Author Topic: Tioga pass, California rally?  (Read 6436 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 22, 2012, 01:56:23 am
After reading about epic rides on Enfields in the Himalayas I'm thinking a mountain ride may be in order.  Anybody interested coming along for a weekender over Tioga pass? I'm starting in Santa Cruz early on Sat, July 28th, camping overnight in the eastern Sierra and returning on Sunday. Tioga is the highest pass in California at just shy of 10,000' that passes through Yosemite.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:33:47 am
 Man, I would love to join you jartist but it's just alittle too far from SoCal. Sounds like it would be incredible though.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:42:52 am
Jack, you could ride up I-5 a ways and stay in a hotel, or even ride up hwy 1 to Santa Cruz on Friday where I'll put you up and then we ride through Tioga on Saturday and then on Sunday you could ride back hwy 395.

BTW, I'm thinking an end of September trip to Death valley is in order.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:53:44 am
 I have given it some thought, it's 396.3 miles , 5 hrs. 49 min. from San Bernaghetto. Let me sleep on it. Maybe I could  talk Bare into it. Also, Death Valley in September ? Sounds like a fast way to die from heat stroke. You really want to go there in the fall or early spring. I will now ponder and get back to you.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 05:15:01 am
Is end of September too early for Death valley?  If so might have to put it off till october.  It's hard to plan a camping trip there when the days aren't too hot but the nights won't freeze.

Another good meet up spot halfway between north and south cali would be Carrizo plain but that's a spring thing. For now I've got my sights on Tioga but we've got to get more of these things going in the future.  I'm a little jealous of hearing about other folk's group rides!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:21:20 am by jartist »

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:37:55 am
Hi Jartist,
Sounds like fun. I have one issue that I need to consider, Im still in a break-in  stage with the C5, I have 395 Miles in so far and am wondering if A trip of this length would be a feasible thing at this time? All suggestions would be welcome.
Mark F.  Stockton, CA
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03:48 am
Just my opinion but until you get over 600 miles on the bike it is best to try to stick to the recommended break in speeds.

The bike is totally capable of going the distance but it is still somewhat tight in some areas and putting it on the road at sustained highway speeds (60+ mph) won't do it any good.

If you know of some route where you can cover the distance at 45-55 mph and vary the speed from time to time to let it cool off a bit it should be able to take you there.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:34:25 am
Thanks for the feedback Jim, I have travelled to Tioga and Yosemite Via Car many times, Unfortunately I dont think there is a mellow or slower route to the spot, I guess I will wait this one out till I get the break-in done properly. I am sure Jartist and threst will have a awesome trip.
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 03:52:09 pm
No problem, bulletman; you have five days to put 205 miles on your bike and change the oil and then your good to go!

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 04:55:05 pm
Hi Jartist, I am working on it. I hope to get the feat accompli.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 05:24:31 pm
 After giving it alot of thought, I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline. It's just too far for my old ass. My common sense kicked in and it reminded me that I can't even ride for an hour and a half without my tailbone screaming at me. A new seat has been backordered for some time now, we all know how long that could take. Damn I want to go ! I'm just going to have to pass. Jartist, I wish you the ride of a lifetime !

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:41:09 pm
Bummer you can't make it Jack but it is awfully far and one week notice. There will be more rides to come. I too suffer from tailbone pain. I bought a KLR thinking it would be my adventure touring bike for life but I couldn't ride it for more than an hour so I sold it. On the Enfield I can ride all day now after I got the old fashion sprung seat and lower handlebars. Neither are for everyone but the only way I've been able to cope with the tailbone pain is to get a hard seat and lean forward.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 04:42:18 am
Rally didn't happen but we're in the midst of the trip. More to follow.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 05:11:50 am
I'm with you in spirit Jartist !!!

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:58 am
I'm sure you are having a grant time.
Cheers