Author Topic: Royal Enfield Enters into strategic $ 50 million Joint Venture with Polaris  (Read 5206 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Kind of vague on the "new products"...are they new motorcycle products or sports related stuff or what?

AwL

• Scooter
Interesting that a Polaris dealer in western Washington state is now a Royal Enfield dealer too.  Wonder if the joint venture will result in more Enfield dealers and access to service and parts in US?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
I hope REM doesn't get any styling hints from Victory.
Some of the bikes they make are about as hideous as it can get.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

motorat

• Grease Monkey
i hope this expands the dealer network.
the polaris/victory dealer near me is great, it would be nice to see them as a RE dealer
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
I agree on the dealer network...it currently barely functions.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
reads like an expansion business, not a threat to CMW's network.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
UCE watercraft!  Snowmobiles with "thump"!  The Royal Enfield 8-Ball, Jackpot, and Vegas models!  I love it!

Seriously, I'd love to see Enfields sold through Polaris and have parts available there too.  I hope they would still allow smaller dealers to carry them but it'd be nice if RE could piggyback Polaris' dealer network.

Scott

busmec

• Scooter
Could there be liquid cooled v-twin bullets on the way? Harley Davidson is putting a plant in India. It makes you kind of wonder.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Well, I thinks this might have a bit to do with it.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/744/10925/Motorcycle-Article/First-Pics-of-Polaris-2012-Indian-Chief-Released.aspx

Fill in the line with a re-badged 500 and possibly a parallel twin for the younger crowd. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
I guess we'll see if we get a v-twin Bullet now. I just hope Polaris don't make it look cheesy like their current line of bikes.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Very interesting.
We'll see what develops.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
After reading the release I think this is mainly a joint venture to sell Polaris machines in India.

With India's import policies it is just about mandatory that some manufacturing plant is set up in India to produce any of the Polaris's products.

It would be good to have more Royal Enfield dealers in the US and to have the Polaris dealers get involved could increase the number.
That said, Kevin has the control of the RE dealers here in the US and is the sole importer so I'm sure that any Polaris dealers that want to sell the RE's will have to deal thru him.
I'm sure he wouldn't mind. :)

As for Polaris's input into a new RE design I wouldn't hold my breath.
The RE engineers and management know their motorcycles have a deep traditional heritage to live up to and they are proud of their "vintage" bikes.
The idea of building huge (ugly) V-twins or water cooled engines would probably get a Boo-Ha-Ha in the RE management meeting rooms that could be heard in London.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
The dealer I bought my Bullet opened up his shop for Victories immediately after I signed the contract. His showroom changed a lot. But a couple of mounth later I had to recognize, that the huge difference in possible earnings startet to reflect on his service. The maintenace was carries out sloppy, but whenever I entered the shop two new salesmen were busy with talking to elderly gentlemen who were interested in big-vies.
I doubt if it´s smart to sell both brand together in one shop, it´s like selling and maintaining Porsche and Dacia side by side. Why should a salesmen or mechanic care about a Bullet when he could earn three times the money selling or modifying a Victory? A hierachie between customes is practically bound to appear, in fact at the expence of RE-customers who will be treated second rate.
I know that getting more dealers is quite high on the RE-to-do-list on all export markets, but why, of all things, mixing with a premium-brand? I hope they just wish to buy some know-how. Best regards
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
My local dealer was a Victory dealer before he got Royal Enfield. That was late last year. Very little competition between them. They are sold in different buildings. the Enfields are sold with the Triumphs, although, they too, have different rooms.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
My dealer also sells Moto Guzzi but seems enthusiastic about both.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Royal Enfield V-Twin?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
By Jove!  It's a Royal Enfield Model K from the 1930's and it's in a totally restored condition!

What a neat machine! :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Move over Brough Superior, I have a new dream bike!

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Move over Brough Superior, I have a new dream bike!

JARTIST your statement may have come in a hurry, because while the Brough Superiors were know to hit the Ton (100MPH) with ease and without your hands on the handle bar (such was the balance of the chassis of this mobike) little is known about capabilities of the Model K

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
JARTIST your statement may have come in a hurry, because while the Brough Superiors were know to hit the Ton (100MPH) with ease and without your hands on the handle bar (such was the balance of the chassis of this mobike) little is known about capabilities of the Model K

Well it came standard with a 4 speed sidecar ratio gearbox if that gives you any idea what the K model was actually built by Enfield to do. 

If you were very eccentric you could order one with a gearbox more suited to a solo bike but apparently demand was not high for the solo version.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Why oh why can't we get a dedicated RE dealer, that stocks parts? I'm so tired of the dealer with one or 2 bikes on display, and the same pain in the ass parts network that we have. I realize low overhead  (or the lack of it) is a cost saving measure but what the f*** good is a bike that is down for WEEKS because of lack of availability of quick delivery on parts. I've been waiting for a month for an exhaust gasket and sprockets. I'm starting to feel I need to overstock wear items myself. Maybe I'LL sell em...
The one of many things Jap bike manufacturers have right is service and parts. There is no excuse for a manufacturer who has been in the business as long as RE to be this sloppy. Maybe it's accepted practice in India, but it's a sure death here.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Why oh why can't we get a dedicated RE dealer, that stocks parts? I'm so tired of the dealer with one or 2 bikes on display, and the same pain in the ass parts network that we have. I realize low overhead  (or the lack of it) is a cost saving measure but what the f*** good is a bike that is down for WEEKS because of lack of availability of quick delivery on parts. I've been waiting for a month for an exhaust gasket and sprockets. I'm starting to feel I need to overstock wear items myself. Maybe I'LL sell em...
The one of many things Jap bike manufacturers have right is service and parts. There is no excuse for a manufacturer who has been in the business as long as RE to be this sloppy. Maybe it's accepted practice in India, but it's a sure death here.

I think you'll find that many RE owners keep a supply of commonly used parts at home.
The Iron Barrel Bullet owners certainly do. Sometimes we even carry the spares with us.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe

This is just the reality of it.
There's no way an RE dealer can stock parts like a dealer of Japanese motorcycles.
It's not a fair comparison.
Most of us were aware that we are 'buying into' something different.
And I, for one, feel the advantages out-weigh the disadvantages.

As Ace says, most of us stock our own supply of those items we need (whether routinely, occasionally, or even rarely).

There are also other ways to get some of those parts more expeditiously - like online ordering. For crying out loud, I've ordered a couple real real hard to find items straight from India - and wasn't waiting for weeks!

Kevin has been helpful with many of us - as we've gotten to the point of blowing our cork with the parts-order-issue for whatever reason. And believe me, many of us have gone through it too. An email or an appropriate forum post can help.

Hang in there.

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Hell, Jap bike retailers don't even stock parts...even common maintenance items..like air filters!  I had to buy a K and N from Amazon and got it faster than the Honda guy could..

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
My RE/Triumph dealer says Triumph parts are harder to get now than RE.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
I guess we'll see if we get a v-twin Bullet now. I just hope Polaris don't make it look cheesy like their current line of bikes.

+1
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
I would like to point out that while a pain it might be worth your time to make a few phone calls to other dealers.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Just poking my nose in here. It took Triumph four months to replace my defective saddlebags. Honda took a week to replace my daughter's muffler clamp. Nobody compares to Kevin and the gang.