Author Topic: Road Trip Equipment  (Read 5507 times)

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:05 pm
I'm planning a 3 day road trip to the mountains on the Banff-Jasper highway next week. What tools/supplies/gear should I bring to keep my RE running?

Here's a couple of pictures of the on of the most beautiful roads in the world.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:02:42 am
Usual set of wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers plus any large sockets you need to remove either wheel.  If you get a flat it's nice to be able to remove the wheel to get it fixed.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:22:53 am
Some wire, channellock pliers, duct tape, spare plug, spare clutch cable, set of spare bulbs and, as addition to the tool kit,a socket wrench and the nuts necessary to adjust the chain (21mm/24mm? not sure). I have a small box with some replacement nuts, bolts and washers aswell. It´s nice to carry with you all nut sizes used at the bike so you can retighten all of them in case they´re getting loose. But with a channellock plier you´re on the safe side anyway.
Don´t forget to take some photos - and post ´em! Good trip & have fun
Maturin
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:24:46 am
I would also add a good pair of small tire tools, a set of cold patches, and a small pump or tire inflater.  The standard RE tool kit has tire tools, but they need a bit of help.  The corners will cut the tire bead and or tube unless you do a bit of grinding and polishing.  Be sure to round the corners on the curved end.  RE stamps them out leaving a sharp corner.  GA-DK

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:09:08 am
You must also throw in a set of clutch and throttle cables.

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 01:47:33 pm
Hey all -
do the throttle and clutch cable tend to stretch past adjustment or break easily?
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 03:06:00 pm
Hey all -
do the throttle and clutch cable tend to stretch past adjustment or break easily?

If you lube clutch cable in its entirely every 6 months but frequently lube exit points and all the pivot points, they will last a long time. By frequently I mean every 200 miles or every time I wash motorcycle or just whenever I feel that the clutch is becoming slightly harder. Essently you can lube it every other weekend - it will definitely prolong the cable life.

I lube throttle cable at the exit points, near the throttle body, frequently - and only once in a year throughout its entire length.

Just a few squirts at a few places is all it takes to keep them going. My G5 clutch cable and throttle cables are originals after 20,000 miles. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfnkPkDAAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2OQ3Do65Es&feature=plcp

@REdmonton:

Banff and Jasper going by road or by train is one of the best journeys one can do to one of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL places in the world.

Have a safe trip !  Don't forget to take a flash light and a small can of WD40 with you besides what other have said.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:17:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:16 pm
On a C5, is the second nut on the right hand side after removing the 24mm axle nut a 30mm? my 30mm is not a great fit, surely its not whitworth? :-\ Had to borrow an adjustable in France to adjust the chain,and what poxy snailcams they are, Hitchcocks sell a better alternative.
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:58:08 pm
On a C5, is the second nut on the right hand side after removing the 24mm axle nut a 30mm? my 30mm is not a great fit, surely its not whitworth? :-\ Had to borrow an adjustable in France to adjust the chain,and what poxy snailcams they are, Hitchcocks sell a better alternative.

Yes, 30 mm
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:40 am
fuel.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:32:08 pm
Camera
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 02:00:33 pm
What tools/supplies/gear should I bring to keep my RE running?

Full gas tank, cellphone, credit card.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 02:48:01 pm
Take a picture of your bike on the Columbia Icefieids for us to see.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:23:06 pm
Had to borrow an adjustable in France to adjust the chain,and what poxy snailcams they are, Hitchcocks sell a better alternative.

Nfield Gear sells some nice ones, too.
How far are you planning on riding in these three days? It's not like you're making a 3000 mile trip. Jack and I have ridden many 300 mile days and haven't needed anything that wasn't available in the tool kit, except maybe for a roll of electrical tape.A ;air of pliers would be nice to. I stopped for a Hardley rider who was on the side of the road and needed some pliers. The tool kit doesn't  have any in it. If you think you  might have a flat take a spare tube. If your cables are in good shape and lubed they shouldn't be a problem. If they aren't in good shape now, replace them before you go.
Don't over stress over the small stuff. The ride should be fun, not worrying about what could happen.
I have had some unforeseen failures in trips, but have always managed to get home without all the exotic stuff.
You'll never be able to carry enough stuff to cover all possible contingencies. Just freshen up the stuff you have and go for it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:19:40 pm
 A good LEATHERMAN
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack