Author Topic: iron barrel primary cast to engine seal  (Read 2423 times)

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
on: July 29, 2012, 05:40:32 pm
So this is my third time to try to stop a leak from the primary case at the gasket that mates it to the engine.

The previous times I used the enfield gasket with permatex "super high tack gasket sealant".  This stuff is old but it seems to stick well enough because it tore parts of the gasket in half when I took the case off again.

I keep having failures around the studs so this time I removed the studs so that I could scrape around them better.  I also suspect that some of the transmission oil I use in the primary may have contaminated the areas around the studs when I was assembling it last time.  This time I'm cleaning with turpentine and I'm going to wait a bit to make sure no other drips come down from the main seal.

So now I'm wondering what else I might try to be successful.  I see lots of people touting Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone gasket maker and it has me wondering if I should use  it instead of the gasket sealant or perhaps instead of even using another enfield gasket.

Any opinions out there?

Jeff

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:44:48 am
I would suggest a Three Bond product. Maybe TB1133E.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:15 pm
I have successfully used RTV in that location.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:44:36 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

I went to investigate the extra gasket that I thought I'd bought the last time but apparently I had already used it.  Rather endure what was likely to be another back order situation I just went ahead with Ultimate Black and it seems to be working lots better than the previous attempts.

Unfortunately, I've only had enough time to start it and turn it off again real quick.  Hopefully I'll get a ride in this week.  Dang.. I need to retire :(

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:49:31 am
the Permatex Ultra Black will work fine. No gasket needed.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:48 pm
Apologies for jumping on your thread, jmiller, but I've also had a nice drip for a few years that I've just lived with. Figured I was just marking my territory. New gasket didn't help.

the Permatex Ultra Black will work fine. No gasket needed.

No gasket needed? So just around the rim, around the bolts, press on and I imagine wipe of the excess?  What about if you ever need to get in there again? I imagine maybe a little "persuasion" and then razor off old stuff?

Thanks.  Hopefully an "on topic" hijacking.
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:33 pm
Follow the instructions. You do not tighten the screws completely initially. You let it setup for an hour before tightening all the way.
Gives a mush better seal.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com