Author Topic: Tioga pass, California rally?  (Read 6425 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:44:27 pm
The trip was a success!  We covered 550 miles, two-up, in 36 hours. What wonderful roads and sights! We took Patterson pass road from Livermore to the valley and a back road through orchards and farms across the San Joaquin valley.  Then Tioga pass to Lee Vining where we camped overnight. After the summit of Tioga we went off on a dirt road to Saddlebag lake which was above 10,000 feet.  The next day we had a proper breakfast at a greasy spoon in town and then past mono lake to Bridgeport and then Sanora pass on the way home. The only mishap was that I got a wasp sting on my ear which swelled up considerably.

The enfield did great two-up on the freeway at 65mph though we had to go into a full tuck up the hill and headwind over the Altimont pass on the way home. For the most part I kept the throttle at 2/3 or less and it didn't feel like the engine was over taxed.  There was much downshifting on the passes at close to 10,000 feet but the Enfield still had enough torque that it never felt anemic even handling the load of the two of us plus gear at about 400lbs.  Taking a 500cc single with the two of us added to the feeling of adventure and we attracted a crowd of other motorcyclists at every stop.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:04:26 am by jartist »

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:22 am
Glad all went well !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 12:42:24 am
Cool ride. Sounds like it was fun.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 07:51:12 pm
Bulletman asked me for a longer write-up including routes so I thought I would post it here for the archive:  I took hwy 17 from Scotts Valley to 280S/680N over the Sunol grade to hwy 84 which goes to Livermore from 680.  In Livermore I took Wetmore rd to Arroyo rd to Concannon Blvd to Tesla Rd.  I took a left on Tesla to Greenville Rd. and then a right onto Patterson pass Rd.  Patterson pass Rd. is really worth it.  If you live in Northern California ride out there and check out the view of the San Joaquin valley with the windmills!  Patterson pass rd takes you to 580 where I went south to Vernalis Rd. across the valley to Modesto.  Vernalis Rd basically turns into Yosemite blvd (hwy 132) that goes up to Yosemite joining up with hwy 120.  Turn off before you get to the Yosemite valley staying on 120 following the sign to the town of Lee Vining.  Whatever you do, don't go to the Yosemite valley in the middle of summer unless you like crowds and traffic!

There is a dirt road called Saddlebag lake Rd. that goes to Saddlebag lake that is worth checking out as well as a neat little campground at Saddlebag lake.  The road takes you above 10,000 feet which is worth it for bragging rites but it's not difficult or anything, it's a really well groomed road.  I would have camped there but it was full.  We went instead back on Tioga pass toward Lee Vining and stayed at the national parks Lee Vining campground.  That was full too but we lucked out in getting the last spot by a fluke.  We were there a month ago and the place was deserted but it's the full swing of summer now.

On the way back we went to Lee Vining and had breakfast.  Lee Vining is a nothing town but it overlooking Mono Lake which is cool.  We took hwy 395 North to Bridgeport and then left on Sanora pass (hwy 108) which is just as nice as Tioga pass if not better for nice curvy rd.  Another thing to see between Lee Vining and Bridgeport is Bodie ghost town.  It's a cool state park at an abandoned gold milling town.  You can take a dirt road that I've been told is in bad shape off of 395 past Mono Lake to Bodie and then another dirt road to Bridgeport.  I havn't been on those roads but they sounds fun.

Another thing to note is that there are a lot of dirt roads and off-road recreation to be had on the back side of Sanora pass and you can camp anywhere among those hills.  Tioga pass, being closer to Yosemite was more regulated for wilderness camping and the dirt roads were fenced off.

After Sanora pass I rejoined with 120 in the valley past the town of Sanora and stayed on the major freeways because my wasp sting kept swelling and itching and spreading.  I usually take Benadryl to prevent my reaction but I didn't want it to make me drowsy for the ride home so there was a push to get home so that I could medicate.

On a future trip to the area I would like to go back to Sanora pass to explore and camp on the dirt roads there.  I kept passing the trail-heads and they were calling me but I only had to get back to work the next day  >:(

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:13 pm
 Great writeup Jartist ! I wish I could have been with you two !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 06:53:03 pm
Thats just wonderful. Could you share a close up picture of the handlebars. Are they generic clubmans , and how well do they clear the tank.
Thanks.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 02:51:44 am
The clubmans are from Bulletwalla off ebay.  They are welded at the bend and seem to be holding up pretty well. I was looking for bars that had no rise or drop that put my hands farther forward to get the weight off my sore tailbone but no too much weight on my wrists.  Flat clubmans were the only bars that fit the bill and these were the only ones I was able to find.  They work fine without rear sets but without the drop it's not really a sporty position.  I'm not crazy about the angular look of clubmans but the ergonomics are perfect for me anyway.  If I ever come across some conventional bars that reach forward without much rise and have just a little pullback I'd still be tempted to try them.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 08:30:22 pm
Thanks for the pics. They look good to me too. Do they clear the tank ?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:29 pm
Some bars I had on my bike before the cafe bars. these were extremely comfortable with the stock footpegs. I got them because I wanted more tank clearance than the stock bars offered. If I were to go away from the cafe setup, these are the bars I would use. they are essentially the same bend and length as the stock bars with a couple of more inches of rise.
About $20.00 from Chaparral.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:37 am
Do they clear the tank ?
They do hit the tank.  I had to set the grips up so that the starter button and horn buttons don't get pressed.  They really only hit the tank by about 1/2" so I imagine if I go down that's how deep the dent will be.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:55 am
They do hit the tank.  I had to set the grips up so that the starter button and horn buttons don't get pressed.  They really only hit the tank by about 1/2" so I imagine if I go down that's how deep the dent will be.
In my humble opinion , it is not that big a deal to drill and tap the fork stop post. 1 10-32 X 3/8 allen head cap screw on each side of the center post and you guy's wont ever have to worry about denting your tanks again.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:05 pm
Bulletman asked me for a longer write-up including routes so I thought I would post it here for the archive:  I took hwy 17 from Scotts Valley to 280S/680N over the Sunol grade to hwy 84 which goes to Livermore from 680.  In Livermore I took Wetmore rd to Arroyo rd to Concannon Blvd to Tesla Rd.  I took a left on Tesla to Greenville Rd. and then a right onto Patterson pass Rd.  Patterson pass Rd. is really worth it.  If you live in Northern California ride out there and check out the view of the San Joaquin valley with the windmills!  Patterson pass rd takes you to 580 where I went south to Vernalis Rd. across the valley to Modesto.  Vernalis Rd basically turns into Yosemite blvd (hwy 132) that goes up to Yosemite joining up with hwy 120.  Turn off before you get to the Yosemite valley staying on 120 following the sign to the town of Lee Vining.  Whatever you do, don't go to the Yosemite valley in the middle of summer unless you like crowds and traffic!

There is a dirt road called Saddlebag lake Rd. that goes to Saddlebag lake that is worth checking out as well as a neat little campground at Saddlebag lake.  The road takes you above 10,000 feet which is worth it for bragging rites but it's not difficult or anything, it's a really well groomed road.  I would have camped there but it was full.  We went instead back on Tioga pass toward Lee Vining and stayed at the national parks Lee Vining campground.  That was full too but we lucked out in getting the last spot by a fluke.  We were there a month ago and the place was deserted but it's the full swing of summer now.

On the way back we went to Lee Vining and had breakfast.  Lee Vining is a nothing town but it overlooking Mono Lake which is cool.  We took hwy 395 North to Bridgeport and then left on Sanora pass (hwy 108) which is just as nice as Tioga pass if not better for nice curvy rd.  Another thing to see between Lee Vining and Bridgeport is Bodie ghost town.  It's a cool state park at an abandoned gold milling town.  You can take a dirt road that I've been told is in bad shape off of 395 past Mono Lake to Bodie and then another dirt road to Bridgeport.  I havn't been on those roads but they sounds fun.

Another thing to note is that there are a lot of dirt roads and off-road recreation to be had on the back side of Sanora pass and you can camp anywhere among those hills.  Tioga pass, being closer to Yosemite was more regulated for wilderness camping and the dirt roads were fenced off.

After Sanora pass I rejoined with 120 in the valley past the town of Sanora and stayed on the major freeways because my wasp sting kept swelling and itching and spreading.  I usually take Benadryl to prevent my reaction but I didn't want it to make me drowsy for the ride home so there was a push to get home so that I could medicate.

On a future trip to the area I would like to go back to Sanora pass to explore and camp on the dirt roads there.  I kept passing the trail-heads and they were calling me but I only had to get back to work the next day  >:(

Thank you for the Detailed Write up Jartist, Its much appreciated, I'm looking forward to planning a trip soon.
Cheers
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011