Author Topic: Speedometer Problems  (Read 3025 times)

Chalega Walla

• Scooter
on: July 26, 2012, 02:07:59 am
I have a 2011 classic and I am looking for help reference my speedometer cable.  On the drive home from the dealer after 20 km my speedometer stuck at 80 km.  After a trip back to the dealer they changed the gauge and on the way home 25km it stuck again.  So back to the shop this time they changed the gear on the front wheel.  After 500km the cable broke so another trip to the shop for a new cable but it only lasted 20 km and it broke as well.  It is going back to the shop but I am not sure what else they can change ?? possibly the front wheel?  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:06 am
In my opinion, if the speedometer stuck at "80 km/hr" and the needle wouldn't return to zero the speedometer was defective.

When they changed the drive gears and cable did they lubricate them both with a light weight grease?  If they just assembled them dry they could rapidly fail because these parts aren't very robust.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:43:55 pm
Sounds like a hard bend in the cable.  It is possibly routed wrong.
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:33:17 am
In my opinion, if the speedometer stuck at "80 km/hr" and the needle wouldn't return to zero the speedometer was defective.

I'd go for the bad speedo, too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Chalega Walla

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:30:12 am
Thanks for the suggestions, But I forgot to mention that after it stuck at 80km I unscrewed the cable from the wheel and it went back to zero then worked for a few km and stuck again but would reset itself after I unscrew the cable from the wheel.  Finally it just stopped working.  Well it is heading to the shop tomorrow so I hope they can figure it out.