Author Topic: new knee for 2013  (Read 1766 times)

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 23, 2012, 12:40:38 am
Well i went into the hospital on December 3rd and had a total knee replacement. Everything is going real smoothly. The physical therapy is a little eye opening but I can notice progress after each session. Has anybody else out there done this and if so how long did it take you to get back on the bike?Did you do anything to get ready to ride again? I probably won't even attempt to ride until April because of the weather but I want to be ready to go when ther time comes. Any advice is appreciated
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:40:19 pm
Good timing Tony.  Get it back in shape over Winter. 

Never had it done but I've heard a similar story with the knee replacements that I had with the fractured ankle.  It'll be slow going at first and seem like it's never going to be in good shape again... and then one day, it will be.

The more dedicated you are to the therapy + recovery process now, the better you'll be in the long run.

Take it easy, keep an even keel, and good luck.

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:40:58 pm
It proBABLY VARIES, however, a fellow at my office was back panning for gold in northern NV after about three months.  It included walking 2 miles, squatting into the stream etc.  if I remember correctly, he had the knee repaired in Phoenix area somewhere.  Good luck.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:08:57 am
A guy in the BSA club had it done and two weeks after the surgery he was riding and had been riding every weekend since he had it done! He went back to the doctor an the doctor was amazed about how fast he'd been recovering. He didn't tell him how he was recovering, though.
Nothing like a motorcycle to get you over your ills. He rides a BSA so no thumb start on that one!
They sure have speeded up my recovery time a lot of times! The doctor certainly won't recommend this, but I'd say start riding as soon as you can swing a leg over the bike! If it were me, I would!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:37 pm
The post-op therapy is a pain in the butt though. Here they want you to show full flexing of the new knee joint through its range before they give the sign off on you from the physio department. They use a angle device and keep you flexing over a few weeks until you can show that the swelling and scar tissue are under control. I wont kid you, you'll want to beat the therapist with something as it isn't pleasant. unless the therapist has big hooters.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:55:15 pm
I hear Redcat likes big hooters.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:06:54 pm
Happy 'Big' hooters to you Redcat. And a speedy recovery !

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:41:31 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I am afraid my Physical therapist is an exMarine so no hooters. But he knows how to push you to your limit and I can feel improvement after each session. I was amazed by your friend,Bare, who was back on his Bike after Two weeks. That sure ain't me. ERC, I might stop by this week for a tattoo, I was thinkin of a zipper on my knee over the scar. Thanks all and Happy New Year
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:10:19 am
Sounds good to me I'll be ready right after my hand stops shaking.  ::)  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:18 am
happy healing.. I need a total bone transplant ... ;D