Author Topic: Classic British WAX COTTON MOTORCYCLE JACKETS only $94.  (Read 7669 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 04:35:50 am
Seems the majority of outlets carrying Kakadu are western and equestrian wear stores.
To get mine quicker I ordered it from the east coast.  :o

There's all kind of western clothing stores here in Denver.  Maybe I should look into these jackets around town here.   ???

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 05:08:37 am
There are good quality European-made waxed cotton motorcycle jackets  available for £140, see:

http://www.chequeredflags.co.uk/deluxe-traditional-wax-cotton-motorcycle-jacket-p-109.html

I have seen cheaper ones advertised, but a lighter weight of cotton is used, and they may not be lined.

I nearly went for one but in the end opted for a Barbour International, with the union jack lining (stars & stripes lining also available). A £279 it wasn't cheap, but I measured the life of my previous waxed cotton jackets in decades rather than years. The equivalent Belstaff jacket is around £550. In my view, Belstaff have priced themselves out of the market. Mostly now they are bought by fashionistas, with sales boosted by movie product placement (for instance Will Smith wore one in 'I am Legend'). It is a shame because originally Bellstaff (like Barbour) were designed to do a job of work. These days in my home town you are more likely to see one worn in a shopping mall, then on a guy or girl riding a motorbike.

A refreshing thing about all these jackets is the absence of Velcro - They use industrial strength zips, buckles and poppers.  They also tend to look better with age.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 09:40:18 pm
Dear Blairio & Others, I have 2 Kakadu Nelson Jackets, The first I bought 12 years ago, & it is still going strong. I had a chance to score a second just a few years ago. The second newer one Has Lots of Velcro, which isn't as nice as copper/brass snaps, it is also a lighter weight cotton. None of the Kakadus has Plaid Flannel lining which I miss, just cotton with printed Australia map or Kangaroos. When I pointed out the $94. Jacket, I realized it is a Barbour/Belstaff Knockoff, Probably lighter cotton(the originals were offered in Heavy or Light Cotton) The Jacket looks well made & even has the angled left "pistol pocket" it is probably made in one of the many small industries in the UK that produce quality garments.  I was VERY surprised to find any British Wax Cotton at such a low price-cheaper even than Kakadu, & certainly the originals which are now priced out of my reach.  ANY WAX COTTON IS BETTER THAN NONE! You may quote me.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 02:30:25 am
Hey Craig (and others) !
 You might be glad to know the current Kakadu Nelsons have gone back to snaps and corduroy collar lining.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 03:21:32 am
A search for kakadu waxed cotton motorcycle jackets in amazon UK threw up:

http://www.sterlingleather.com/kakadu-7082-4j42kakadunelsonjacket.html?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=4J42%20Kakadu%20Nelson&utm_campaign=amazon

These do look good, and at 110 pounds sterling they are a bargain take on the Trialmaster type of jacket. It would be great to see one up close, however Kakadu don't seem to have a uk outlet.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:29 am
Hi Blairio, Looked at that link. That is the very same jacket as my late model one-I'm not real happy with it;  It is much thinner, lighter cotton with a different, (if any) waterproofing-sure aint WAX. The lower Pockets, front Placket, & Neck fastening are all VELCRO. It's a decent looking jacket, to wear around town, but doesn't compare with the older original Kakadu Nelson, heavy stiff Waxed Jacket, with all copper plate snaps.  NONE of the Kakadu jackets have a buckle & grommet neck fastening, My old one has 2 D-rings to thread the strap through, that is very difficult to do. Much rather have a buckle. I don't see why everybody is knocking the British Made, faithful repro of the original jackets I pointed out. is it because they are affordable? look at the pictures-they are Better than the new Kakadu.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:58:18 am
A search for kakadu waxed cotton motorcycle jackets in amazon UK threw up:

http://www.sterlingleather.com/kakadu-7082-4j42kakadunelsonjacket.html?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=4J42%20Kakadu%20Nelson&utm_campaign=amazon

These do look good, and at 110 pounds sterling they are a bargain take on the Trialmaster type of jacket. It would be great to see one up close, however Kakadu don't seem to have a uk outlet.

Hi Blairio,

The pic is not entirely accurate. What it shows is the now outdated version of the Nelson that I have.

The current version has reverted to snaps/poppers and corduroy lining the collar instead of leather.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:56 am
WISH I COULD SEND MINE IN FOR A RETRO-FIT. RATHER HAVE ALL SNAPS & HATE THE CLAMMY LEATHER COLAR LINER.