Author Topic: Going to attempt a saddlesore 1000...  (Read 12883 times)

meganuke

• Scooter
on: July 30, 2012, 11:19:34 pm
I've got over 2000 miles on my black C5 (not bad for a little over a month) and I'm going to attempt a Saddlesore 1000.  My actual start day could be this coming Friday (8/3) if weather permits. Never heard of the saddlesore 1000? Google "iron butt association" and check it out. It's basically a 1000 mile ride in 24 hours. You need to document your ride with gas receipts, especially when you change directions. I'm planning to go from Cromwell, CT to Caribou, ME and back. That should be about 514 miles each way.

In preparation for this crazy task, I'm swapping the chain for a tsuboka o-ring type, putting a 19T sprocket on, and giving it a fresh oil change. I'll be going over all the nuts and bolts to check for any loose ones, which will be treated to some loctite.

Why am I doing this? Why not? Actually, I've always wanted to complete an Iron Butt Rally ever since I started riding 20 years ago. In order to get into the lottery for this bi-annual event, you have to be an IBA member. The minimum ride to become an IBA member is the Saddlesore 1000.  I plan to try some additional rides in preparation for the grueling 10 day, 12k mile ride of my life.

I plan to bring an extra spark plug, a small gas can, and some food and water. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to travel lightly. Any mechanical failure will simply mean that I don't get the certification this time. If at first you don't succeed...
Cromwell, CT
SaddleSore 1000 completed on a C5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:28:21 pm
Good luck and have fun. I just did 550 miles in thirty six hours which doesn't even touch the saddlesore! I had a large tank bag with a soft sweatshirt stuffed into the top of it that was indespensible. I was able to lay down on it for a different riding position. The tucked in position also helps you maintain 65mph in hills or headwinds without over taxing the engine.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:32 pm
Having done several 400-500 mile days I'd recommend this: change the seat!  If you don't have time to change it maybe try one of those AirHawk inflatable seat covers.  I did Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA and back over 4 days, average of 400 miles per day on the stock seat.  Every day after the first hour my butt was killing me. 

I repadded my seat with very stiff closed cell foam used for kayak seats.  It's very stiff but I did a 500 mile day (10 hours or more) to Seattle back and only got sore for the last hour or so.

And a spare fuel bottle saves tons of time to get to the next gas station compared to calling AAA.  Ask me how I know ;)

Scott

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:07 am
Having grown up in the great state of Maine I would definitely suggest mapping out gas stops and verifying their hours of operation verbally.   If there is one thing I remember it is once north of Portland they roll up the streets at 8pm. 

A few (5 or so) years ago we were out at a family members camp in the sticks and the called one local gas station/sandwich shop to order some subs.  "Sorry, we are closing at 5 today.  Going into town to the movies,  its Saturday night ya know."  Good times.

I assume you have been up in that neck of the woods before.  And by woods I mean woods and poor dental plans...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:39:57 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:49 am
Earplugs, wet weather gear, energy drinks, sunglasses, torch, maps.

If it were me I would be fitting a flyscreen, even if it was removed after the trip. Massive reduction in fatigue.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:56 am

If it were me I would be fitting a flyscreen, even if it was removed after the trip. Massive reduction in fatigue.

Great advice, the bugs will be thick also.  Bring bug repellent in case you get a flat.   Those damn black fries can get so insanely thick.

http://www.damnyankee.com/page13/page14/page23/black_flies.html
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:06 am
I'm an EMT and my Significant Other is a Nurse, we both agree-Advil! Pre-medicate and continue to do so every 4 hours or as recommended. I highly recommend it , it'll alleviate some of the saddle sore..I did this on the 14 hour legs in a cross country tour, Montpelier, Vermont to Boise, Idaho, and it can honestly say, it works! (I did it in a car, however.)
I agree with the extra gas too, the further north in Maine you get the harder it is to find any. I make it a point to fill almost every time I get off to stretch.
Hopefully the ride you take runs you up the coast of Maine..so beautiful!

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:41:32 pm
Well, the sprocket was wrong. I will call nfieldgear today, but I'm not expecting to get it before the weekend. I got the k&n filter installed and did a fresh oil change. Looks like I'm going with the stock chain and gearing if it happens this weekend.

You've got me concerned about gas now. I've never been to Maine. Gas stops will be critical. I'm very open to suggested routes. I only picked Caribou because the distance was right and it didn't travel down the east coast. I don't want to deal with New York traffic, the NJ turnpike, toll roads, etc. Cleveland is a bit farther, but maybe a more populous route with gas readily available. Suggestions are welcome!
Cromwell, CT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:22 pm
Are you planning to do midnight to midnight or a noon to noon thing.   Midnight to midnight would put you in the sticks around the noon hour which would be good for stores being open.  Are you going to to 95 or take the back roads?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 02:23:50 pm
I was thinking of leaving around 3:00 or 4:00 AM. The ride should take 9-10 hours each way, so it should be around noon when I get there, and 9:00 or 10:00 PM when I get home. I'd love to take back roads, but I'll need to keep my average speed over 50 mph to do this in 20 hours, including stops. So it'll have to be super slab most or all the way.
Cromwell, CT

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:52:38 pm
Up north of Portland things thin out a bit and you should be able to make good time.  During the summer the coastal routes in the southern part of the state (south of Portland) tend to have a lot of slow traffic so they might slow down your average MPH.   If you stay a bit inland (inland of 95) until around or after Freeport then hit the coast to Machias you should be able to keep a decent speed going and see some sights along the way.  A lot of winding roads and good riding.     
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:03:08 pm
We had a customer show up at the office one morning who had just finished one on an iron barrel. He was really out of it. I think you will do much better on a UCE
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:19:47 pm
Take some time to check traffic on your route.  Getting stuck in traffic would seriously suck and bring down average speeds and cut onto rest stop time. Making up for time stuck in traffic could get dangerous.  Google maps has fairly accurate run times for routes and you can click on real time traffic rates.  Check it during the times of days and weeks you would actually be on those routes. By the same token, though enfields are more enjoyable on curvy backroads, the interstate will be conducive to higher average speeds.  If you can maintain 65mph you get to stop to break more. More often shorter breaks is better than riding until exhausted and spending more time resting imho.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:50 am
I'm going to attempt a Saddlesore 1000.  ...........
I plan to bring an extra spark plug, a small gas can, and some food and water. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want to travel lightly.

anti-psychotic medication.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

meganuke

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 02:18:24 pm
LOL, riding is my anti-psychotic medication!

The weather looks ok, with just a slight chance of thunderstorms. If I'm feeling well, I will gas up and hit the road around 3:00 am on 8/4. I won't be posting from the road, but I'll update you when I return.
Cromwell, CT