you when I return.

Best of luck to ya !
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:18 pm

have fun, be safe !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 03:28:29 pm
Bring tools for a chain adjustment.!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:34 pm
Good luck and ride safe.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:16 pm
good luck...i did it on  2002 triumph tiger.
bicycle shorts with the crotch padding, apples in your tank bag for snacks and a camel back will help.
along with an air hawk and some kind of throttle lock/cruise control
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 07:09:27 pm
I left at 3:30 am, returned at 11:30 pm after covering 1100 miles. I have quite a tale to tell, but I'm risking muscle compartment syndrome by typing this. My right hand is swollen and unusable from the vibration. I'll post more when I can.
Cromwell, CT

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 09:45:13 pm
Looking forward to hearing the tale.

I've had my eyes on a SS1000 for a bit now.  After a few adjustments to the bike I'm hoping to tackle the Hill Country of Texas this fall.

Any advice, insight, or wisdom you'd like to share would be great.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:37 pm
I can't wait to hear about it!  EPIC!  I hope your arm's not serious and that you recover quickly!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:09:49 am by jartist »

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 06:03:51 am
OK, the swelling has gone down enough that I'm able to finally type my tale.  This is my first attempt at linking photos on here, so bear with me if they don't show up right away.

I woke up on Saturday morning at 3:00 AM.  I put my gear on, grabbed a few frozen water bottles and snacks, and headed to the gas station around the corner.  The IBA uses the time/date stamp on the receipt as your official start time.  At 3:35 AM, I put in a little under a gallon to top off my tank.  With the odometer reading 2213.2 miles, I was off!

6:23 AM, 167 miles down, odometer reading 2380.1 miles.  Stopped for gas after bike made some weird coughs.  Fuel light never came on.  I realized I lost my wife's iPod reaching into my pocket for the EZPass a few miles back.  Oh well, I'll get her a better one when I get back.  She won't be surprised I lost it.  I have no idea how she puts up with me.  No more music for the remainder of the trip, though.  After filling up, the bike wouldn't start.  No lights, no hum from the fuel pump, nothing.  I checked the engine cutoff switch, jiggled the ignition key and tapped the battery.  The tapping of the battery made the lights flicker, so I took it apart to find this:

That explained the coughs.  I thought I was done.  I said at the beginning, if I had a mechanical failure I wasn't going to rush a repair.  I would simply try again another day.  I have AMA roadside assistance, but I don't think they tow over 100 miles.  If I was going to get it towed home, I would have to get it at least 67 miles closer to home.  So I busted out my leatherman, snipped off the end of the terminal lug, stripped back the insulation, and screwed it under the remainder of the lug still attached to the battery.  It seemed like a secure fix, and only took about 20 minutes.  I was still averaging over 50 mph with the repair, so I decided to keep going.

8:45 AM, about 290 miles in, stopped for gas in Gardiner, ME.  The bike was making a loud noise, like a lawnmower engine was running inside a metal drum.  Turns out the rear bolt holding the gas tank to the frame had vibrated loose.  The nut was gone, but I had the bolt.  Nothing resembling an auto parts store was in sight, so I held the tank off the engine with my left hand and my legs for the next 15 miles.

9:52 AM, 328 miles in, odometer reading 2541.9 miles.  I stopped to top off the tank again and eat some much needed breakfast.  I neglected to eat at my first stop due to the time lost fixing the battery cable.  Across the street from the gas station was an auto parts store.  I bought a nut and lock washer, reattached the tank and continued on.  I hoped that these mechanical failures wouldn't be a pattern.

12:02 PM, 461.1 miles down, odometer reading 2674.2 miles.  Stopped for gas in Island Fall, ME.  I should be close to the turnaround point now...

12:30 PM, I see a sign saying "last exit before Canada".  Border crossing was not on my planned route.  So I took the last U.S. exit, pulled out my phone and realized I missed my intended exit.  Only 4 miles out of the way.  I backtracked and got on to Route 1 in Houlton, ME.

2:03 PM, 552.6 miles in, odometer reading 2765.7 miles.  I finally reached my destination:  Caribou, ME.  I stopped at Lou's Service Station for gas and to get a witness to sign the form I brought with me, then got back on the road. 

I was hoping to be able to stop for an hour or so to eat and rest, but I was running almost 2 hours behind my anticipated schedule (18-20 hours is about average for a ride like this).  Any further mechanical issues could make me go beyond the 24 hour window.  This was the hardest part of the entire trip.  After 10.5 hours in the saddle, 550 miles, feeling pain in many parts of my body, I was only at the halfway point.  At this moment, I knew exactly what lay ahead of me.  Before now, the remainder of the journey was a mystery.  If I didn't reach the halfway point for whatever reason, I could turn around or get a hotel room.  But I reached Caribou.  Now every mile on the road was one mile closer to home.  Every minute spent resting after refueling the bike was another minute I would be away from the love of my life.  Giving up on the way to Caribou would be perfectly understandable.  If I gave up on the way home, I would be admitting defeat.  With a groan, I swung a stiff leg over the saddle, gave her a kick, and made for home.

4:09 PM, odometer reading 2881.4.  I stopped in Medway, ME for fuel.  I checked the gas tank bolt only to find that it was gone.  I wasn't worried about heat on the tank.  I was far more concerned with the vibrations.  The edge of the valve cover was in contact with the fuel pump.  I was afraid the tank would crack a weld or damage the pump.  Asking around for a hardware store proved fruitless, so I busted out the leatherman and made like McGyver.  I found a straight tree branch, whittled it down to size, and jammed it in.  It fit well, and kept the tank off the engine.  Back on the road!

5:36 PM, odometer reading 2973.3.  Stopped for gas in Newport, ME.  14 hours on the road, and I was still over 300 miles from home.  My right hand started to hurt about an hour ago.  Stick fix is holding up well.  Speed limits are 75 MPH up here, which is doable if you can draft a bit and catch a tailwind.  I've kept the throttle pinned for an hour or two at a time.  I have to give credit to RE for the engine.  It never missed a beat.  The rest of the bike seems to want to fall apart from the vibrations, though. 

7:33 PM, odometer reading 3076.0.  Made it to Cumberland, ME.  The stick fix failed about 20 miles ago.  I held it up with my left hand and knees again long enough to get here.  I found another stick, whittled it down, and replaced the first.  The bike seemed to have excessive vibrations where it previously didn't (60 mph and under), so I also replaced the spark plug.

9:36 PM, odometer reading 3216.3.  Stopped for fuel in Framingham, MA.  The bike ran better for about 40 miles.  It was noticably smoother, but then reverted back to the heavy vibrations.  I think I'll try a 7 plug instead of the 6 next time.  I missed the cutover via 495 to the Mass Pike (thanks Google maps for labeling it I290) so I continued down 95 to the Pike.  It's not too far out of the way, but at this point, I'm trying to use telekenesis to make the bike go faster.  I don't want any extra miles.  Holy crap on a cracker, I just want to be home.  Hot shower, a hug from my wife, food, and bed.  I'd pay anything for a Star Trek transporter right now.  The pain in my hand is pretty bad, and it seems like my glove is fitting tighter than it usually does.

About 5 minutes after leaving Framingham, the headlight goes out.  For those that haven't been on the Mass Pike at night, there are almost no street lights at all.  Zero illumination.  The only lights are near the rest stops, and I was miles away from the next one.  16 miles later, I reached the next rest area.  I dismantled the headlight, checked the connections, and reassembled it.  Nothing seemed wrong, so I gave it a good tap with the screwdriver handle.  The light came back on!  I packed up the tools, got back on, and thumbed the starter button.  The light immediately went out.  Tapping on it made it come on once or twice, but nothing would keep it on.  Screw it.  I'll follow someone's tail lights.  I'm too close to home to give up now.

After another 10-20 miles, I realized how fried my brain was.  I was trying to do the math in my head to figure my average speed, remember how much gas I put in at the last rest stop, etc. and it was like trying to hold a raw egg with a toothpick.  In a brief moment of clarity, I remembered I also had a high beam.  Click goes the switch, and I can see again!  Hallelujah!  I really need to get home.  Stick #2 failed but the stick is jammed in there so I can't replace it.  I'll have to hold the tank for the rest of the trip.

11:30 PM, 3312 miles on the odometer, Cromwell, CT.  I topped off the tank and got the almighty receipt which officially stops the clock.  After 20 hours and 1100 miles on a 27 HP bike, I was home.

My hands were very swollen from the vibration.  The next day, I went to an urgent care clinic to find out what was wrong and if anything could be done.  It wasn't too painful, but I couldn't really use my right hand for anything.

Don't mind my sexy legs in the background...

12 hours after getting home, at the walk in clinic:

Just extending my fingers made them go white:

The doctors were worried about compartment syndrome, but the blood circulation seemed good, so they didn't send me to the ER.  If anything changed, though, I was told to go straight to the hospital.  It's been 48 hours now, and the swelling is almost gone.

It's late, and I have to work in the morning.  I have more thoughts about the bike, the vibrations, and some odd handling characteristics.  I will share those tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:14:55 am by meganuke »
Cromwell, CT

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 06:52:57 am
Wow meganuke! Thank you for sharing your writeup. I read it out loud to my girlfriend and housemates and everyone was in the edge of their seats! You rock dude! I am not worthy!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 08:01:54 am
congratulation on that mammoth ride. very interesting and a feature packed review.
good to see the improvement with your hand. sounded a bit on the scary side
ride hard
regards

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 08:22:42 am
Wow, just wow. That is an impressive feat.
Note to self, on long distance rides get anti-vibration gloves.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:34 am
Excellent successful attempt at the saddlesore 1000 !!
Just goes on to prove that when you think you have covered
all bases, you have those parts fail you, which you never imagined
will ever let you down. But the to have list of parts must include the "engine to frame stay bracket with its nuts and bolts" as well as "battery lugs". These two parts seems to be failing fairly constantly on many bikes..............is RE listening ??

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 12:40:58 pm
I've often wondered about the effects of long distance riding on my right hand. As it is it gets pretty numb even if I stop every hour or so to rest my ass. Pretty scarey pix! Yikes. I was thinking of the lead shot in the handlebars method of dampening the vibrations. Anyone tried that yet?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 01:21:18 pm
Grip-puppy's or grab-on grip covers and a throttle lock have worked for my long distance work. The throttle lock is the most important part, allows you to take your hand right off and give it a rest. 

The extra vibration was from not having the head steady connected. That bolt on the rear of the tank is a must.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

Oddjon

• Scooter
  • 2012 Bullet G5 Deluxe
Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:25 pm
Congrats!  I hope you feel better soon.  Don't forget to take care of those worrisome bits on your bike too.
"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you will feel it's warmth."

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 07:36:06 pm
Things like the Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster help but if you're really going long haul some kind of throttle lock is a must.  Without it you always have to grip the bars hard enough to keep the throttle twisted.  it's not much but it adds up over 24 hours straight or more.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:13 pm
Great writeup, Meganuke. Thank you.
You have to ask, while doing that stuff, "Are we having fun, yet?"
I've had the rear tank nut come off on a long ride. While finishing the last 130 miles or so, I couldn't figure out where the vibration was coming from. But it was pretty bad at some speeds. I found the varying the speed could cut down on the shakes and noise!
After I got home I found the missing nut. It had dropped down onto the gearbox in one of those cavities on top of it. The really wierd thing was when I tightened the bolt back down I heard a little crack. It had split the tank right behind the bracket weld. easy fix, but a bit of a pain. I had to drain and purge the tank to get it welded.
Another pop I heard was even a bigger PITA. As I was torquing the tank, I heard a louder crack. That was the ratchet extension breaking off the fuel banjo tube. A little plastic POS that the fuel line slides onto. Cost me 300 bucks for that little screwup.
Glad to hear the body is recovering!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:48 pm
Congratulations on your success meganuke!

Thank you for the great write up too!   :)

After reading this I am going out to my bike to remove the nut from that bolt and give it a good coating of Loc-Tite!

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:49 pm
Congratulations, Br. meganuke! You not only suceeded in a saddlesore 1000, you suceeded in a saddlesore 1000 overecoming an awfull lot of trouble! Everyone may be able to ride a thousand miles, but retaining the tank with the knees is only for the elite! Very, very brave, your hand looked like a baloon!
Your experiences are very valuable for everyone undertaking long distant journeys on a Bullet. Thank you very much for sharing! Best regards
Maturin
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:35:42 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:04 am
congradulations on your saddlesore.
you make me feel like a wimp for doing it on a tiger.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 01:31:01 am
Congratulations Meganuke ! You are an inspiration and a true IRONMAN !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 03:49:01 am
What a tale and what an experience!  Just imagine how many times you'll be able to tell that story over a beer.

If you don't get into the Iron Butt Rally after all that, there's no justice in the world.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 04:02:38 am
Outstanding!
Wether for everyday use or long distance, those battery terminals have to go. Accell makes some fancy compression type eyelets that don't require crimping or soldering.
AGM or Gel battery is good for piece of mind too. A spare headlight and tail light bulb can be wrapped in foam and stashed in the air box or tool box.Please, everyone, loctite your tank thru bolts this weekend.
Last trick from back in the day. A regular old hose clamp can be put around the throttle grip and snugged down to give you a poor mans throttle lock. Ugly as a crap sandwich but works in a pinch.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 02:36:54 pm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341106

Caterpillar o-ring part number 8M4991.  Scroll down the above page and you'll see how to use it.  Put it in place, roll in on the end weight to lock, roll out to disengage.

Scott

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 02:51:14 pm
Thanks for all of your comments.  Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to you.  Work has been crazy.

The recovery hasn't been too bad.  I think I fared better than the bike.  My hands are back to normal and other than some general soreness in the obvious areas for the first day or so, I feel ready to do it again.  I ordered a 7" headlight and the bolt for the tank from my local dealer.  I'll stop at radio shack and grab a new lug to crimp on the negative lead.  I think it'll be back to 100% by next week.

I promised to share some thoughts on the bike, so here goes. 

1.  The front wheel seems to be unbalanced.  There is a definite shaking that occurs at certain speeds, mostly above 65 mph.  I can see the front wheel hopping up and down.  If memory serves, there are small weights that can be clamped on the spokes to balance the wheel.  I will look for a balancer and will gladly take recommendations if any of you have experience with a particular model (good or bad).

2.  There is a slight pulsation when applying the front brake, like it's slightly warped.  It's not too bad, but definitely noticable.  It was there before the ride and doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, so I'll probably live with it until it changes.  On the topic of brakes, I see some folks have put a stainless steel braided line on their bikes.  Where can I get this?  I find the front brake unbelievably weak.

3.  On a long ride, being able to change seating positions is key.  Sometimes I moved my feet to the passenger pegs.  Within a few seconds, this caused an oscillation in the bike, like the front end wanted to go one way and the rear end wanted to go the opposite.  It felt like riding a high speed snake.  This happened at speeds as low as 60 mph.  I also tried extending my legs and resting my calves against the front of the driver's pegs.  This also caused a wobble.  Even the standard seating position caused a wobble, but only over 70 mph.  I found that shifting my weight way back (sitting half on the passenger seat and half on the driver's seat) would keep the bike stable.  The speed limits on a large part of the ride were 75 mph, so traffic was going 80-85.  I had to catch a draft just to keep up with the slow cars.  I wonder if the unbalanced front wheel has something to do with it, or if I should look into a fork brace or steering damper.  It almost felt like the frame was flexing.  I've felt that on other bikes, but mostly when hitting a bump mid-corner.  On my old Honda ST1100, the common fix for the 45 mph wobble was to replace the stock ball bearing in the steering stem to a tapered roller bearing.  Is this behavior common on these bikes, or is there something wrong with mine?  It is a C5 Special with the straight fork legs.  Could different tire pressures help?

That's about all I've got for now.  I look forward to hearing your feedback.
Cromwell, CT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 03:07:37 pm
You can have stainless brake lines made up custom.  A few years ago I had a set made for a KZ650 from an Ebay seller, just sent him a note with the measurments and end specs.  The key is to measure well and figure out what type of bend is in the banjo ends and order the correct setup.  The price was not that bad on the custom lines.

Check your fluid level on the front brake.  A lot of folks seem to get short changed from the factory from what I read on the forum.  (I would flush it with known good fluid, but that is just me).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:10:00 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:06 pm
i felt the wobble with the feet on the passenger pegs on a 2009 bonneville i had.
for balancing, i would take the front wheel to a good shop and also have them check the spokes to make sure the wheel is true.

glad to hear you are doing well and the bike performed good also.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 06:02:52 pm
What tire pressures are you running?

As to the brakes, get a green 3M ScotchBrite pad and some brake cleaner and scrube the crap out of the disc.  Then remove the brake pads and scuff them lightly to break the glaze on 220 grit paper on a glass plate.  Sometimes the disc gets an uneven layer of brake material laid down and it feels just like the disc is warped.  I've used this technique and it works miracles sometimes.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 07:25:14 pm
  The front wheel seems to be unbalanced.  There is a definite shaking that occurs at certain speeds, mostly above 65 mph.  I can see the front wheel hopping up and down.  If memory serves, there are small weights that can be clamped on the spokes to balance the wheel.  I will look for a balancer and will gladly take recommendations if any of you have experience with a particular model (good or bad).

You can get wheel balancing weights at and Auto parts stores. They just stick onto the rim. You can get a fairly close balance just spinning thetire on the axle. Make sure nothing is dragging. For the front wheel it's better to remove the brake caliper and speedo cable.
Spin the wheel so if it appears to stop at the same spot. Rotate it slightly and see if it returns to that spot. If so, add a little weight to the opposite side.
For the rear wheel, back off the brake adjuster. If you have a crappy chain, disconnect it. Then the same procedure works.
It's not perfect, but it can come pretty close.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:16 pm
I haven't had a reason to mess with my G5's wheel balance but on my old Honda 400F I used a length of solid core 50/50 solder wrapped around the spokes as wheel weights.

This solder wasn't the tiny stuff used for delicate soldering.  The wire was about 1/8 inch in diameter so a 4 inch long piece of it had some weight to it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:52 pm
Meganuke,
Congrats on a great ride and a super writeup.  FYI AMA roadside assistance is only good for 35 miles, after that you pay.  What the heck! it's free with membership/auto-renewal.
This little gadget works very well for a throttle lock, http://www.aerostich.com/go-cruisetm-throttleontrol-1.html and along with a throttle rocker of your choice will help on long hauls.
Now get your ride certified, that Iron Butt sticker on your RE will look great.  I don't think the guy that Kevin spoke of early in this string ever certified his ride.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:35 pm
I didn´t see any steel brake lines in the Nfield-catalogue, so I´m allowed to recommend Hitchcock´s:
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-brakes, scroll down to part no.92881. It fits very well, I had no trouble installing it.
As you said your brake doesn´t works well I also recommend a change of brake fluid - if memory serves me well, either DOT4 or 3. My G5 is able to do stoppies with that kind of tuning  ;D
If your front wheel is bouncing it may also be that your fork oil isn´t suitable, either quality or quantity - or both. The C5´s fork is known to be quite annoying to work on, but someone who´s able to ride a thousand miles will change the oil with no sweat. For me you are Superman  ;D
Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:29 pm
Wow!! that is a great feat you have accomplished, especially with all the troubles along the way!!...Congratulations!!
Glad that you are feeling better.

I have had the battery terminal break off on the C5, seems like a common issue. I will have to check the tank bolt this weekend make it is tight and apply Loctite. RE needs to take note of these and improve on them.

Congratulations again! I hope you had a good celebration/party :-)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:18:46 am by eda1bulletc5 »
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 01:06:46 am
Not to hijack the thread but some time back I noticed that the red positive battery terminal on my G5 had eaten its way thru the vinyl cover that covers the battery and the red rubber cap so that the metal part was rubbing on the inside of my left hand side cover.

By rotating that battery connector so it is going towards the front of the bike rather than towards the inside of the side cover seems to have fixed the problem for now.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 03:18:38 am
It should have been installed that way: terminals to the inside, positive forward.  That keeps the positive terminal away from potential grounds.

Scott

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:06 am
Not to hijack the thread but some time back I noticed that the red positive battery terminal on my G5 had eaten its way thru the vinyl cover that covers the battery and the red rubber cap so that the metal part was rubbing on the inside of my left hand side cover.

Like Scotty said, all the G5s and Electra's that I've seen had the terminals facing the inside for just that reason.
1972 FLH "Sambo"

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 06:07:23 pm
I'm running around 20 psi in the front tire and 30 psi in the rear.  I might try the Hagon shocks next, followed by a rebuild of the front forks.
Cromwell, CT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 06:16:44 pm
I run 18# front and 24# rear, I weigh 225#.  I can run my bike to 85mph and take my hands off the bars, even with the stock shocks.  Make sure the steering stem and swingarm are tight, your rear tire is properly aligned, and try 18/24.  See if that makes it more stable.

Oh, and do you have a windshield?

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:10 pm
I run 18# front and 24# rear, I weigh 225#.  I can run my bike to 85mph and take my hands off the bars, even with the stock shocks. 
Scott

That is easily one of the best balanced bike in Business, and one good rider at that...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 07:38:57 pm
Trust me, I'm not that good ;)

I think almost all C5s can be made stable with proper setup.  If you do proper setup and it still wobbles you have a real problem, but there are few of those.  Given all the problems we see here due to mediocre assembly would you bet on bad assembly or bad design?  If it were poor design then they'd all wobble, and they don't.

Scott

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:55 pm
congradulations on your saddlesore.
you make me feel like a wimp for doing it on a tiger.

You both make *me* feel wimpy for doing a BBG1500 on a GoldWing.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:14 pm
After reading this I am going out to my bike to remove the nut from that bolt and give it a good coating of Loc-Tite!

I'm gonna have my housekeeper (who is also a H-D rider) replace that nut on Fiona with a Nylock version.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:10 pm
I agree with nyloc nuts on all critical components...uhhh all components!! Never be to sure when something may decide to escape.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: August 17, 2012, 12:31:59 am
I think there is a local shop that will make custom stainless braided brake lines, so I'll try to stop by next week and have one made up.  Anyone else want one?  I don't know if I can get a break on the price, but I'd consider making up 5 or 10 if folks are interested.
Cromwell, CT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:53 am
Or you could have em made up and sell them on fleabay for a profit.  Don't forget to make a margin on shipping and handling as well.   8)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

rav

• Scooter
Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:31 am
I think there is a local shop that will make custom stainless braided brake lines, so I'll try to stop by next week and have one made up.  Anyone else want one?  I don't know if I can get a break on the price, but I'd consider making up 5 or 10 if folks are interested.
I would be interested if the price is right ;)